RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Rocky Mountains camping

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Rocky Mountains camping

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 09:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

patperry, we discovered that there is great camping all over Colorado, with the possible exception of the part near Kansas (and even that part is nice, if you like wide open sky).

The real issue is what sorts of activities do you like? Do you hike, mountain bike, or fish? Jeeping? Dirt bikes? Do you prefer boondocking or campgrounds?

We've now spent two months in Colorado (two Septembers), and I can see that there is more to do than we could do in a lifetime.

2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/19 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like the Never Summer Range, Mt Zirkel Wilderness, Flat Tops, Grand Mesa, the central part near the Maroon Bells and especially the San Juan Mtns and the Weminuche Wilderness Area.

Thom02099

Loveland,CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/11/19 09:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

patperry2766 wrote:

ppine wrote:

I used to live in Colorado and went to RMNP once. Too crowded. There are so many great places in the state to wander around in.

such as?

Been to Durango area before I had RV then to Ridgway SP and Mueller SP with the camper. Always looking for good recommendations. Thanks

H E R E is a good starting point for things to do in Colorado. As stated above, a lot depends on your interests. Some folks hate the cities, wouldn't be caught dead in them, but there's a lot to do in the various major cities in Colorado, both along the Front Range as well as the Western Slope and intermountain region. Colorado is not a boring state... [emoticon]

2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Thunder Mountain

Lost in the Four Corners

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/12/19 08:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

patperry2766 wrote:

ppine wrote:

I used to live in Colorado and went to RMNP once. Too crowded. There are so many great places in the state to wander around in.

such as?

Been to Durango area before I had RV then to Ridgway SP and Mueller SP with the camper. Always looking for good recommendations. Thanks

We lived in EP from 1980 till 2010. September is absolutely beautiful. It used to be a time for us to catch our breath after a busy summer packed with tourists. Weekends were busy with leaf lookers and elk watchers. The trails and Park were pretty much empty during the week. Now, September is just an extension of summer. It is packed with tourists and the Park is absolute gridlock. We sadly left EP in 2010 because we couldn't take the chaos that is now EP and RMNP. There are many just as nice places to visit in September. Think about Buena Vista/Leadville/Salida, Durango/Silverton, Ouray, or Lake City.

If you "must" go to EP in September, try to arrive on Monday and depart on Friday. Peak leaf time is around the third week of September.

2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2013 Keystone Outback 250RS
2013 Ford F150 FX4 Ecoboost
2 Arctic Cats
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

profdant139

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/19 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree that the east side of RMNP in September is very crowded -- but you can find solitude on the trails. As much as I hate crowds, I am glad we visited RMNP in the fall, at least once in our lives:

[image]
[image]Click For Full-Size Image.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Rocky Mountains camping
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS