|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Gas TV for a year long trip

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/19 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

FireGuard wrote:

tbecker82 wrote:

I really appreciate all the advice guys. It's good to hear from people who have more experience on these things than I do.

And I am looking at used trucks, my budget is 45k but I would like to come in under that. Ive seen 6.2s with around 50k miles going for 32k-36k. More if it's a 2015+. The diesels are starting at 40k and going higher. On the diesel I was looking at trucks with under 100k miles.

As far as elevation I'm sure we'll spend time in Colorado for a few weeks, but I doubt it will be for months. I like the price of the gasser, but like the capabilities and range of the diesel. I know, you got to pay to play.

For $45k you can buy a new Ram Tradesman CTD.

Not sure I would want to drive all around the US in a Tradesman, I like power seats and more information display, and comfortable seats.

Lol, you went from a soon to be classic truck to a new one a couple months ago and now a new "Tradesman" wouldn't be up to your discerning standards?
Some folks just make a guy laugh.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

Dave H M

IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/19 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tb82, I did not read through all the posts, but can give you some food for thought on the aux gas tank in the bed. Sure you cannot doa a gravity feed. however on mine i installed a typical 12 in line fuel pump between the aux and the main filler neck. Draw the gas from the tube in the top of the tank that has the pick up from the bottom. Put a veton 12 vol normally closed valve between the outlet of the fuel pump and the inlet to the filler neck. Power those two puppies up to a switch like the upfitter in the Ford. So you can flip the switch and replenish the fuel in the main when you want to. Since the fuel valve closes the Ford fuel system is shut when not refueling, I did an open vent on the aux and down through the bed with and in line filter since i am paranoid about having an open vent to the tank..

IdaD

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/19 02:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

rhagfo wrote:

FireGuard wrote:

tbecker82 wrote:

I really appreciate all the advice guys. It's good to hear from people who have more experience on these things than I do.

And I am looking at used trucks, my budget is 45k but I would like to come in under that. Ive seen 6.2s with around 50k miles going for 32k-36k. More if it's a 2015+. The diesels are starting at 40k and going higher. On the diesel I was looking at trucks with under 100k miles.

As far as elevation I'm sure we'll spend time in Colorado for a few weeks, but I doubt it will be for months. I like the price of the gasser, but like the capabilities and range of the diesel. I know, you got to pay to play.

Not sure I would want to drive all around the US in a Tradesman, I like power seats and more information display, and comfortable seats.

Lol, you went from a soon to be classic truck to a new one a couple months ago and now a new "Tradesman" wouldn't be up to your discerning standards?

Lifestyle creep I guess. You couldn't carry on a conversation in his old truck going down the highway. Now a new Tradesman doesn't enough features or good enough seats. That payload sticker didn't used to mean much either, but it sure does now. People are definitely funny creatures.

2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/19 07:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

Lifestyle creep I guess. You couldn't carry on a conversation in his old truck going down the highway. Now a new Tradesman doesn't enough features or good enough seats. That payload sticker didn't used to mean much either, but it sure does now. People are definitely funny creatures.

When I test drone a Tradesman a few years back the seat was like sitting on a apple crate, even compared to the 2001.5 SLT we had at the time. Reminded me of the 1980's Suzuki Vitara we test drove.

2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Commuter trailer 2019 Laredo 225MK. Retired and enjoying it!

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/19 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

I live out west and have a similar weight fifth wheel and I wouldn't be very happy with a gas truck - going uphill or down. That said, a gas truck will certainly pull that weight without causing any damage barring road rage from somebody who gets stuck behind you on a long two lane ascent with no passing lanes.

450 HP vs 385 HP pulling 10,500 GVWR trailer is not going to put you in road rage situation. FUD meter is pegged.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/19 07:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

rhagfo wrote:

FireGuard wrote:

tbecker82 wrote:

Not really Lifestyle Creep, the 2001 Ram was also a Laramie, about only options not on it were leather and alarm. Power seats, power windows, power steering, remote power door locks, power heated mirrors Camper and Tow package. I just got the same trim level with more trim! So now DW also has a power seat, and seat memory, nice stereo system just like the 2001.
I never liked towing over GVWR, while the 2001 did very well and was within axle and tire ratings.
We full time so the Ram in our only vehicle, so we enjoy the creature comforts.
I also test drove a 2018 Tradesman 3500 SRW, it wasn’t a $45K version had some features like the HO and Aisin, but no Power Seat which was a deal killer for me, lowest trim to get power seats (drivers only) was SLT and that is an option.

* This post was edited 07/14/19 08:04pm by rhagfo *

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

tbecker82

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 10:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dave H M wrote:

tb82, I did not read through all the posts, but can give you some food for thought on the aux gas tank in the bed. Sure you cannot doa a gravity feed. however on mine i installed a typical 12 in line fuel pump between the aux and the main filler neck. Draw the gas from the tube in the top of the tank that has the pick up from the bottom. Put a veton 12 vol normally closed valve between the outlet of the fuel pump and the inlet to the filler neck. Power those two puppies up to a switch like the upfitter in the Ford. So you can flip the switch and replenish the fuel in the main when you want to. Since the fuel valve closes the Ford fuel system is shut when not refueling, I did an open vent on the aux and down through the bed with and in line filter since i am paranoid about having an open vent to the tank..

Thank you very much Dave, that is some great information.
If you have some pump recommendations or even what aux tank you went with I would appreciate it.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven’t read all the reply’s but I would go with a gas HD truck. Unless you are buying a pre DEF truck I wouldn’t want the hassle of being stuck in the side of the road for hours waiting to be towed somewhere. Because of current emissions the new diesels are not as reliable as they used to be. Give me a gasser over a diesel. I’ll take the hit on fuel mileage knowing I’ll make it to my destination.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RDS and JME are 2 mfgs I know that make DOT certified tanks that are specifically called out for hauling gasoline.
Use an explosion proof pump.

trail-explorer

NM

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you get a gas truck, skip the in bed tank.... go with a larger capacity tank that replaces the factory tank. I think Transfer Flow makes them, so does Titan Tank.

If I were doing a trip for that length of time and distance, I'd go diesel.

Bob

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Gas TV for a year long trip
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS