RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Angry wannabe RV police encounter

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Angry wannabe RV police encounter

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Planning

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/19 09:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be very thoughtful regarding your response to angry people. Sometimes it is like turning the crank on a jack-in-the-box, and the next slight turn can be deadly.

Debating or in any way exacerbating the conflict will not play well to a prosecutor or a jury if a situation escalates to violence. No matter how much you have to swallow your pride, a fight that you avoid is a fight you have won.

Always conduct yourself in such a manner so as to preserve your identity as the innocent law-abiding victim, even in your verbal replies.

When the jury has to decide the identity of the idiot, do not make it a multiple choice test for them.

2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW

azdryheat

Tucson, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/19 09:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've also driven that road and there are many turnouts to let traffic pass. The yellow advisory signs indicating 20-40 mph are posted for the 18 wheeler crowd and not necessarily meant for a car/truck towing a trailer. If you don't feel comfortable towing at a slightly faster speed, I'd recommend taking another route next time.

2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2011 Harley Ultra Limited
2016 RZR 900

TechWriter

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/19 10:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Planning wrote:

When the jury has to decide the identity of the idiot, do not make it a multiple choice test for them.

Good one!

2001 Newmar Mountain Aire 4095 DP
Full Timer since May 2013
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/08/19 10:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Slate CM wrote:

Sunday July 7 we were driving south on US 101 below Yachats Oregon. If you are not familiar, it is narrow and winding with no passing lane for a stretch.

The suggested speed signs for the curves are 20-40 mph and I took them at those speeds. There are a few spots where an RV can pull over and stop if you see it in time and it is not full of cars with people enjoying the view but they are small. I'm certainly not a road hog and have used turn-outs often and stay right on the hills.

I think it was about a 30 minute section and even in my wife's sporty car you can't take the curves much faster than posted so I figured I would be good. Well this guy apparently didn't think so.

We pulled into a grocery store parking lot and he drives up and signals to roll down my window. He then immediately says "I'm an RVer and you give us a bad name, real bad." He also called me many other names which cannot be printed here.

I stayed calm and told him I was sorry about the incident and apologized for slowing him down. This only seemed to anger him more and he said he "Ought to get out and whoop my ass."

First time in 4 years of owning a TT I've seen anything like it.

wnjj wrote:

*flame suit on*

First of all I will say that in no way do I condone the other drivers’ over the top response and threats. I haven’t driven that section a highway for quite some time but a quick look on google maps shows pullouts or other places about every 1000 feet or less. When you refer to it as a “30 minute section” please tell me you didn’t subject anyone to having to follow you that whole time. That could make a reasonable person turn into a raging a-hole. Remember, “fast” in an RV is painfully slow in a regular car. Nobody drives at the recommended corner speeds (which are not law). If you had 5 or more behind you you were actually breaking the law too.

As someone who has been the victim of selfish RV drivers more times than I care to recall, I swore never to be that guy no matter how I had to pull off.

Yes, there will always be those you cannot please but it almost would have had to reached at least a little into the problem range for him to spend the time to try to “educate” you. I congratulate you on the fact that this hasn’t happened before. You must not normally be “that guy”.

Now is when all the older, retired folks rip me a new one...

Well just drove that section of 101 today sans 5er. Yes some tight turns, but also several long pretty straight sections where one should bring your speed up to or near the posted 55 mph. There are several pull offs small day use State Parks, that one could use to allow other traffic to pass.
On the other hand, I don't expect to travel at 55 mph on 101 during the summer, more like 45 to 35 mph, locals should know this and allow for it.
Hwy 101 south of Yachats really is an amazing engineering feat as much was built in the 1930's.

To the OP, what size TT and what are you towing it with.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 07/08/19 11:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wnjj wrote:

*flame suit on*

First of all I will say that in no way do I condone the other drivers’ over the top response and threats. I haven’t driven that section a highway for quite some time but a quick look on google maps shows pullouts or other places about every 1000 feet or less. When you refer to it as a “30 minute section” please tell me you didn’t subject anyone to having to follow you that whole time. That could make a reasonable person turn into a raging a-hole. Remember, “fast” in an RV is painfully slow in a regular car. Nobody drives at the recommended corner speeds (which are not law). If you had 5 or more behind you you were actually breaking the law too.

As someone who has been the victim of selfish RV drivers more times than I care to recall, I swore never to be that guy no matter how I had to pull off.

Yes, there will always be those you cannot please but it almost would have had to reached at least a little into the problem range for him to spend the time to try to “educate” you. I congratulate you on the fact that this hasn’t happened before. You must not normally be “that guy”.

Now is when all the older, retired folks rip me a new one...

X2

This is basically what I was going to post. If you think you can take corners as fast as a passenger car, you are deluding yourself and after 30min in a long line of cars waiting for you to putz along, I wouldn't get out and threaten you but I would certainly be ticked off.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

cpaulsen

Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/19 03:37am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Still cannot understand...……."police encounter". Also....I have traveled 101 a lot in that area nd never had any problems.

cpaulsen

suprz

rhode island

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/19 04:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had an idiot in a Subaru with his wife and kid in the car brake check me while driving my 14,500 lbs 31ft Class C... According to him, he said I cut him off on a 4 lane freeway... Luckily for him, I knew he was going to do something incredibly STUPID when he got in front of me... So him and his family survived. Moral of the story.... People are just too self centered today. They live in their 6ft bubble and most don't care about anything outside that bubble

Proud father of a US Marine

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/19 05:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless I knew the road, I would certainly follow the speed limits "suggested" for trucks.

The times that I've had cars pile up behind has usually been on local roads that I don't know... but I am sure the locals who do know the roads fly along them.

I have found that usually the speed limit signs on roads I don't know are good to follow and I actually treat them as "limit" signs not minimum signs.

I have not had anyone confront me about driving - but there have been instances where I am sure a car driver thought I should have done something different, but for whatever reason I was unable to. Especially moving over on a highway to let someone on... besides not being required to, most times if I move over to the left I will crowd (or worse) cars in the left lane. Then you get into the discussion of "should I cruise while towing on a 3 lane road in the middle or right lane?".

Just drive safe and defensively. And do your best to keep your cool, as the OP seems to have done.

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/19 05:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know I get peeved when I get stuck behind bicyclists that won't pull over on a double yellow line and make you follow them. I imagine it's the same for people who get stuck behind a slow RV. I try to be cognizant of traffic behind me and pull over if needed.

Sorry but to the bloomin idiot that tried to brake check a large RV putting his family in danger there is no excuse for this type of behavior.

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/09/19 06:13am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow! Some of you guys are freakin scary! Pull out a shotgun? Wave a .45?
Ask me again why some want to take away firearms?
For somebody yelling and screaming?
I carry when traveling,but I know what is legal and what is not I know what is wise and what is not.
The only time my gun is coming into sight is half a second before I pull the trigger.It will be for some guy halfway into my rig,or to stop a violent felony in progress. Certainly not for some hothead screaming and waving his arms. Brandishing is against the law in every state I know of.
Ask me again why we are going to lose the Second?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Angry wannabe RV police encounter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS