RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Opinion on Resort Fees ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Opinion on Resort Fees ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
doxiemom11

Somewhere between MI and TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/19 09:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My understanding is that the resort fee is added for anyone who is not a paying member of the resort, as in they purchased a membership or are owners of a lot in the park.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/19 06:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not a fan of these "resort" fees myself, either cgs or hotels, but if it's clear upon registration then as others have stated you can just go elsewhere. If it's tacked on after-the-fact then that is indeed fraud. My suggestion would be to just pay with a credit card then dispute it immediately. Second thing to do would be to contact the state's AG and have them investigated for fraud.

I don't think anyone "likes" the extra fees that are tacked on. It is what it is with options of going elsewhere, picking a fight over it or just staying home.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

buc1980

houston tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/19 07:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What you do if they are the only one with space available drive another 100 mile? Just pay and shut up.Is not right but what can we do give up camping?The price in some area getting ridiculous high .

2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,14750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/19 09:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fitznj wrote:

I thought the Marriott Hotel chain just got fined for doing this.

The advertised a rate then added "resort fees" on checkout - I believe they
have been ordered to reimburse their customers for the "resort fee".

How's this any different?

Marriott was not mentioning the resort fee until the bill was presented at checkout time, at which point you're stuck with it. Every campground I've stayed at the payment was collected up front, which allows the customer to decide in advance if the total cost is acceptable.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/19 12:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2012Coleman wrote:

My thoughts include - Hhhmmmm, how badly do I want to stay here? If I want to badly enough, I pay the fee, otherwise I look into a state park.

Posting a high nightly fee or highlighting it upon making a reservation...I can decide if it's worth it.

Waiting until I show up with reservations before disclosing it...now you may have me over a barrel with few or bad options (ie: I'm tired after a long drive and there isn't another place with openings nearby). This is where false advertising comes in. It's an intentional attempt to trick you into paying a higher price, knowing most people will have few options once they arrive.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

monkey44

Cape Cod, MA and Central Fla

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/19 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Even a few state parks do it now. It takes a legislative act to increase fees, so some states have added a "dock fee" or a "day-use" fee to every campsite. SO advertised site say, $20 a night, becomes $26 a night. We would probably stay anyway, but would like a bit of honesty.

We all (campers, RV'ers) understand costs go up sometimes - and the state parks are often jewels and less priority than other budget items - but honesty about the fees should trump an arrival add-on. Just seems sneaky to me, same with the hotels and cell phone service companies. Deception seems to be the rule of the day in a lot of business dealings and advertising.

Price plus tax, should never be price plus tax plus fees. And just because it calls itself a resort does not mean it is one.

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Opinion on Resort Fees ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS