|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2017+ Powerstroke 6.7 Fuel Filter

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Lynnmor

Red Lion

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/19 07:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:

the under hood filter is the same as on my 14, one of the eaisest fuel filters I have changed in a newer vehical. no special tools needed and very easy to get off. the only issue I have come up with is it hanging up in the bracket at times.

Steve

I believe that a 2014 has two fuel lines attached to the filter and the 2017 has three, with the added fuel line being the tiny fragile one.

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/19 03:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I certainly don't have any interest in ordering and stocking spare parts that I will likely never use. I might change the primary filter once in the time I own a truck but it's unlikely I'll ever change the under hood filter.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

harmanrk

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/19 06:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

I certainly don't have any interest in ordering and stocking spare parts that I will likely never use. I might change the primary filter once in the time I own a truck but it's unlikely I'll ever change the under hood filter.

When you buy the kit, it comes with both filters (You may be able to buy them individually, but I did not see that as an option when I ordered mine), so I don't know why you would not replace them together.

That said, I have the replacement filter in front of me, and it certainly appears that all three lines are sturdy. Yes, one is half the diameter as the others, but the plastic is nearly the same thickness.

2017 Ford F250 CC-SB SRW PSD
2013 Solaire 190x

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/19 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

Remind me never to buy a used vehicle from you!

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/19 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

harmanrk wrote:

That said, I have the replacement filter in front of me, and it certainly appears that all three lines are sturdy. Yes, one is half the diameter as the others, but the plastic is nearly the same thickness.

Did you actual watch the video?

It is not the fitting in the filter that is the issue, it is with the quick disconnect fitting on the return hose that attaches to the filter.

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/19 09:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lynnmor wrote:

StirCrazy wrote:

the under hood filter is the same as on my 14, one of the eaisest fuel filters I have changed in a newer vehical. no special tools needed and very easy to get off. the only issue I have come up with is it hanging up in the bracket at times.

Steve

I believe that a 2014 has two fuel lines attached to the filter and the 2017 has three, with the added fuel line being the tiny fragile one.

I will have to check, you might be right. I need to do my filters again in a couple weeks.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/19 10:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

harmanrk wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

When you buy the kit, it comes with both filters (You may be able to buy them individually, but I did not see that as an option when I ordered mine), so I don't know why you would not replace them together.

When I bought mine they came in kits as well but I don't change fuel filters unless i feel there is some reason to. So on one truck I changed the primary when I had a problem with the fuel gelling. Changing the primary was enough to get me going again. The other truck had its primary filter changed after putting DEF into the fuel tank. I disconnected the fuel line at the under hood filter and pumped all the fuel out of the truck through the low pressure side. After emptying the tank I changed the primary filter just to be sure I had gotten all the DEF out of the system. So far I haven't come across any need to change the fuel filter on my latest truck..... it only has about 25000 miles on it.

ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 12:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

harmanrk wrote:

4x4ord wrote:

When I bought mine they came in kits as well but I don't change fuel filters unless i feel there is some reason to. So on one truck I changed the primary when I had a problem with the fuel gelling. Changing the primary was enough to get me going again. The other truck had its primary filter changed after putting DEF into the fuel tank. I disconnected the fuel line at the under hood filter and pumped all the fuel out of the truck through the low pressure side. After emptying the tank I changed the primary filter just to be sure I had gotten all the DEF out of the system. So far I haven't come across any need to change the fuel filter on my latest truck..... it only has about 25000 miles on it.

That is surprising you have not had an issue. I have had mine go into limp mode with a plugged fuel filter. I change it when the computer says to and use a GM filter that I have them install, easy enough to do, especially with the filter location on the L5P, but I want it documented. May be wasting some money on an install that I wouldn't have to, but it might pay me back some day.

2006 GMC 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 12:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We order 65000 liters of fuel at a time and let it settle in the tank for a day after delivery before pumping it. We seldom see a fuel filter require changing on any of our equipment.

ksss

Eastern Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 12:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Still amazes me you get away with no filter changes.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 2017+ Powerstroke 6.7 Fuel Filter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS