RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: New Trailer with 50 amp service?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> New Trailer with 50 amp service?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/19 04:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

I don't understand why you would need two adapters for the Hughes.

I use an autoformer partly because my RV is 30 amp. I always check polarity and voltage under load before I plug in my unit.

I do have an inverter/charger that does load support--but that doesn't mean it does voltage support.

There are autoformers from Mexico that can support 50 amp. I have the Sola Basic (4000 VA) which both boosts and bucks voltage.

The Hughes folks do have a 50 amp autoformer, which supports both legs of a 50 amp RV. To use it with 30 amp shore power, a 30 amp to 50 amp dogbone adapter would be needed. This would be a good item to own.

The reason for having an ems, on 50 amp, is the risk of having an open neutral. That can present up to 240 volts on one leg, causing damaged to most of the 120 volt devices on that leg. The EMS would disconnect, or prevent current flowing when plugging in.

Or, alternately it would be quite possible to have 140 volts on one leg, and just 100 volts on the other. If an air conditioner were run on the 100 volt leg, it may be permanently damaged, what's even worse, is, the damage can 'sneak up' on you, as the damage is cumulative.

Get a top of the line EMS from Progressive Industries.

There is much lower risk with a 30 amp RV and I have superior surge repression on the RV. I do most often run with the Sola Basic autoformer as low voltage damages a lot more RV's than high voltage.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

sgfrye

north carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/19 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dpgllg wrote:

Progressive Industries EMS is a very good protection system. I have the portable unit and no issues.

You will need to get a 30 amp to 50 amp adapter as well.

The other comments about not running 2nd air and microwave are all valid. Just watch what things you are powering on.

I just spent the 4th of July at a 30 amp campsite and my 5th wheel is 50 amp. We had no electrical issues at all.

Dave

everything has already been said but yes, same results with us and the progressive ems

the ems has worked as it should for us a couple times on low voltage situations

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> New Trailer with 50 amp service?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS