RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Angry wannabe RV police encounter

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Angry wannabe RV police encounter

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
Slate CM

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/19 06:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sunday July 7 we were driving south on US 101 below Yachats Oregon. If you are not familiar, it is narrow and winding with no passing lane for a stretch.

The suggested speed signs for the curves are 20-40 mph and I took them at those speeds. There are a few spots where an RV can pull over and stop if you see it in time and it is not full of cars with people enjoying the view but they are small. I'm certainly not a road hog and have used turn-outs often and stay right on the hills.

I think it was about a 30 minute section and even in my wife's sporty car you can't take the curves much faster than posted so I figured I would be good. Well this guy apparently didn't think so.

We pulled into a grocery store parking lot and he drives up and signals to roll down my window. He then immediately says "I'm an RVer and you give us a bad name, real bad." He also called me many other names which cannot be printed here.

I stayed calm and told him I was sorry about the incident and apologized for slowing him down. This only seemed to anger him more and he said he "Ought to get out and whoop my ass."

First time in 4 years of owning a TT I've seen anything like it.

* This post was edited 07/09/19 02:11pm by Slate CM *

mich800

Pontiac, MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/19 06:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Slate CM wrote:

Sunday July 7 we were driving south on US 101 below Yachats Oregon. If you are not familiar, it is narrow and winding with no passing lane for a stretch.

The suggested speed signs for the curves are 20-40 mph and I took them at those speeds. There are a few spots where an RV can pull over and stop if you see it in time and it is not full of cars with people enjoying the view but they are small. I'm certainly not a road hog and have used turn-outs often and stay right on the hills.

I think it was about a 30 minute section and even in my wife's sporty car you can't take the curves much faster than posted so I figured I would be good. Well this guy apparently didn't think so.

We pulled into a grocery store parking lot and he drives up and signals to roll down my window. He then immediately says "I'm an RVer and you give us a bad name, real bad." He also called me many other names which cannot be printed here.

I stayed calm and told him I was sorry about the incident and apologized for slowing him down. This only seemed to anger him more and he said he "Ought to get out and whoop my ass."

First time in 4 years of owning a TT I've seen anything like it.

If it's any consolation. There are a holes everywhere and you were the target. You could have been someone in a Corvette taking their time sight seeing and would have got the same treatment.

I actually don't mind watching someone loosing their mind when you counter with calmness and rational responses. Just highlights their low moral character.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/19 06:21pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I,m 6ft 1in 230#. I,D have given him his wish.I just hate people who think they own the road, glad you drove at a safe speed .

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/19 06:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Was this a policeman that confronted you, and did the yelling? Your title says "Angry RV police encounter". Local or Highway Patrol? Gotta be a local LEO.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

et2

MI.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/19 06:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry to hear. Some people are jerks. But your thread title is a bit misleading though.

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/19 06:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“Ought to get out and whoop my ass.”

How big was the hoop? Or whoop?

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

RedRocket204

Colorado mountains - Got trail?

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/19 07:04pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Was this a policeman that confronted you, and did the yelling? Your title says "Angry RV police encounter". Local or Highway Patrol? Gotta be a local LEO.

Yeah, the thread title led one to believe what you're saying so should have been "RV police".

I love me some land yachting

Big Katuna

Deland, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/19 07:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got the RV police comment; eg weight police.

A holes are out there. I was on a two lane county road with construction and the traffic was bumper to bumper as far as you could see rolling along 20-30 mph with lots of brake tapping.

I like to leave a 5-10 car length gap so I’m not constantly not using the service brakes.

This moe ron passes me double yellow line honking and shaking his fist flipping the bird
passing me like I caused the backup.

My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/19 07:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe you should use the word “police” more judiciously....i.e. Webster’s definition.

jfkmk

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/19 07:32pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yup, a holes everywhere. I would have finished the discussion by telling him to have a nice day. Perhaps his head would have exploded.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Angry wannabe RV police encounter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS