RV.Net Open Roads Forum: A poll: What does 2 blinks of the left signal mean to you?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> A poll: What does 2 blinks of the left signal mean to you?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Jack Spratt

Maine

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/19 03:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pangaea Ron wrote:

When my oldest son got his driver's license, we had a meeting with our insurance agent. He said that if you see a turn signal on. . . it only means that it works. Don't trust anyone.

We have a winner

'11 GMC 2500 D/A 4x4
2017 Big Horn FL3750
Arctic Fox 811
'10 Yellow Lab to keep us on our toes.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/19 04:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In my state there is no law posted that the people behind me have a right to drive faster than I am. But we do have a law that states "All trucks, busses, and vehicles pulling trailers must maintain 300 ft intervals." This, if it was self-enforced, would help move traffic on 2 lane roads. What I mean is if you don't know your stuff well enough to pass the car in front of you, and there is not room between you and that car for somebody to drop in and match speed, then you are the one obstructing traffic.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/19 06:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

You were about to turn left, changed your mind after two blinks, got distracted from texting, and veered too far right.

LOL! Me too. The contradictory behavior would make me pass VERY carefully (and quickly because you clearly are confused) once I could clearly see that it was safe. The only sign I know that says "it's OK to pass me" is the arm-wave coming from someone driving farm machinery. Most folks in these parts simply move as far to the right as possible so you can see around them.

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/19 06:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I never ever circumvent the standard printed rules of the road. Never wave someone ahead at a for way stop, never cede my right of way to facilitate someone elses driving. Never. Not because I am a prick or rude, but because rules and etiquette are in place to help us all.
Helpful Hank waving someone ahead or yielding his turn only serve to confuse folks. Driving is hazardous enough with out people just tossing wild cards into the deck!

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/19 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

In my state there is no law posted that the people behind me have a right to drive faster than I am.

There's also no law that you can impede traffic... wait a sec...actually there are laws about impeding traffic...which are there to allow people the right to drive faster than you would like to.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/19 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

In my state there is no law posted that the people behind me have a right to drive faster than I am.

There's also no law that you can impede traffic... wait a sec...actually there are laws about impeding traffic...which are there to allow people the right to drive faster than you would like to.

On a 4 lane road, the law says I must stay in the right lane unless I'm passing somebody. 2 lanes? You can pass if you can do it safely. And because I prefer traffic moves in a safe manner, I watch what is behind me, hug the right so you can see, and slow when you step out. But I have a right to drive at what I judge a safe speed.

troubledwaters

Potomac

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/19 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Missouri 304.011.1 - No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law. Peace officers may enforce the provisions of this section by directions to drivers, and in the event of apparent willful disobedience to this provision and refusal to comply with direction of an officer in accordance herewith, the continued slow operation by a driver is a misdemeanor.

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/19 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

#1 - I've had a few truckers in the US do it to me when I couldn't tell if it was clear ahead of them to execute a pass, usually on an uphill. Hard to imagine any driver being that courteous.

Thing is, most vehicles these days come out of the factories with broken turn signals. Functioning ones aren't always used correctly either. One violation of the rules I see a LOT is when people change lanes in an intersection, turn signal or not. You can get away with it until you're in an accident.

Once most drivers get their licence, they seem to forget the contents of their motor vehicle act in it's entirety. Drives me crazy. I expect drivers around me to play by the same rule book, but apparently I expect too much.

* This post was edited 07/10/19 08:43am by myredracer *

Gil, Deb & Dougal a 15 year old Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH, shocks and Endurance LRE tires
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD crew cab, Bilstein shocks, heavy duty trailering option

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/19 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JIMNLIN wrote:

Years ago ('70s/80s) when I was on the road pulling for a living it was understood 2-3 left blinks meant from my view up front its clear to pass. This was a necessary as most roads were 2 lanes
I wouldn't do it today. Lots of drivers don't know how or are scared to pass on a 2 lane road....so they just tail gate. Young females are the worst.

Ditto this ^^^ except in the 50's and 60's..
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

Corkey05

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/19 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

troubledwaters wrote:

Missouri 304.011.1 - No person shall drive a motor vehicle at such a slow speed as to impede or block the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, except when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation or in compliance with law. Peace officers may enforce the provisions of this section by directions to drivers, and in the event of apparent willful disobedience to this provision and refusal to comply with direction of an officer in accordance herewith, the continued slow operation by a driver is a misdemeanor.

Does anyone remember when the speed limit signs on Hwy's also included "Minimum" speed?

And I have a couple of tickets to show from going below the posted Low Limit. The Minimum began to disappear soon after the Interstate system became our main roadways.

2008 HR Endeavor PDQ - Ford Edge 4 Down
FMCA F374292

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> A poll: What does 2 blinks of the left signal mean to you?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.