|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Why does my Truck Camper list toward the driver side

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
maddog348

Bakersfield,CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/19 05:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Of All the things I've ever lost ~ I miss my Mind the MOST ~~ Need help or a swift kick in the ....

Have a 2006 Toyota Tundra double cab. SR5, 4.7 gas ~ 6'6" bed ~ spray in bedliner. ~~~~ Bought 2017 4WheelCamper "Hawk" Shell Dec. 18,2017 [Factory installed date of purchase. 965# +batteries +2 10#propane furnace/cabinet.] No 110v ~ no water ~ no potty ~ no etc,etc, Pretty much nekkid, Camper 'rests' on side to side 1x4's fore & aft of wheel wells rear most 7" in from rear end of camper. 1/4" between camper sides and tail gate opening.. 1 hand thickness camper bottom and floor of truck [I am old my hands are not very thick] Camper sides ride about 1' above sidewalls bed of truck.

Had BF Goodrich ~ All Terrain lt625/70r16 "E" Apr/2018 ~ Firestone RideRiteAirBag pkg installed Oct 2017

Only taken on a few trips as Work in Progress. built side to side bed platform below cab/camper window, Movable Storage under, Campsite leveled as needed with wood blocks ~ never a problem, Carry water bottles ~~ Use Thetford 135 Feb this year.

OK Earlier this year noticed camper 'listing' toward driver side. Unit is usually parked in backyard. OK OK Know backyard not FLAT & Level ~ BUT Driver side rear of camper 1-2 inches lower than Passenger side. Measuring from bottom of 'Jack' bracket to ground. Air bag a little low on that side. Pumped up to 30# ea waited few days down again. Took back tire shop a couple pf times ~ new lines. Still not good ~ Put new 'pod on driver side. WAITING. A little low but could be the yard. Second 'pod'put on passenger side today. Both air pods aired up to 50#. No matter where I put it ~ Which way I face it driver side 1 1/2' low

Also at the last measures RT,RR., turnbuckle a little loose. ~ NEVER ~ Loose before ~~ Connected or coincidence WHat do I measure now. Is this normal. Is this Usable?? Can it be possible that the camper was heavy enough on the driver side with Batteries;Propane ~Furnace~~to cause bed to be lower on that side.

Never noticed a side to side difference until after camper in stalled. Never had 'wings' I had to duck under before . HELP. If can't be helpful ~~ Please be Kind. Thanks ~~ K

* This post was last edited 07/12/19 08:24am by maddog348 *   View edit history

sbryan@vtbryans.com

Vermont

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/19 05:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just a guess but we had a Tundra once upon a time and the suspension was pretty soft - rode more like a car than a truck. So if all your heavy items are on the driver's side of the truck I wouldn't be too surprised if the truck listed to that side. But that was with a Tundra from a few years ago. No idea how stiff your suspension is or what you may have done to beef it up. Our experience with Tundras was that they are reliable and pretty much bullet proof but not heavy haulers. Just a thought...

Shawn
2013 Ford F350 6.7 CCLB Ruby Red SRW, sway bar, Bilsteins, etc
2007 Cyclone toyhauler, 18,000 GVWR
Northstar Igloo 9.5
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-2J3zF6J/0/M/i-2J3zF6J-M.jpg
US Army retired

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/19 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did not follow your post so well, but will chime in.

With a light camper like that then just a little unbalancing of side ot side weight can make it lisp. Ever seen a fat guy in a small car? It will lisp from his extra pounds.

Too often RVs are built out of balance with all the stuff on one side. My last trailer had the fridge, stove/oven, water heater, sink and electric stuff all on one side. The other was a dinnet (light and lots of open air), space heater (way light) and a door (more open space). Though it did not lisp.

Be sure to put your stuff on the side you think is the lighter one.

Also, could be your old truck shows sagged springs when loaded a little that it does not when not.
You say the bed is level? If not then it would not be obvious unloaded, but with a tall thing it would be more obvious.
If you have air bags and they leak, then I would not look further.

Does it lisp enough to be a driving hazzard or just an annoyance that you know it lisp and that bothers you?
Old stuff sometimes you just go with it and don't complain too much, kinda like us old folks.

Sounds like a simple glorified camper shell, maybe low-priced to begin with, possibly not the greatest attention to detail. I have a cargo trailer that has the left wall higher than the right. It is obvious to me looking at the rear door as the roof slopes up to the right. I can't fix that.

Turnbuckles… Does it lisp with them off or loose? It is possible to tighten the first one too tight and that makes it lisp then cannot be corrected by tightening the other side.

maddog348

Bakersfield,CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/19 06:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is becoming pretty much my thoughts. Have had 'shells' on it before but did not notice any 'slant'. This little bugger has 'wings' that stick out a few inches past the truck sides and try to stick me in the face every time I walk by. Duck under. know of any cure. Shocks ??

Tire shop put on second Air pod today and aired them both up to 50# ~ That sure didn't help. Still a little over an inch higher on passenger side. Can the 'tilt' be helped by putting less air on Passenger side to equalize. Not sure these tire shop boys know much about campers.

Thanks for your time. ~~ K

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/19 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve seen a lot of trucks list to the driver side. That includes trucks that hardly ever haul a heavy load.

But, there are TCs that are noticeably heavier on one side or the other especially with tanks full. Air bags are on mine just in case I hit that lean.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

maddog348

Bakersfield,CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/19 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 ~ Thanks for answering. Makes it seem a little more 'normal'.

The 'tire' guys always put equal amounts of air in the pods. Is it OK to put a little more air in driver side and a little less in passenger to level out ?? OR is that a NO NO.

Gonna weigh him tomorrow with a 'Mock' travel load .maybe can move stuff around ~HAHA ~ he ain't very big. Take Care ~~ K

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/19 07:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think adding a bit more air on one side will be fine. If it isn’t, I think you’ll feel it.

Other people here have said they’ve run different numbers to correct a list.

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/10/19 07:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My TC made my 3500 sit lower on the passenger side. That side of the camper had the awning, refrigerator, battery, and generator. Also the waste tanks were offset to that side. I ran about 20 psi more air pressure in the passenger side air bag and that leveled it right up. If you keep putting the same amount of pressure in your bags your just raising the unlevel camper higher in the air. Take some air out of the high side until it's level.

maddog348

Bakersfield,CA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/19 07:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

THANKS GUYS !!! ~~ TakeCare ~ TravelSafe ~ HaveFun

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/19 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi.
What I think you're getting at is there could be multiple causes or factors to the truck listing. I'll try to enumerate potential causes and effects or remedies as I'd look at it.
1. Front and back lower on 1 side, or just rear? Be on flat levelish surface. Equal air or no air in the bags, measure wheel well to top or center of tire/wheel. This will give you accurate measurement.
2. Does truck list without camper? It's not a newer truck, could be old suspension, sagging spring or 2, front or back. Do the same with empty truck to determine it's the camper causing it. Camper could exaggerate it if truck already a little saggy.
3. Is it the truck, or the camper sagging? Sounds not likely the camper. New camper, equal spacers under it. I would spread the load more than just a couple boards though (separate from figuring out the sagging.)
4. Sounds like airbags were leaking down. With that fixed, can eliminate that.
5. It's 100% plausible that the camper is heavier on one side AND/OR truck is softer spring rate on one side, one corner. It's also 100% acceptable to adjust the pressure side to side to side to level it out. It shouldn't take much difference, 5-10psi, or I'd look elsewhere for the problem. I regularly run different pressures side to side if I'm airing up at home and catch it. OR if the camper is heavier, maybe can offset load it by a couple inches. I do or have done both. No guarantee camper weight is centered in the middle of the camper.

Hope this helps

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Why does my Truck Camper list toward the driver side
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS