|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 4WD or 2WD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/19 01:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

"The marketers have done a great job of convincing everyone you've gotta have 4WD."

And there be a huge amount of truth in that statement. How many of those suburban grocery getters ever have a real use for a pickup, let alone a 4WD pickup? But that's what sells.

Not as much truth as you would think. By and large most NON-SALES regular everyday folks seem to say, "Better to need it and not need it than have it and not have it," or whatever the saying is...

There isn't THAT much more maintenance. There isn't THAT much less reliability (It's not the 1970's anymore!!!). There isn't even that much additional cost anymore.

So all that said, what gives YOU the right to own a pickup truck any more than the ones that buy them and do nothing but haul groceries?

Answer: NOTHING. An RV is a luxury even more so than basic transportation. If a person doesn't need a pickup truck to get groceries, you REALLY don't need a second home on wheels, let alone a big fuel guzzling pickup truck to drag it around.

Aren't you glad we live where we're allowed to buy what we WANT, and we're not told that we have to live in a 900 square foot apartment, and drive a Soviet "people's car?"

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/19 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

"The marketers have done a great job of convincing everyone you've gotta have 4WD."

And there be a huge amount of truth in that statement. How many of those suburban grocery getters ever have a real use for a pickup, let alone a 4WD pickup? But that's what sells.

Not as much truth as you would think. By and large most NON-SALES regular everyday folks seem to say, "Better to need it and not need it than have it and not have it," or whatever the saying is...

There isn't THAT much more maintenance. There isn't THAT much less reliability (It's not the 1970's anymore!!!). There isn't even that much additional cost anymore.

So all that said, what gives YOU the right to own a pickup truck any more than the ones that buy them and do nothing but haul groceries?

Answer: NOTHING. An RV is a luxury even more so than basic transportation. If a person doesn't need a pickup truck to get groceries, you REALLY don't need a second home on wheels, let alone a big fuel guzzling pickup truck to drag it around.

Aren't you glad we live where we're allowed to buy what we WANT, and we're not told that we have to live in a 900 square foot apartment, and drive a Soviet "people's car?"
Geeze, where do you get the idea that I'm telling people what to drive? Get over it.

My comment was in agreement that the marketing department drives the market, and not vice versa. And the marketing department pushes 4 WD whether you live on a farm, or live in the city.

Believe it or not a free country means I can say that I don't agree with what people buy, or why they buy it. Whether you like it or not.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/19 03:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

Just used 4x4 this evening to back my flatbed trailer uphill on the gravel driveway to its parking spot. It simply wouldn’t happen with a 4x2.

Did it make towing easier?

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Proud"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/19 11:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

From a currently running thread in this section: "Oil sender failed, cluster failed, transfer case seal failed, front hub/bearing failed"

I wonder if "very little additional maintenance" really applies.

My 2WD truck doesn't have a transfer case, or front hubs, or front u-joints or CV joints, front drive shaft u-joints, front differential seals, or additional fluids. So, none of that stuff has failed on my truck nor needed to be maintained.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/19 11:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

falconbrother wrote:

If you get the 2x4 you really must be careful of getting stuck. .

Agreed, 4x4 gets you stuck much better and farther from help.

If you are into off roading or boondock in rough conditions, yes a 4x4 makes sense.

Probably 95% of towing, you never need it. About the only thing handy is low range so you can slowly creep up hills in campgrounds without racing the engine but even that isn't a big problem.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

wnjj

Cornelius, Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/19 12:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

wnjj wrote:

Just used 4x4 this evening to back my flatbed trailer uphill on the gravel driveway to its parking spot. It simply wouldn’t happen with a 4x2.

Did it make towing easier?

Only in reverse.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/19 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some people seem to think a 2wd gas powered tow vehicle with a Class II hitch is just the ticket. Good luck to all of them.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/19 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Durb wrote:

From a currently running thread in this section: "Oil sender failed, cluster failed, transfer case seal failed, front hub/bearing failed"

I wonder if "very little additional maintenance" really applies.

My 2WD truck doesn't have a transfer case, or front hubs, or front u-joints or CV joints, front drive shaft u-joints, front differential seals, or additional fluids. So, none of that stuff has failed on my truck nor needed to be maintained.

Your 1wheeeler peeler does have front unit bearings unless it’s really old. I can’t think of any new vehicles that have conventional replaceable individual bearings anymore.
Good for you. You have a simpler vehicle. What’s your point?
Heck even 1 guy who “hates 4wd” in this thread said when the roads are bad “I take the Subaru”. Oops!! 4wd!

This is about what a person wants, needs, can afford, etc. has nothing to do with right or wrong but geezernet can always turn a simple discussion into a bag of ____!

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 06:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ppine wrote:

Some people seem to think a 2wd gas powered tow vehicle with a Class II hitch is just the ticket. Good luck to all of them.

actually A 4X2 TRUCK WITH THE PROPER HITCH IS A great TV. I have towed for the past 45 years with all kinds of TVs 4x4, 4x8, 4x2. and the ones that actually tow the trailer down the road BETTER, with more control, are 4x2 vehicles. They are more stable, and have a higher towing capacity than a identical truck with 4x4.

Now if you plan on towing your trailer thru the river, or thru the mud. 4x4 would be better until you hit the road.

Having said that. 4x4 can be more fun once you unhook.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

DustyR

USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/19 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have towed with both, I don't see a lot of difference road wise. Both 4x2's I've towed with were fine on a hard surface and certain to hang up on grass or mud.

Coachmen Denali 270FK 32 Ft.
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 4WD or 2WD
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS