|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> 100 amp service

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/19 05:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

Nothing to reply. Listening to answers, trying to figure out how hard it might be to find RV Parks/Resorts with 100 amp service. I hadn't thought about load center, perhaps shedding some load, if only one 50 amp is available, like our 50 amp does when on 30 amp pedestal.
We don't have that coach yet. As I said two years or so down the road, Lord willing. Don't know which coach builder or anything. Looked at some fellow RVers Newmars,a Marathon Coach, Liberty, I think and a couple of others brands.

None of the coaches you list need 100 amp service so we are all curious what coach you might be looking at that does need 100 amp service.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/19 07:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We've looked at several coaches and two or three or so of them did. We didn't just look at coaches based on whether they were 100 amp coaches or not. Don't ask me the year of mfg but they were not more than a couple years old. Which ones I don't remember.
The coaches I posted were not the only coaches we looked at just a few that I remember.

* This post was edited 07/14/19 07:15am by down home *

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/19 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wife says she thinks the Liberty coach was one had two cords.

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/19 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

I have no doubt they exist but they will certainly also be configurable to run with a single 50 amp 240 service. I wouldn’t worry about finding dual 50 amp sites. Just enjoy the journey and adapt.

I do think dual 50 amp sites will become more common as on site EV charging will become in demand. EV tow vehicles and small motorhomes will become more common in the next decade or two and there will be a market for campgrounds that provide on site charging.

Cheers.

Mr.Mark

Out West and Mid South

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/19 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

I'm going to ask Liberty as I've never seen two 50 amp cords and I've looked at a lot of their coaches.

We do have a second cord that comes with the coach that I can connect to a socket at the passenger side rear in the event the shore cord on the driver's side is not working. It is a fairly long cord so it would be heavy to maneuver.

Our regular shore cord is very long (75 feet) so I 'could' connect where ever the 50 amp plug is located.

I'm not sure the reason why a regular full size electric coach would need a second cord unless there was a very special electrical device needing a lot of power.

I can run all four air units (13,500 btu) if I have good power at the pole. I have done that before on a very hot day but I was near the max on amps (about 85 amps). Some converters will put four 15,000 btu roof units which will be difficult to run all at the same time. Liberty has designed the ceiling venting to have no hard turns and run quiet and efficiently. You can certainly hear the air units but the volume of air coming out is amazing. Normally, 2 air units running is fine and 3 will freeze you out, 4 is really over-kill. But, its good to have redundancy.

Safe travels,
MM.

Mr.Mark

2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo w/1,750 lb. ft. of torque, 1.5 baths, 4 slides.
2017 Lincoln MKX AWD V6 335 hp twin turbo.

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/19 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I still think you are confusing 50 amp coaches (which can utilize 100 amps) with a 100 amp coach (2 separate 50 amp cords). Unless the coach had 4-5 AC's on the roof and/or 240 cooktop(s) there would not be a need for a 100 amp coach.
Even Mr Marks' new 2 million dollar Prevost uses 50 amp shore power. If he runs his generator (or inverters from battery) he can utilize additional power but it would still be considered a 50 amp coach.

Mr.Mark

Out West and Mid South

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/19 03:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bill, we cannot tap into the battery bank when on shore or generator power. The choices are shore, genny or inverting.

With the engine running, I will run an air or two as we have four alternators. But, the genny needs exercise and why not run that baby! At 4.5 yrs. of ownership, we have about 380 hrs. on it.

On the new Liberty's, my understanding that the power sources can be shared if needed. The new ones have the Volta Lithium Ion system which allowed them to reduce the size of the genny to a 12.5K Onan.

Safe travels!
MM.

mtofell1

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/19 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The way the RV industry has historically listed electric service size is very misleading to the average person. Any new person (and probably most experienced RVers) is going to automatically assume a 30A service is 3/5 as much as a 50A service.

The problem is the voltage is not listed right after it. Reading it like 30A @ 120V vs. 50A @ 240V is much more clear but I guess that takes to long to read and write.

down home

south

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/19 04:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

30 amp is 30 amp. 50 amp is two legs of fifty amps and a common ground not 100 amps total.

Mr.Mark

Out West and Mid South

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/19 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

down home wrote:

30 amp is 30 amp. 50 amp is two legs of fifty amps and a common ground not 100 amps total.

Well, 30 amp is really not 30 amp either. You get close to that and you will pop a breaker or the system will start shedding if it has that capability.

MM.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> 100 amp service
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS