|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Was rear ended on the highway

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Next
Sponsored By:
Kennydean

GA

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/19 06:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello, this was my third outing and the beginning of my vacation I have a 27 foot cougar fifth wheel 2015. I pull it with my ram 1500. I was driving on the highway and was rear ended by a car going 82 miles an hour and they didn’t even put their brakes on so it hit me with full force. The backend of my trailer is damaged and inside there is some damage like the back wall looks like it’s buckled in and pieces of paneling is off and the force of the hit pushed my fifth wheel receiver that was in my slide to the front of the slide back-and-forth. It also pushed my slide out of my trailer about 6 inches. My transmission in the truck does not work and my truck bed almost hits my tires. I am at a campground and I have USAA insurance. I cannot drive the truck or cannot disconnect the truck from the camper. I got a loaner car and went to the doctor and tomorrow the adjuster comes out to check on my truck and camper. Does anybody have any advice that I need to know Before the adjuster comes out to see if my trailer and truck are totaled. I’m all alone I am a wounded warrior with a brain injury I need some advice please as I’m lost in this area. Also I must be off the site Monday morning. Thank you

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 07/10/19 11:40pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your description is anywhere close to accurate...trailer is totaled.

Truck is less clear from the description but if it's older, that's fair possibility.

Go take lots of pictures now (ideally would have been better at the accident scene) and get a copy of the accident report. Information is your friend if you need to prove something later.

Also, if you have any pains or injuries, go get medical attention now. Waiting a week makes it harder to prove it was related to the accident.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

RandACampin

Kathleen, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/19 06:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If they hit your trailer at 82 mph like you said you would not even have a trailer.

Being a Wounded Warrior is not germane to the situation. As a Vet myself I can appreciate your sacrifice but leave it out of the plea for help, it lessens your and other Vets service.

If you have USAA like you said that is your contact...not here call your insurance company and let them you what you have paying them for.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/19 07:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh, man, that sucks. I agree with the taking pictures advice. Best of luck getting made whole from this.

Yosemite Sam1

Under the pines.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/19 08:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I feel for you.

Put your priorities are lined up properly and well fist -- yeah, it's your health and well being first.

As to the adjuster, imply you might be getting a lawyer if you feel you are being given the shaft.

A total loss, seems the case for all your units.

Good luck and hope everything tuns up well.

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/19 09:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did the driver that hit you have insurance? If so, do they have high enough liability limits to cover a total loss? If the answer to either question is "no", do you have "uninsured/under insured" on your policy?
Your insurance company should be able to help guide you through the process of repairs, rental cars, additional expenses etc. Make a complete inventory of everything in the trailer and remove anything you can that is of value before it goes to the shop. If it is repairs, not replacement, be sure to seek "loss of value" compensation since repaired vehicles are not as valuable of the equivalent vehicle or trailer with no repair history.
If they are totaled, it might be a good time to consider up-grading if the rigs weren't 100% perfect for what you do. It will likely be a time consuming slog, but most times a grudgingly agreeable outcome is achieved. Good luck.

BTW, how do you know they were going 82 MPH and not 81 or 83 or anything else? And how do you know they weren't braking before the collision? Almost all vehicles have anti-lock brakes that do not leave skid marks. A rear end collision is almost assuredly the fault of the driver that hits the rear end, but don't go adding opinions or speculation when you make your reports. That will quickly raise a red flag in the eyes of an experienced investigator. No sense creating issues when there are none.

Bird Freak

Dallas Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/19 09:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would not be surprised if both are totaled. On the bright side I have found in all my years in the body shop business that USAA is a great company to deal with.

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

D.E.Bishop

Eagle Rock, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/19 09:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One word of advice is do not, I repeat, Do Not say attorney to the adjuster or anyone else for that matter. If you do, the insurance company has the right to quit talking to you and deal only with your attorney. Just state the facts and you "know" them to be and be prepared to back them up.

I am sorry that this happened to you, you have suffered enough and dealing with the VA is hard enough but trying to deal with a money making company is ridiculous. Keep cool and if they are stonewalling or not receptive to your predicament, refuse to talk to them and get a lawyer but don't threaten they. You don't have to sue for injury if you don't have any but you can sue for damages and attorney's fees.

"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
Back to a 2006 Suzi GV
Roadmaster 5000
Roadmaster Invisibrake

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/19 10:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You state the other vehicle was going 82, how fast we’re traveling at the time? If he hit you standing still I think he would have like been in the bed of your truck.
Sounds like you must have been going about 65 to 70 at the time.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

p220sigman

Tallahassee, FL, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/19 10:45am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glad that it was no worse than it was. As was said, take plenty of pictures of everything. I'm a bit confused though, did the other driver have insurance? If so, are you dealing with their adjuster? Just remember that if you are dealing with their insurance, you don't have to accept their offer. With your own insurance, you likely have an arbitration clause which makes it more difficult to get their stated value of the claim raised, but you don't have a similar agreement with other driver's insurance (assuming they have insurance). USAA has been a great company to deal with for us, but at the end of the day, they are in the business to make money and will have their interests in mind first.

I don't usually jump to recommending an attorney, but in your case, you might want to consider at least talking to one as you may end up with a rather complex claim. An attorney can help you navigate these waters to ensure you are treated fairly.

Good luck and thank you for your service.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Was rear ended on the highway
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS