RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Update to my Towing analysis paralysis resolved, I think!.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Update to my Towing analysis paralysis resolved, I think!.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
gitane59

Ontario, Can

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/19 03:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been stuck in a state of analysis paralysis over how to alleviate the jarring and chucking with my truck and trailer over the increasingly poor road quality. The last trip through Michigan almost made me loose my mind with the violent hammering the truck, trailer and passenger's took.
I have finally decided on a Trailer Saver BD3 and a Mor-Ryde pinbox. The cost of this route is twice as much as simply installing an air ride pin box such as a 5th Airborne and upgrading my existing Demco Hijacker hitch head but I really want the trailer saver air hitch isolation between the truck and trailer.
I initially was stuck on getting a TS3 but that would have necessitated moving my generator from the bed of the truck to accommodated the larger footprint of the TS3 which I was really struggling with. I have decided there is very little chance of moving to a large trailer (unless I win the lottery) so the 18Klb capacity of the BD3 is enough.
Any comment's or thought's would be appreciated as to the pros and cons of my decision.

* This post was edited 07/27/19 08:21pm by gitane59 *

2014 Landmark Savannah, Mor-Ryde IS with Dexter disc brakes, 17.5 wheels with Sumitomo skins,
2010 Ford F350 Lariat CC LB DRW 6.4L Diesel, Firestone Ride Rite Airbags

Durb

NW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/19 04:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is too bad you couldn't make the TS3 fit. The BD3 will dissipate the bouncing forces and the MORyde will help with the chucking forces. The TS3 would have been a better solution for your ride. As a fifth wheel's pin pushes down, it also pushes forward; this is why you have both bouncing and chucking forces. When the trailer pushes a TS3 down, the hitch head also retracts due to the high hinge design, eliminating both forces. My trailer was a bouncing, chucking mess with a B&W solid hitch, intolerable. Towed it home from a trip today with the TS3, a pleasure.

Lwiddis

Hearst San Simeon State Park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/19 06:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“I have been stuck in a state of analysis paralysis over how to alleviate the jarring and chucking...”

You are overstating the issues IMO. Unstick! Enjoy. Move on.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2019 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Air bags on truck set to 30psi loaded, Bilstien shocks and PROPER tire pressure will do wonders. The RV has far less impact on the truck than the road does. Cure that problem FIRST before wasting your $$$.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

pcm1959

home

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 10:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are doing the right thing.
The MorRyde will help with fore/aft movement.
I have a BD3 hitch and it really, really cushions the forces between an otherwise rigid truck/trailer connection.
The money your are spending is probably less than the possible repairs needed in the future to repair the pin box area due to the harsh impact if you continue to use your current set-up.
I'm amazed how many people don't even consider an air hitch for their truck when people on the forums ask for hitch recommendations. The difference is amazing in the noise and banging of the impact when on these harsh roads. Its great to look in the review mirror and see the pin box floating on the air hitch and not to have all the impact you are speaking of.
I have the BD3 with a GM/Ford puck adapter. When I bought the BD3 the 5 was not on the market yet and there was no puck adapter. Then they came out with one. I'd love to sell the combo and get the BD5 that requires no adapter. I'm right at the max on the BD3 so the 5 would be a nice upgrade.
Let us know the difference you experience when you get the upgrades installed and tested. You will love it! Safe travels.

2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

JTrac

Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/19 03:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm on my 5th season with our BD3 and have been thoroughly pleased with it. I also had some chucking issues but changed trucks and bought the BD3 at the same time. I'll never know if it was more the truck or the hitch but still glad I have the hitch.

JimT
2013 Excel Winslow 34RKM, 2017 Ford F350 King Ranch, 6.7 PS, 4X4 dually

gitane59

Ontario, Can

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/19 06:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Air bags on truck set to 30psi loaded,Check Bilstien shocks Checkand PROPER tire pressure will do wonders.Check The RV has far less impact on the truck than the road does. Cure that problem FIRST before wasting your $$$.

I'm not sure how these 3 item's alone would cause the severe jerking fore and aft on poor concrete roads with bad expansion joints. Also when hitting sections of concrete that has dropped an inch or 2 the transfer of vertical energy between the truck and trailer is so severe it rattles the teeth and with the quality of the Lippert frames and the condition of roads not getting any better I am definitely becoming afraid to tow for fear of major frame failure.

* This post was edited 07/16/19 06:18pm by gitane59 *

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 06:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They are not causing it, nothing will cure worn out highways, but these are good items to look at doing.
The old concrete highways are the worst, due to the expansion joints that have separated, or sunk, causing your truck, and FW to move at different rates of speed when going over them.

pcm1959

home

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I noticed in your signature that you have MorRyde IS so no one can suggest that it should help the ride. I don't have IS and feel the ride is fine with my 15400 pounder with 8k axles, 17.5 wheels with MorRyde center point equalizer. So since you DO have IS, the hitch and pin box upgrade is about all you can do.

* This post was edited 07/16/19 07:12pm by pcm1959 *

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 06:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JTrac wrote:

I'm on my 5th season with our BD3 and have been thoroughly pleased with it. I also had some chucking issues but changed trucks and bought the BD3 at the same time. I'll never know if it was more the truck or the hitch but still glad I have the hitch.

Please tell what the last hitch was.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Update to my Towing analysis paralysis resolved, I think!.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS