|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/19 07:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi KD4UPL,

I thought Magnum was great but after mine caught on fire.....

I do admit to pushing it HARD. But I never over loaded it if you believe the specifications.

KD4UPL wrote:

Magnum is a solid unit but probably on the lower end as far as features. Outback is nearly indestructible and has some fancier programming options. I have no experience with Victron.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/19 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KD4UPL wrote:

Magnum is a solid unit but probably on the lower end as far as features. Outback is nearly indestructible and has some fancier programming options. I have no experience with Victron.

Magnum is low end, using what scale?

It's old technology, does that make it low end, or make it "stick with what works?"

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/19 08:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GordonThree,

KD4UPL said low end on features--not on quality. He fixes inverters and the like so has a better idea than most of us about what parts are inside.

The fact he has not seen a Victron and loves Outback is to be listened to.

I think Victron is far older than Magnum. Nice big fat transformers, etc.

allen8106

Burrton. KS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/19 11:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have one of the smaller hybrid Magnums and love it. Hybrid means it's a Charger/Inverter. they are designed to charge the batteries from solar panels or from the electrical grid.

2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 51

Itinerant1

Itinerant

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 12:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

allen8106 wrote:

I have one of the smaller hybrid Magnums and love it. Hybrid means it's a Charger/Inverter. they are designed to charge the batteries from solar panels or from the electrical grid.

From the Magnum manual:

Why is the MSH-M Series a “Hybrid”? Most inverters only use one source of energy to power the inverter loads—either from the incoming AC power (i.e., shorepower or generator) or from the batteries. The MSH-M Series combines the energy from both the AC input and the batteries to power the inverter loads. This feature gives the inverter the ability to recharge the battery when there is surplus power, or to deliver more power to the loads if they require more than the AC input can supply by itself.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

Hybrid does not refer to charging from solar panels. Nor does it mean it is an inverter/charger--but all hybrids would be inverter chargers.

allen8106 wrote:

* This post was edited 07/16/19 12:56pm by pianotuna *

Planning

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/19 10:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KD4UPL wrote:

Magnum is a solid unit but probably on the lower end as far as features.

Sir,

We do not boondock whatsoever; we travel from pedestal-to-pedestal, (and remove batteries place on a Deltran battery tender during the winter.)

The RV uses a Progressive 9280 with integral "Charge wizard" for battery charging.

We currently operate using a Magnum CSW2012-X Pure Sine Wave Inverter
(2000W) with remote monitor. Thus far it has worked flawlessly; it is used for the residential reefer while driving. It is not a battery charger type inverter.

My question is, in the event of inverter failure/replacement needed, do you have any recommendations for a similarly sized/featured pure sine inverter (inverter only, no battery charging needed)?

(I prefer to perform my research before a need arises.)

2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/19 11:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Planning,

2000 watts is "over kill" for running a residential fridge. I doubt the Magnum will fail.

1000 watts should be just fine. Samlex is a good name. https://www.amazon.com/Samlex-SSW-1000-1........ateway&sprefix=samlex%2Caps%2C254&sr=8-8

Victron makes a nice 1200 watt PSW unit: https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Energy-In........inverter&qid=1563427574&s=gateway&sr=8-4

Planning

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/19 11:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hi Planning,

2000 watts is "over kill" for running a residential fridge. I doubt the Magnum will fail.

Yes, I knew when I specified the size it was larger than needed. The one thing I like about overkill is that it always kills [emoticon]

I am thankful for your confidence in the robustness of it.

I would prefer to stay at the 2000w capability, with the same features as the existing (remote monitor panel, integral transfer switching, A/C pass through, etc).

Do those companies make comparable models with that feature package?

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 12:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes both companies do. But there may be a significant price jump.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Do It Yourself Modifications a...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS