RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Our good friends got a new Cedar Creek...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Our good friends got a new Cedar Creek...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
ramyankee

North Idaho/Kootenai Country

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/19 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I guess it is actually a 2020. They didn't want to purchase from their local dealer, that huge nation wide chain. So they chose a dealer that they felt comfortable with, a dealer in Ukiah Ca...
Since neither have the class A license he delivered it to them. They are taking the training for the license so officially they have never driven it...
Now comes the good part. The husband was glancing at the 5th wheel, looked up and thought something looked out of whack. Went out bought a longer ladder and when he got level with the roof saw that it had peeled back from the front cap and a bit from the drivers side. His dealer said take pictures and turn in a claim. Side note, before they saw the damage it had rained on it...
Question: what are the chances of telling Cedar Creek they would sure like a NEW replacement? What are the chances of water damage that may end up biting them in the butt later? What are recommendations? Has this happened to anyone?
She has retired within the year and he is retiring at the end of the year. Their FIRST rv ever and now they are both a bit ticked...

Thank you

Rick and Patti ">
2 Proud CONSERVATIVES ">
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2016 Keystone Cougar 284RDB
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY

ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/19 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only time I've heard of RV manufacturers taking rigs back is with legal action. If they're willing to get lawyers involved, they may be able to get the manufacturer to take it back.

Otherwise, I'd wait and see what the manufacturer will do. I'd personally be calling Cedar Creek vs. waiting to hear back from what the dealer does/says.

Often times, a factory return is in order.

I'd definitely be up there patching it in some way temporarily to avoid any further water intrusion.

2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2012 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: B&W Turnover Ball + Companion
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/19 11:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get a tarp or something on it right now. depends on how much it rained as to how much damage there might be. It could be no damage, or it could turn into extensive damage. the only way is to get it to the dealer so they can start inspecting it. But if I were them I would insist that it stays tarped or stored indoors until it was repaired. Many dealers are prone to parking things in the back lot out in the weather for weeks or months while they wait for warranty claims to go through.

Wanting a new one is a normal reaction and I would have the same reaction. Unfortunately that is not likely to happen and they are stuck with the unit they received.

I've never owned a 5th wheel, but is it common to need a class A license to pull one?

1996 Suburban 4x4. 350, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

ramyankee

North Idaho/Kootenai Country

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/19 12:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

Get a tarp or something on it right now. depends on how much it rained as to how much damage there might be. It could be no damage, or it could turn into extensive damage. the only way is to get it to the dealer so they can start inspecting it. But if I were them I would insist that it stays tarped or stored indoors until it was repaired. Many dealers are prone to parking things in the back lot out in the weather for weeks or months while they wait for warranty claims to go through.

Wanting a new one is a normal reaction and I would have the same reaction. Unfortunately that is not likely to happen and they are stuck with the unit they received.

I've never owned a 5th wheel, but is it common to need a class A license to pull one?

The class A is needed due to the weights. I do believe anything over 15000# requires the class A. And we are talking california. So glad we finally were able to move out of there.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/19 12:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ramyankee wrote:

Question: what are the chances of telling Cedar Creek they would sure like a NEW replacement? What are the chances of water damage that may end up biting them in the butt later? What are recommendations? Has this happened to anyone?
None, High but maybe less if stored inside.

Yes stored inside because it will be weeks if not months before it's repaired and then frankly at what quality?

I hate these types of posts - So many go by their car buying experience which is generally consistent and good and wind up with issues. Sure wish we could get everyone to understand that they have to do their own extensive PDI and basically ignore a dealers PDI.

Hoping they have a good dealer and don't get burned but file a claim while necessary doesn't sound like it.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/19 12:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only possible leverage is they haven't towed the rig but otherwise are committed. Just a thought.

Suggest to them that they don't move it - have the dealer move it.

Lwiddis

Monterey, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/19 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“Cedar Creek is dedicated to enhancing the joy of the outdoors and your peace of mind, by building better quality recreational vehicles designed to withstand rugged road conditions and extreme temperatures. Experience Cedar Creek – see where the road leads and enjoy what life has to offer.”

As long as the checks from Forest River keep arriving on time in Omaha...

2015 Winnebago 2101DS TT & Tahoe LTZ, 300 watts WindyNation solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for US flag. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/19 02:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ramyankee wrote:

opnspaces wrote:

The class A is needed due to the weights. I do believe anything over 15000# requires the class A. And we are talking california. So glad we finally were able to move out of there.

I thought it was a combined weight of 26k that was the kicker...

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/19 02:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Over on the KZ forum there's a thread about a brand new FW that had a small fridge fire. Between the dealer and KZ, the owner got another, brand new, FW. Sadly, the dealer repaired the one that had the fire and it's now on their lot listed as "new". Too bad there's not an "RVFax"...

Lyle

Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/19 03:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ependydad wrote:

The only time I've heard of RV manufacturers taking rigs back is with legal action. If they're willing to get lawyers involved, they may be able to get the manufacturer to take it back.

Otherwise, I'd wait and see what the manufacturer will do. I'd personally be calling Cedar Creek vs. waiting to hear back from what the dealer does/says.

Often times, a factory return is in order.

Not necessarily so, our 2017 Wildcat which also is a Forest River product was replaced by the factory with a brand new unit when we had some delamination with the floor (blamed it on the adhesive manufacturer) and a cosmetic issue with the exterior walls. We never dreamed they would replace it nor did we ask them too but they did anyway and who are we to argue with that. The bonus was the new one came with a second AC unit for our troubles, exterior ref. as they are standard with changes in the model, and 16" wheels [emoticon]. They even told us to give them a $$ amount for any aftermarket items that we put on such as new bath faucet, expansion tank, and a inexpensive Henges bath fan. Given the the extra stuff on our new one we said no worries on the items we added.

The manufacturer treated us very well, you may be surprised.

Dan

2013 Chevy crew 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Our good friends got a new Cedar Creek...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS