|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Gas TV for a year long trip

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 09:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In your scenario the only advantage the gas truck will have is price. ALL other factors favor diesel. With that in mind you may save a few $$ with the gasser. Some of the savings will be spent on fuel.
The rest of your savings will go towards putting up with the deficiencies of towing with a gas engines. You can pay in cash for the diesel or you can pay in patience with the gasser.
Don't get me wrong there is a place in the towing world for a gasser, however it is not on a year long cross country trip. There just isn't enough savings to make the gasser worthwhile.

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/19 09:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

36guy wrote:

If you're gonna sit in it for a year, get a diesel, you may as well enjoy the drive, a gasser is work compared to the diesel.

Well I would agree with this so much, towing 10.5K with any newer diesel is like it isn’t back there! Not so much for a gasser.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/19 09:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WHERE did he say he was looking at NEW twucks of ANY sort! Only USED was mentioned. So the 7.3 with a 10 sp auto, is not an options from what I see!

That said, 6-12% grades......those are a piece of cake, try some of the 15-25% grades in off highway situations! Interstates a easy! its in the camp grounds, local roads, roads down and back up river canyons etc that you can not make it up due to too low of gearing etc. Be it a gas or diesel!

With that said, get the best truck you can find, and head out! It will generally speaking take at todays prices of the difference, fuel cost etc, over 120K miles to pay for said diesel. How fast will you get to that said break even point?

Yes, ANY motor with a turbo/supercharger on it, will be better at elevations above 5000', otherwise, yes, you will lose 2-3% of the sea level advertised HP per 1000' of elevations. so at 10K', you are down 30%! How long, will you be up that high to really care per say?!?!?!

Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

tbecker82

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/19 10:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I really appreciate all the advice guys. It's good to hear from people who have more experience on these things than I do.

And I am looking at used trucks, my budget is 45k but I would like to come in under that. Ive seen 6.2s with around 50k miles going for 32k-36k. More if it's a 2015+. The diesels are starting at 40k and going higher. On the diesel I was looking at trucks with under 100k miles.

As far as elevation I'm sure we'll spend time in Colorado for a few weeks, but I doubt it will be for months. I like the price of the gasser, but like the capabilities and range of the diesel. I know, you got to pay to play.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/19 10:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You're comparing purchase price vs mileage and capability.
And you already know the answer and the answer is a compromise either way.
Personally, I'd go diesel for that duty, but I can afford it. Had some neighbors in AK who settled in next door after doing the same gig, year on the road with a camper. Except their combo was a F150 Eco boost and a large TT. They did just fine and so will the gasser.
If you want the 6.2, it's bulletproof. I'd make sure you end up with the 6r140 vs the 100? Trans. At some point, Ford started putting a lighter trans behind the gassers, I think just in the F250 models.
Simple, powerful enough, but not great compared to the diesel, 6.2 is the safe, easy, relaible, simple choice.
On the flip side, you'll be sucking down petrol to the tune of about 7mpg pulling the 5ver all over. Had 2 of them company trucks and they'd pass most things except a gas station. I'd consider a gas slip tank for long journeys if I owned one for personal use.

Diesel, yes there's the possibility of emissions issues. But not a great risk, especially towing. That's what keeps them healthy. Only thing I'd doo is put a CP4 bypass kit and think hard about a '15 or newer model vs the older 6.7s for a host of other non critical, but advantageous reasons.
And your 7 mpg will turn into 10+ with the diesel. Empty, the mileage will go from 13-14 on the gasser to 17-18 on the diesel.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/19 10:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And yeah for piece of mind, if not under warranty, I'd think hard about deleting. Would be tough to part with the money unles there was an issue though.

FireGuard

Frazier Park

View Profile

Posted: 07/13/19 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tbecker82 wrote:

I really appreciate all the advice guys. It's good to hear from people who have more experience on these things than I do.

And I am looking at used trucks, my budget is 45k but I would like to come in under that. Ive seen 6.2s with around 50k miles going for 32k-36k. More if it's a 2015+. The diesels are starting at 40k and going higher. On the diesel I was looking at trucks with under 100k miles.

As far as elevation I'm sure we'll spend time in Colorado for a few weeks, but I doubt it will be for months. I like the price of the gasser, but like the capabilities and range of the diesel. I know, you got to pay to play.

For $45k you can buy a new Ram Tradesman CTD.

13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

patperry2766

Saginaw Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/19 09:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having gone from a gas F-150 to a Ram 2500 diesel, there is a significant difference, but based on the maintence schedule of the diesel, I'd almost personally be reluctant to buy a used unless I could get a complete service history.

My '18 Ram was the last year before they switched over to the CP4.2 in the 2019's, and I know Ford has been running the CP4's for years with some issues in fuel failures by what some people have posted on THIS forum with repairs costing in excess of $10K.

With my truck, it calls for replacing but fuel filters at 10K miles and about $100 a pop on Amazon for OEM replacements. While there are people such as myself who see the benefit of as least maintaining the fuel system integrity, there are probably thousands who don't, and that's where I think you risk a ticking time bomb buying a used.

I can turn a wrench on most things to save the dealer costs, but if someone can't do the work and they decline to have the dealer do the work just because it costs significantly more, then this is where the time bomb lies.

Having a diesel is kinda like having a puppy. You have to get yourself in a routine and retrain yourself like you have to train a dog. If you do it right then you should get several 100K miles out of it. Owning a gas truck is like having the old dog that sits on the porch that generally doesn't require a lot of tending to.

Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/19 10:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FireGuard wrote:

tbecker82 wrote:

For $45k you can buy a new Ram Tradesman CTD.

Not sure I would want to drive all around the US in a Tradesman, I like power seats and more information display, and comfortable seats.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/19 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^What does seeing the maint performed make a difference between gas and diesel?
Aside from fuel filters, it's the same and an engine with no oil changes is going to eventually result in the same demise.
Fuel filters don't count. If they plug up, it doesn't run, doesn't necessarily cause damage.
Maint is maint regardless of a person's understanding of the vehicle.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Gas TV for a year long trip
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS