RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RVing in Canada and Alaska: Please read the signs....

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Please read the signs....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Son of Norway

Denver, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/19 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am one of those RV drivers that you all are cursing out and I'm going to tell you my side of the story. I drive many two lane roads in the mountains that do have pull-outs for slower vehicles. Very few of them are paved. When I start to see a line of cars behind me I start to look for a way to let them by. At the moment that I see a pull-out I have only a few seconds to be sure that it is wide enough, long enough, level enough and the surface is stable enough to make it safe for my RV and my family to drive onto it and drive out of it. If I am not sure of our safety I will pass it by, and you in the line behind me will throw a fit. But the safety of my family and the people in the cars behind me comes first.

JMHO.

* This post was edited 07/12/19 08:21am by Son of Norway *

Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't like being the leader of a convoy either & will do my best to help cars get around me by slowing down further on a safe stretch to pass to allow more to go around.

What really annoys me are those who hesitate when an opportunity to pass comes up or pass very slowly denying others behind from getting by.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

missnmountains

Southwest Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were coming back from Denali last year back to Wasilla following two rentals. Both drivers were not from Canada or the US, but had rented from Canadream. They stuck to the speed limit EXACTLY. The problem was they were driving exactly KPH instead of MPH.

I thought I was going to go nuts. It took almost the entire trip down to get around them.

Ken

2016 Newmar Dutch Star 4369

Our Blog: Lawrence Adventures

Hondavalk

Toledo

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/19 10:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm one of those get over in the right lane unless your passing someone. That said I went down to West Virginia this spring to pick up a yearling Icelandic horse. With horse on board and traveling on a 2 lane windy mountain road I'm doing 40 in a 50 mph zone. After having 1 car stuck behind me for maybe 5 minutes I finally came to a small uneven pull off but feeling sorry for the car I pulled in. At first I thought the passenger was giving me a thank-you wave and then saw it was a 1 finger salute. Still kinda ticks me off.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH (finally!)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/19 07:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm one of those get over in the right lane unless your passing someone. That said I went down to West Virginia this spring to pick up a yearling Icelandic horse. With horse on board and traveling on a 2 lane windy mountain road I'm doing 40 in a 50 mph zone. After having 1 car stuck behind me for maybe 5 minutes I finally came to a small uneven pull off but feeling sorry for the car I pulled in. At first I thought the passenger was giving me a thank-you wave and then saw it was a 1 finger salute. Still kinda ticks me off.

We always did our best to be as polite as possible but when we had the Endura towing a vehicle sometimes it was just impossible. We, too, were subjected to some very expressive (and not very polite!) sign language. We would just laugh it off and think the guy should lay off the caffeine.

Side note on the Icelandic horse: I don't want to cause thread drift but an Icelandic horse is the most amazingly comfortable to ride. While I am not grossly overweight (a bit fluffy, yes) my legs are short in comparison to my height/weight. That makes riding uncomfortable a lot of the time. Because the Icelandic horses are not huge and exceptionally strong they offer one of the best riding experiences imaginable.

Subscribe to the 3 "L" rule-don't stop livin', lovin' and learnin'

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

cross21114

Baltimore, MD, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/19 03:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This only applies to 4 lane or more highways. I carry a sign in my car which says

"Drive on the Right - except to Pass
It's the Law"

I slap it up when I drift by on the right of someone cruising in the left lane. My wife hates when I do it.

On another note, when we're in the RV I will always try to move over or let drivers by but I could not agree with Son of Norway more that I will not jeperdize my family or my rig. See you in Alaska in September.

Chris
2018 Nexus Ghost 36DS
360 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2016 Ford Expedition

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/19 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quite some years ago I had a custom bumper sticker made just for the tailgaters itching to pass. It reads "NO, I AM NOT IN A HURRY".

In reality I am not the fastest dog on the race track however I am not the slowest either.

sue.t

Ibex Valley, YUKON

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/19 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

and on occasion on the Alaska Highway in Yukon, RVers travel down the centre line, or swerve to or over the centre line when there is a frost heave marked by flags. But PLEASE, check to ensure a vehicle isn't passing you if you do the lane change. Many times I have had to swerve onto the shoulder to not be hit by an RV when I'm passing it.

sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/19 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cross21114 wrote:

This only applies to 4 lane or more highways. I carry a sign in my car which says

"Drive on the Right - except to Pass
It's the Law"

No, it is not.
In most of the states driving slow on left lanes gets full officials support.
Only few states are making it local laws, or often non-enforced suggestion. I did not vote for it!

[image]

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/19 05:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

naturist wrote:

Both should be observed everywhere, but aren't. I remember my dad teaching me to drive back in 1964 and telling me to pull over and let folks behind you past, AND the left lane is for passing, cruise in the right lane. But clearly not everyone's dad told them these things.

Here on the Left Coast, only the left lane thing is in the law. Still, lots of folks ignore it and cruise slowly in the left lane, especially when contemplating a left turn (never mind, 50 miles up the road). There are times I wish I was a State Trooper and could pull 'em over and educate them a little.
It's the law in Kansas as well and they will ticket left lane loiterers, exception being in a city. I was very happy when this law was passed. I still get peeved when you come across two semis with governors driving side by side for miles on end 10 mph under the speed limit.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Please read the signs....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS