|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Gas TV for a year long trip

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 01:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

tbecker82 wrote:

My main concerns are range with the gas engine, the length of time we will be on the road, and towing in the mountains.
None of these should be a particular concern. Either truck will work fine.
I would agree. If going gas I would wait for the new 7.3 L gas motor.

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/19 01:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"and towing in the mountains."

Fear not the mountains. Not that big a deal. Study how to go up and down. You'll be fine.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 02:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I live out west and have a similar weight fifth wheel and I wouldn't be very happy with a gas truck - going uphill or down. That said, a gas truck will certainly pull that weight without causing any damage barring road rage from somebody who gets stuck behind you on a long two lane ascent with no passing lanes.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 02:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't delete a truck until it's out of warranty. Ford's official policy is that dealers are not supposed to perform any warranty work on a non-compliant truck, until said truck is restored to a compliant state. The emissions package on these trucks isn't the problem anyways. It's the CP4 fuel pump. And even that's extremely rare, just $$$ if it does go out.

Bryan

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/19 03:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tbecker82 wrote:

azdryheat wrote:

I've got a 91 gallon tank for diesel in the bed of my truck. Add that to the 36 gallons the truck came with and I can tow my 19,000 pound trailer over 800 miles before needing to refuel. The real benefit is I choose when to refuel and that is always without the trailer in tow.

Back in 2009 I was towing a 24ft boat with a Ford gas truck with the 7.5 liter gas engine. It really sucked towing the 6% grades going to the lake. Borrowed a friends Duramax and was able to tow at the speed limit with the cruise on. That was unheard of with my truck. I bought my own Duramax and haven't looked back.

I am not as familiar with Duramax's as I am with Superduty's. I need to do some more research. I know 2007.5 is considered a sweet spot for them, or an easy delete if you go up to 2010.

The 6.4 was hardly a sweet spot for the “Ford” Powerstroke! [emoticon]
Get a low mileage 6.7 and don’t delete it, just go!

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

tbecker82

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 03:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

The 6.4 was hardly a sweet spot for the “Ford” Powerstroke! [emoticon]
Get a low mileage 6.7 and don’t delete it, just go!

I was referring to the Duramax

jaycocamprs

Ringgold Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 07.5 LMM Duramax isn't the best either, 1st generation of the DPF trucks The LBZ was the last of the pre DPF trucks. Great engine, that's now in a 12+ year old truck.

2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

Skidus1

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 07:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had my 07.5 deleted at 5k miles and only put the factory pipes back on for emissions at 35k. As long as the tuning is stable like EFI live you would have no issues. I had a Edge Race tuner which was no longer supported so I went back to factory setup in preparation for a new truck in the next decade. New truck I’ll not touch as I’m older and want this truck under any kind of warranty as long as i can. That said I’ve had 1 problem with deleting besides a glow plug and a tranny line. When I would heat soak the engine in the summer idleing I think the lack of a lift pump would collapse my fuel lines when towing. I had a couple loss of power episodes when on the 50 horse tune with turbo brake. Once I went back to the factory tune no issues in 3 years. I am sure a lift pump would have cured it.

36guy

Princeton

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 08:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're gonna sit in it for a year, get a diesel, you may as well enjoy the drive, a gasser is work compared to the diesel.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 09:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The new 7.3L gas with the 10 speed automatic should be a fantastic tow combination. Of course, a lot of folks won't touch an all new powertrain for the first year.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Gas TV for a year long trip
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS