RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Running your propane Refrigerators while fueling?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Running your propane Refrigerators while fueling?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Jayco254

Eastern Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

openspaces I have never heard of static electricity from a plastic container, but since I would never dream of plastic being able to carry a charge. however since you have evidently had proof and first hand knowledge of this, from now on just too be safe I will always put my containe3rs on the ground just too be sure. It's not worth it to chance messing up a trip not counting the possible pain and destruction just because I was too lazy to lift a tank and put it on the ground this will also go for my boat tanks. Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it.

Tom, Kathy, Nikki, & Kelly
Pets: Lady - Texas Heeler, Dinger - Rhodesian Riidgeback Mix
2008 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 5.4 ci 3.73 gears
2008 Dodge Ram SLT Big Horn 4x4 5.7L Hemi 3.92 gears
2007 Jayco Jayfeather EXP 254
Husky W/D, P-3

seaeagle2

seattle

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/19 07:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/98-111/pdfs/98-111.pdf?id=10.26616/NIOSHPUB98111
CDC has heard of plastic gas tanks with static charge

2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

Edd505

Elephant Butte, NM

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/19 10:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you might be struck by lightning while refueling too. How many have ever seen a hose leak?? Been driving 50 years and that's a 1st for me.

2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

jamesu

Camano Island, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/19 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess I am in the minority, but I close the propane line at the TT just before starting underway. I never drive with propane turned on.

We keep the fridge closed until we get to that night’s destination and then either plug in shore power or turn on the propane, whichever is the case at the next campsite. The contents stay cold. So many things can happen while underway, so why add to the turmoil should we get into an accident and somehow the open propane line gets cut?

To each his own, but it seems like common sense to me.

2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

bid_time

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/19 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

seaeagle2 wrote:

https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/98-111/pdfs/98-111.pdf?id=10.26616/NIOSHPUB98111
CDC has heard of plastic gas tanks with static charge
I don't have a plastic or carpeted bed liner so I'm good to go.

bid_time

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/19 07:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jamesu wrote:

To each his own, but it seems like common sense to me.
wouldn't common sense indicate you also shouldn't drive to your destination, which is hundreds of times more dangerous then keeping the propane on?

Which just goes to say you have selective common sense, just like the rest of us; some dangers you accept and some you choose to ignore.

Woodtroll

Appalachian Mtns, SW Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/19 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just because it hasn't happened to you yet, doesn't mean it won't or can't happen. A few years back, in our neighboring county, a gas station was destroyed and and employee lost his life when an RV refrigerator ignited a gasoline spill that the employee was trying to mitigate. The ignition source was confirmed by witnesses and the police investigation.

So for those of you that are basically saying, "I'll do what I want to do, heck with everyone else", I would ask you how you would feel if your actions cost someone their life?

Unlikely, yes. Possible, definitely.

2003 F250XL 4WD 7.3L Crewcab LB, 6 speed; Prodigy brake controller; Big Tex grille guard/ deer deflector. Canoe hauler and camping truck extraordinaire!
2003 Layton 242 Scout- Extra batteries, solar panels, LED lighting, and propane for boondocking.

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Link? I always hear this type of story, but I don't think I've ever seen it actually corroborated.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

Woodtroll

Appalachian Mtns, SW Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/19 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TurnThePage wrote:

Link? I always hear this type of story, but I don't think I've ever seen it actually corroborated.

I wish I could provide a link; I actually looked before posting this because I knew folks might be skeptical or dismissive. But this happened sometime, to the best of my recollection, between 1999 and 2003. It was in Wythe County, VA at a station off an exit ramp of I-81. "Googling" what I know only turns up some more recent unfortunate gas station incidents in Virginia, but these are not RV related. I was working at the time with two of the firefighters who worked this incident, who I trust completely, and I remember reading for myself the news accounts of this event when it happened and then a little later when the unfortunate gentleman died. I also remember that this whole scenario was being debated here on RV.net even back then, and it caught my attention because I thought to myself, "Well, that proves it can happen". I am not sure there are links to the average news stories at the beginning of the century; maybe someone slicker than I am can find it in an archive of the local paper, The Roanoke Times?.

Vapor density (gasoline vapor being heavier than air) is only part of the equation; who among us hasn't smelled gasoline vapor while standing at full height at some time in their life? Anyone who has been in emergency services for a while will tell you that most catastrophic incidents don't have one single direct cause; there is usually a whole series or chain of events that lead to an incident. I certainly don't want to be one of the contributing factors in the injury or death of someone else, especially if I know better and can do something to prevent that possibility. I understand that others may not see the risk as significant enough to worry about, but I do.

Safe travels, all!
Regan

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/19 05:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yet another advantage of a residential fridge.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Running your propane Refrigerators while fueling?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS