|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Sidewinder vs Goosebox vs BD3+1621

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/19 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

royroy, The GB is not any less safe than a regular goose neck set up. What I see is the extended lever arm on the pin box area of the trailer which puts more stress on the trailer frame at the area the pin box is attached to the trailer frame. It is basic mechanical engineering.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Endricken

Alabama

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/19 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hmm,
Are Gooseneck Trailer frame failures anymore common than with standard Fifth Wheel Hitches????
I know personally of at least 2 fellow RVers whose front frames failed with normal Fifth Wheel Hitches, one was the RV Dreamers.
Yes its a Lever, but what does it take to MOVE it and cause damage?
Obviously, generally speaking the forces don't normally exceed the strength/rigidity of the components or nobody would have / sell /continue to use a Gooseneck adapter.
My Front Frame broke after hitting a Horrible pothole, that shutdown the Truck CD player and temporarily disabled the Transmission while using the Goosebox. So the Front frame Pinbox assembly was rebuilt with heaver steel and better welds and I reverted to the Star Performance Glider Gooseneck adapter. No problems since.
The GOOSEBOX was a PITA before it failed. Had to re-air the airbag after almost every tow and they want you to grease the adapter EVERY tow.
The GOOSEBOX was bent sometime after the failure before the frame collapsed.
It was LESS than a year old but REESE WOULD NOT Replace it.
Stay away from it.

Retired USAF
Silver 05 Dodge RAM LB CTD Dually 4Speed Auto SWD 3.73, Westin Sportsman Grill & Taillight Guards,Husky Mudguards, Retractable Ball Hitch, Onboard Air & Horns, MaxBrake - towing 2005 Keystone Montana Big Sky 3670 with Star Performance adapter

jshupe

Austin, TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/19 11:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Endricken wrote:

Hmm,
Are Gooseneck Trailer frame failures anymore common than with standard Fifth Wheel Hitches????
I know personally of at least 2 fellow RVers whose front frames failed with normal Fifth Wheel Hitches, one was the RV Dreamers.
Yes its a Lever, but what does it take to MOVE it and cause damage?
Obviously, generally speaking the forces don't normally exceed the strength/rigidity of the components or nobody would have / sell /continue to use a Gooseneck adapter.
My Front Frame broke after hitting a Horrible pothole, that shutdown the Truck CD player and temporarily disabled the Transmission while using the Goosebox. So the Front frame Pinbox assembly was rebuilt with heaver steel and better welds and I reverted to the Star Performance Glider Gooseneck adapter. No problems since.
The GOOSEBOX was a PITA before it failed. Had to re-air the airbag after almost every tow and they want you to grease the adapter EVERY tow.
The GOOSEBOX was bent sometime after the failure before the frame collapsed.
It was LESS than a year old but REESE WOULD NOT Replace it.
Stay away from it.

You've been posting this all over the Internet on every single thread about the Goosebox for the past couple years. This is an anecdote, not of statistical significance.

2019 RAM 3500 Longhorn HO/AISIN 4x4 CCLB DRW | 2015 Keystone Alpine 3730FB
Random musings (blog): https://www.lifeenroute.com

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/19 11:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 5th wheel frame failures are primarily attributed to Lippert frames. I know Lippert and Reese have a sweet heart deal on the GooseBox, but that does not change engineering.

A goose neck frame is designed totally different from the 5th wheel frames used on RVs. You can beef up a 5er frame and use a goose neck adapter. The Goose Box still has the same extended lever arm ad a goose neck adapter.

I would NEVER by a used 5er that had been used with a GooseBox or any other goose neck adapter.

chiefneon

Livingston, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/19 04:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jshupe wrote:

Any reason you went with the 4" offset ball? I ordered everything today - including a zero offset ball.

Howdy!

I have a Custom Hauler bed on my truck a needed the 4” offset to clear the front of the trough for the Goose Box.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon

redhooker

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/19 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Goosebox is nothing like a gooseneck adapter. Gooseneck adapters add stress to the pinbox and pinbox mount because you are placing a lever (think cheater bar) on the kingpin and torquing the **** out of it.

The goosebox places the same stress on the pinbox mount as a standard kingpin and hitch. The forces are almost identical as the standard hitch/pinbox combo. You are just eliminating the hitch apparatus from the equation. I believe this to be far superior to a ball-mount style “companion” or Anderson hitch. That’s why these are actually approved by Lippert for use on their frames.

The only downside is the Goosebox has a pitiful 4000 pound limit on pin weight-woefully inadequate should you actually use it on a 20k fiver.

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/19 08:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

redhooker, your analysis of the GB is all wrong. I am not wasting time explaining the mechanics of the design.

K

redhooker

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TXiceman wrote:

redhooker, your analysis of the GB is all wrong. I am not wasting time explaining the mechanics of the design.

K

It is not my analysis. This is exactly what the engineers at Lippert will tell you and it is why they approve it’s use on all Lippert frames-they DO NOT approve of any other gooseneck adapters. OP, do not take my or anyone else’s word for it. I would advise you to talk to Lippert yourself as I have.

pressure_welder

brandon

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/19 06:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

while I absolutely agree that the older "leg" versions of the gooseneck adapters create a lot of stress on a fifth wheel frame. The newer style hitches that have come out are leaps and bounds ahead of those.

Personally I was going to go with the goosebox for our 37ft Montana, however unfortunately due to my welding rig deck the side tool boxes wouldn't have given adequate turning radius without possible risk of clipping a box with the goosebox. I was very impressed with the goosebox design, and i certainly will consider it in the future.

SO i decided to go with the ever forbidden Andersen ultimate model made for flat beds. With roughly 1500KM now on that hitch pulling our montana i can honestly say its performing SLIGHLTLY better than my B&W companion, the companion is a stellar hitch no arguments there. And the fact that i can have it unbolted in 2 minutes, and don't need a skid steer to lift it out is money in the bank as far as i am concerned.

Do you guys have any idea how many welding rigs are running down the road with a 36+ foot fiver with a gooseneck ball placed 2 feet behind the back axle, running a goosebox, Andersen, or fifth wheel hitch? Not to mention these welding rigs already have 3000LBS + of gear on their decks, without issue? ive seen/spoken too HUNDREDS that have put a sickening amount of miles on in some of the worst roads. I know some of you will say "well that's not right" but do you really know?

At the end of the day this is how i feel. These companies are putting out a product to which engineers have signed off on after numerous testing phases. Some are approved by lippert, some aren't. But i feel most negative comments on these "new technology" items are from people who have never used them once. They see them on the internet and they make their arm chair engineering decision that they just CANT work, and are a ticking time bomb.

Ive logged a lot of miles with both, and couldn't be happier with BOTH. I think its funny that the fifth wheel hitch fan club is so set in their ways. I am not an advocate for any hitch, in my opinion if the thing works and the company backs their product WHO CARES.

2015 RAM cummins 3500 dually Limited
2018 Montana high country
crestliner sportfish

jshupe

Austin, TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/19 02:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Installed the Goosebox today and am pretty happy with the first tow. Something feels slightly off, it may just be the air pressure in the bag, or something to get used to. I'm going to try a few variations over the weekend.

I can turn a full 90° with the setup, without coming too close to the rails of the bed.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Sidewinder vs Goosebox vs BD3+1621
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS