RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Opinion on Resort Fees ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Opinion on Resort Fees ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/19 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No different than Sirius radio advertising a cheap rate then adding mandatory fees. One reason I’ll not do business with them.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

CFerguson

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/11/19 05:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't mind what they call it, I only care about the 'OTD' price. But if someone is trying to screw me over any amount, they have lost my business forever.

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/11/19 08:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The KOA on Pine Island, FL tacks on a Resort Fee at check in. This is beyond the cost of the site when making the reservation online. We paid it for a couple of years because we were 1200 miles from home and they were the only CG on the island BUT we won't be going back.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 03:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's less of an issue with campgrounds (but growing as the digital world creeps in) but one of the big draws for hotels, is online sites get a commission based on the listed price from the website. If they cut the price by 20%, they cut the website commission by 20%.

But yeah, it's basically false advertising 95% of the time. Enforcing it is harder to do as they bury it in the fine print.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2008 Copper Canyon 5er
Catalac Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and 5er

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 05:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My thoughts include - Hhhmmmm, how badly do I want to stay here? If I want to badly enough, I pay the fee, otherwise I look into a state park.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

sgfrye

north carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/19 06:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2012Coleman wrote:

My thoughts include - Hhhmmmm, how badly do I want to stay here? If I want to badly enough, I pay the fee, otherwise I look into a state park.

yep
their rules, rates and policies. if you aren't happy with it, choose another location.

we travel with 4 small dogs. some private campgrounds have a 2 pet max policy. i don't complain about it, i just find somewhere else to stay that doesn't have that policy.

Cobra21

minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 06:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's kinda like getting an oil change...add on for shop towels, filter disposal and so on. So many buisnesses have these ridiculous add on "fees" you really have to watch!

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/19 07:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I usually research the campgrounds pretty well before I make reservations, but occasionally you can get surprised. The "resort fees" that I've encountered are usually per person and usually cover something extra... "free" breakfast, small waterpark or other activities.

If we are getting some value out of it, I usually don't mind it, especially now that I have kids who are old enough to enjoy those activities. However, if its just an overnight stop on the way to a destination, I'm usually looking for a clean, no frills park that is convenient to my route. I'll pay a couple dollars more for a cleaner/safer park, but not exorbitantly so.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/19 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

The advertised a rate then added "resort fees" on checkout - I believe they have been ordered to reimburse their customers for the "resort fee".

The problem sounds like they added it at check out so it was a hidden fee. The fees must be explained upon check-in.

I don't like them just like I don't like fuel surcharges or mandatory options. Just a way to lower the price or weight for advertising purposes. I avoid those places because if they aren't being upfront with the price, I wounder how else the are cheating their customers.

2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 66,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Allworth

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/19 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not only avoid them to the point of walking out during registering, but post on RV Park Reviews to warn others.

Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
2008 Titanium 30E35SA; EZ-Lube axles; wet bolts; spring hanger gussetts; BFG Commercial TAs
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Opinion on Resort Fees ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS