|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> RV Tank Maintenance

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/19 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MetalGator wrote:

DFord wrote:

By adhering to recommended practices with every RV I've owned over the past 45 years, I've never had any issues with my sensors not reading properly.

So what are the recommended practices?

Read my previous posts in this post. Keep you dump valve closed till your tanks are at least 3/4 full. Never leave the dump valves open while your camping - sure recipe for problems. When you do dump, use the flush to refill the tank for a couple of minutes and repeat till the water runs clear. Twice a year use the wand to blast the sides of the tank. Use Happy Camper tank treatment in both the grey and black tank. I installed a flush kit on my grey water tank and it helps.

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/19 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DFord wrote:

MetalGator wrote:

DFord wrote:

By adhering to recommended practices with every RV I've owned over the past 45 years, I've never had any issues with my sensors not reading properly.

So what are the recommended practices?

Read my previous posts in this post. Keep you dump valve closed till your tanks are at least 3/4 full. Never leave the dump valves open while your camping - sure recipe for problems. When you do dump, use the flush to refill the tank for a couple of minutes and repeat till the water runs clear. Twice a year use the wand to blast the sides of the tank. Use Happy Camper tank treatment in both the grey and black tank. I installed a flush kit on my grey water tank and it helps.

This is all excellent advice. However, Happy Camper is not necessary if you follow the rest of the steps. Happy Camper is the best odor killer I have ever used but it's not "necessary" to properly maintain your tanks.

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/19 09:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you're dumping and it stinks, you need Happy Campers. If you want to use regular TP, you need Happy Camper. If you want your tank level sensors to work reliably, Happy Camper will help with that too.
For all those reason, I'm a happy camper using Happy Camper tank treatment.

Your mileage may differ.

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/19 05:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have used regular TP for nearly 20 years and HC is not necessary. With sealed connections at the RV and the dump there is NO smell. I rarely sniff my hose! I have not found that HC does anything to help with sensors. Clearly my mileage differs.

HighwayJunky

Kissimmee

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/19 06:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm going to try the Calgon and Dishwasher soap to see if it cleans the sensors. If not, we'll try the Happy Camper method..Thanks for all your responses!!

2017 Newmar Ventana LE Diesel Pusher
2012 Fiat Pop Toad
One wife
No pets
No complaints
No Worries (except keeping wife happy!!)
Fulltime jobhttps://www.rv.net/SharedContent/cfb/images/rolleyes.gif

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/20/19 06:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want REALLY clean holding tanks give these folks a call.
http://allprowaterflow.com/
They can also often be found at some of the major RV rallies. We had the service done and what came out was really quite amazing. Much of it was actually hard water buildup that no chemicals would have had an effect upon. It was well worth the money paid. That was a number of years ago but I will have it done again should we be in a convenient area with a nearby dealer.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> RV Tank Maintenance
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.