|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> No Spare tire correct

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/19 06:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking at the Mercedes Sprinter based MH's and have yet to find one with a spare tire . Is there a model with a spare included. I looked up the receiver hitch carrier and not a fan.
What are you folks doing ? I know about roadside assistance plans but have had a blowout on my 5er where there was no cell service so I have a concern.

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/19 06:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many motor homes as of late do not include a spare tire, especially the Sprinter. Some RV manufactures offer one as an option, others don't even offer a place to mount one. The reason concerns the extra weight of the tire, most prominent on rigs that are already close to GVWR. Mounting a spare tire on or near the rear bumper amplifies the weight problem, over-loading the rear axle and the 4 rear tires.

To people without a spare tire, I advise to carry a tire repair kit with compressor, the kind where you use the sticky rope to plug the hole. Clean punctures like from a nail can be repaired with the tire on the vehicle. Walmart sells compact tire repair kits. The tire-on-vehicle repair is not advised to be a permanent repair, but for a clean puncture, it should be enough to get you rolling to the next tire shop for a proper repair.

Others will chime in to say that the spare is deleted to increase profits which is also true, but the primary reason involves "weight" placed in a bad place.

If you tow another vehicle, then carrying a spare is less of a crises when it happens by taking the flat tire in the other vehicle to get it repaired. Another thing a few people do is carry the RV spare in the tow vehicle.

Both our motor home and tow vehicle have a spare tire. I like the peace of mind to have them and also the appropriate jacks and tire irons.

* This post was edited 07/14/19 05:11pm by ron.dittmer *

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/19 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My '07 Forester came with a spare, have been lucky enough to never have needed it.

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/19 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

my 2007 liesure travel van sprinter has one up under the rear. hope I never need it.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/19 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Make your own using a 2" ID tube that fits over the 2" hitch receiver. I see no reason for one that folds down as your planned usage of the spare should be none. At least you'll have the spare with you.

It took me a while to adjust my head to no spare. But no spare and no equipment to change it. My concern isn't changing the tire but the damage and potential accident if a tire blows while traveling. My Toyo tires are 5 years old and next month I'll be talking to 2 shops about them before deciding on another year.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/19 08:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Many cars today have run flat tires and no spare. This is common with sports cars. Just buy a spare tire and wheel and a jack. No big deal.

* This post was edited 07/14/19 03:13pm by ppine *

sayoung

Tx

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/19 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have allways had a puncture kit on board but my concern is a complete failure. Been there done that twice since our 1st camper back in 79. I just can't wrap my head around no spare so may be rethinking this idea of the Boss wanting to go back to a MH. Her thing is she won't drive the dually/5er and wants to give me some relief on the driving . She can drive it but won't plus to be legal here in Tx our gvwr requires an A class DL which she won't do. Oh the things we do to keep 'em happy.

netjam

Canadian on the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/19 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Think its the way things are going. My 17 super C came without...not offered as an option..... my 2015 dodge toad also bought new without a spare.

BillHoughton

West of the Mississippi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/14/19 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our 2007 Itasca has one, but I've noticed the trend to no spare in cars, too. Our 2008 Volvo has a spare (one of those little temporary things), but, when we bought it used, another Volvo on the lot, one year newer, hadn't offered one stock. The previous owner had chosen the optional spare - but it took up most of the trunk!

Early this year, I bought a 2016 Volvo, and it came with a bottle of goop to spray into the tire (for fixing a leak) and a little battery-powered air compressor to pump it up - all looking very lonely in a space under the back clearly large enough to hold a temporary spare.

But, in the several years between buying the 2008 and the 2016, I got to thinking about the last time I had to deal with a flat tire, compared to the frequency with which I had to do so in my youth. It's been quite a while.

suprz

rhode island

View Profile

Posted: 07/14/19 10:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2006 Greyhawk 31SS came with a spare mounted to the rear bumper (which is WAY overbuilt and I'm grateful!) thanks Jayco [emoticon]

Proud father of a US Marine

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> No Spare tire correct
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS