|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> brake pads

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
grinder613

Northern Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/19 01:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone have part numbers for rear brake pads for a 1999 E450 super duty with duallys. Seems Rockauto sold me a set of Monroe CX 802 that dont fit. Probably head over to NAPA local store and it would be nice to have part numbers to help them out. thanks Al

2000 Coachman Leprechaun 31ss......1999 Ford E450 super duty

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/19 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Think I'd get a set of EBC HH pads.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 07/06/19 06:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

While you are putting brakes on I would "strongly" suggest you replace the front brake lines also. On the Ford 1999 E450 super duty you have to buy OEM only but well worth the price. A known failure for this chassis as it ages.

The 'brake lines will look perfectly fine' BUT they fail on the inside. The inside collapses.

Been there did that. Replaced the brakes only, on the same make and model you have and coming off an interstate ramp and the brakes went out. [emoticon] Thought for sure I was going to die.

Truck stop repair knew right away it was the brake lines. Just saying since you've got it apart I would replace the brake lines also.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Kamphiker

South Florida (this 'aint paradise anymore)

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/19 06:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rockhillmanor wrote:

While you are putting brakes on I would "strongly" suggest you replace the front brake lines also. On the Ford 1999 E450 super duty you have to buy OEM only but well worth the price. A known failure for this chassis as it ages.

The 'brake lines will look perfectly fine' BUT they fail on the inside. The inside collapses.

Been there did that. Replaced the brakes only, on the same make and model you have and coming off an interstate ramp and the brakes went out. [emoticon] Thought for sure I was going to die.

Truck stop repair knew right away it was the brake lines. Just saying since you've got it apart I would replace the brake lines also.

You are referring to the "RUBBER" soft brake lines only ? the Steel metal usually have no issues unless vehicle is operated in salt conditions and rust has pitted the outside OR if the brake fluid is not flushed at proper intervals & moisture has collected & has rusted from the inside

Kamphiker

South Florida (this 'aint paradise anymore)

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/19 06:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brake pads I replaced on my 2006 E350 were Motorcraft (From Rock Auto) Heavy Duty "Police / Emergency" versions. There was a visual difference between the OEM & the Ones I replaced with.

If I need to do another replacement & can't find the same Pads, I would look at AKEBONO mfg. (They are the OEM supplier to a high number of Auto Mfgs.) Have used them on daily drivers. Raybestos Heavy Duty / police duty would be a good choice.

I have slotted / cross drilled rotors & Ceramic / Carbon pads on one vehicle but would Never do this on a RV.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/19 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you do go the NAPA route bring an old pad with you and verify the replacements are correct before you purchase them.

1996 Suburban 4x4. 350, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/07/19 08:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a left front brake flex line fail on our previous Chevy powered '79 Delta Class C , as you described, it almost threw us off a cliff on US 101. It would be good to know how often flexible front brake lines should be replaced for safety sake.

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/19 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bordercollie wrote:

We had a left front brake flex line fail on our previous Chevy powered '79 Delta Class C , as you described, it almost threw us off a cliff on US 101. It would be good to know how often flexible front brake lines should be replaced for safety sake.

Unfortunately, the industry usually replaces brake lines based on a visual inspection or performance complaint and there is no standard replacement interval. In the old days, the flexible lines were supposed to be inspected every time a "mechanic" was under the vehicle during the standard service interval. (6 months or 6,000 miles) Nowadays, that doesn't happen. (unless you do it yourself or specifically request it)

Chum lee

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> brake pads
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS