|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Wind Noise

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
themoons

Salt Lake City

View Profile

Posted: 07/09/19 10:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm still relatively new to the Class A scene. After about 4,000 miles on the road, I'm starting to wonder if the crazy loud wind noise around the windshield is normal. It is really loud on both sides of the windshield, so much so that my wife and I nearly have to yell to talk to each other. On our most recent trip, the sound was nearly completely eliminated when we had a strong tail wind, which made me think maybe we can get rid of it all the time. I just thought it was normal for a class A.

We are driving a Winnebago SunstarLX 35B. Any recommendations on what we can do would be very welcome.

Thanks!

craig7h

Branson MO area

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/19 03:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can not speak directly about the noise in your unit. My ACE (and others) the wind noise was coming from the front grill. The way Thor configured it aloud for the noise. They (Thor) had to send out replace grill screens which stopped the noise. I also get a noise when it rains. Some of the strangest things go on with MH. I would check with the folks at the Winnebago forums.

ACE 29.3 Class A
Road Master Tow Dolly

Bruce Brown

Northern NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/19 03:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What year is your Winnie? It's not uncommon to hear of rust issues with the windshield framework, allowing for excessive wind noise.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/19 06:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you sure it's from the windshield and not the mirrors or even the side windows? I had a similar issue and installed weep hole covers and it stopped a lot of the wind noise.

fishingbob61

cookevill tn

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/19 06:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Put painters tape around the glass and see if the noise is gone, if so you need to work in that area.

Bob and Sue
51 years camping
2005 Fleetwood Bounder DP
2004 Chevy. Tahoe

themoons

Salt Lake City

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/19 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the suggestions. I've looked into the weep hole covers. We are missing one, but I don't think that is where the sound is coming from. It seems more like it is around the sides of the windshield. I think I might try the painters tape along the edge, but it could also be mirrors. I might see if those can be adjusted at all. It just seems ridiculous that they would expect you to have to yell at each other to talk in the front seats. The model is a 2016, so I don't think it is a rust issue.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/19 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fishingbob61 wrote:

Put painters tape around the glass and see if the noise is gone, if so you need to work in that area.

On the F53 between the wind, engine noise, road noise and rattles, it's hard to have a conversation at normal levels.

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/19 10:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

themoons wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions. I've looked into the weep hole covers. We are missing one, but I don't think that is where the sound is coming from. It seems more like it is around the sides of the windshield. I think I might try the painters tape along the edge, but it could also be mirrors. I might see if those can be adjusted at all. It just seems ridiculous that they would expect you to have to yell at each other to talk in the front seats. The model is a 2016, so I don't think it is a rust issue.

I seems pretty unlikely Winnebago built and test drove this model and said "wow it's so noisy in here you have to yell to be heard, Okay let's build a bunch oh these."

I would tape up all the weep holes, the entire perimeter of the windshield and around the holes where the wiper arms go into the body. Then go drive it and see if anything changes.

1996 Suburban 4x4. 350, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/19 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

themoons wrote:

I seems pretty unlikely Winnebago built and test drove this model and said "wow it's so noisy in here you have to yell to be heard, Okay let's build a bunch oh these."

You ever driven a gasser on the F53? I've had three from different manufacturers - noise is part of the game. And I think manufacturers could care less if it's loud or how it rides or any real quality for that matter, as evidenced by the number of complaints and warranty work back ups.

themoons

Salt Lake City

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/19 10:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I did the testing with the tape and the noise is clearly being produced by wind passing by the side of the windshield and the frame. Taping up that seam helped immensely. The sad thing is it seems to be a terrible design flaw. I'll need to check with Winnebago and some windshield installers to see if there is a more permanent fix because I don't really want to drive around with masking tape on my windshield forever. Thanks all for the recommendations!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Wind Noise
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS