|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Battery Maintenance

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Beaver Thunder

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/19 07:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

The Xantrex Freedom is a programmable charger If it is set properly (The default should be proper for your batteries) it will do a very good job.

Monthly addition of water (Depends on how much) is Well you should check em monthly but Mine went 4 years before I needed to add. Progressive Dynamics 9180+ wizard.

But if you only need to add a cup or you are in about the same use rate.

So I checked the charger settings and I noticed that the Battery Capacity is set at the default of 250AH. Do I need to add the house batteries and the chassis batteries even though the Xantrex is only hooked up to the house batteries, the chassis batteries are connected via the magnum combiner?

My understanding (math), the 2 20Ah 6V in series would make a 12V, 40Ah bank and then when connected in parallel to the same would make a 12V 80Ah bank. The chassis batteries, which have approximately a 160Ah, so do I set the inverter charger battery capacity at 80ah or the combine total of 240AH.

* This post was edited 07/11/19 07:41pm by Beaver Thunder *

wolfe10

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beaver Thunder wrote:

My understanding (math), the 2 20Ah 6V in series would make a 12V, 40Ah bank and then when connected in parallel to the same would make a 12V 80Ah bank. The chassis batteries, which have approximately a 160Ah, so do I set the inverter charger battery capacity at 80ah or the combine total of 240AH.

NO.

First, I would be surprised if any 6 VDC batteries were only 20 Ah. Check them again.

But when wired in series 2 20 Ah @ 6 VDC batteries= 1 20 Ah @ 12 VDC battery.

Wire that in parallel with another pair= total battery bank of 40 Ah @ 12 VDC

Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

FMCA Forum: www.community.fmca.com/index

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Beaver Thunder

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wolfe10 wrote:

Beaver Thunder wrote:

NO.

First, I would be surprised if any 6 VDC batteries were only 20 Ah. Check them again.

But when wired in series 2 20 Ah @ 6 VDC batteries= 1 20 Ah @ 12 VDC battery.

Wire that in parallel with another pair= total battery bank of 40 Ah @ 12 VDC

Yes, your correct, the battery website chart is confusing and I misread it. There's only the model number listed on the batteries. They are Deka, GC10, there's two columns, a 20ah and 5ah, 20ah had 215 listed and 5ah has 157ah listed?

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In four years, I've yet to add water to my batteries. Glad to hear you found the issue with the Xantrex. Very satisfied with mine. Of course, you'll want to check the levels, keep them clean etc. during your regular maintenance, right? But, don't overthink things unless you have an issue. Enjoy the coach and go camping....Dennis

A Simple Act of Caring Creates an Endless Ripple
Dennis and Debi Ten Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Battery Maintenance
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS