RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Looking to upgrade suspension and add a steering stabilizer

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Projects & Upgrades

> Looking to upgrade suspension and add a steering stabilizer

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Gaillardia

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 04:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2006 Damon Daybreak Motorhome on a Ford chassis. I am considering upgrading the suspension system to help with sway and side to side roll. Also looking to perhaps add a steering stabilizer. Looking for personal recommendations and your before and after change in driving/steering experience. Thanks.

HackerAce

Tualatin, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/19 04:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Added airbags to my 1999 National Tropical 39' with tag axel. Made an incredible difference!

MountainAir05

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 05:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Add air bags 4 corners and world of difference. There is a company that does a full air bags system now for the Ford. Will look to see if I can find a link. Ran across one done last year on a Ford and owners said it was great. It look to be build very solid.

This one I have seen and looked at and seems to be solid make.

http://www.stengelbros.com/air-ride-suspensions/

* This post was edited 07/15/19 05:14pm by MountainAir05 *

Sastma

AZ

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What do you guys think about SumoSprings? No air bags and pretty simple to install.

FloridaRosebud

Melbourne

View Profile

Posted: 07/15/19 07:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2006 Seabreeze LX on a Ford F53, and have Firestone airbags. I have added a Hellwig rear anti-sway bar (big help) and a roadmaster return to center steering stabilizer and it drives a ton better. The Sumo springs are good - but - the airbags will help you level the MH, which is more important. I am happy with my mods, and can now drive the MH more easily. BTW - tire air pressure is also very important...

Al

DFord

Near St Louis, MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/19 09:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With the F-53 chassis there's a "cheap fix" for that top heavy feeling. All you need to do is move the bolts for the existing factory swaybar closer to the axle. The factory position has the bolts in the outer holes. Moving them closer to the axle does wonders to minimize the lean present in the stock arrangement. However, because it puts a bigger strain on the stock swaybar, the original bushings will fail shortly after the change. You'll need to replace the original bushing with polyurethane bushings so they'll last. These changes will the least expensive and most effective ones you'll ever make to your chassis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MozieIP58PY

There's a lot more on this available - just try a search for "F53 cheap fix" and you'll find them.

Don Ford
2004 Safari Trek 31SBD (F53/V10 20,500GVW)
'09 HHR 2LT or '97 Aerostar MiniVan (Remco driveshaft disconnect) for Towed vehicles
BlueOx Aventa II Towbar - ReadyBrake Inertia Brake System

10forty2

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/19 06:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First things first....if you're getting a lot of body roll, or "sway," you need to check the sway bar bushings, and probably replace them with the newer poly bushings. I had terrible sway on my 1999 F53 when I first got it, and found that the OEM bushings had completely deteriorated. Replaced them with poly bushings and that made all the difference in the world. Since then, I have replaced all 4 leaf springs, added new Bilstein shocks, and Firestone Ride Rite air bag helper springs on all 4 corners. She now handles like I've always thought she should. One last thing I'm going to do to her, suspension-wise, is to add a rear track bar. I've considered the steering stabilizer, but I don't have the wandering steering wheel that everyone else seems to complain about.

1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 06:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can not help with suspension as I drive a workhorse (Nice anti-sway bar)

Steering. I use a Blue Ox Tru-Center.. The reason I choose it was the button that lets me adjust the center point FROM the driver? seat. at the time there was only one that did that.

Today I understand Safe-T-Steer offers that as an option

Either one should work.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

viajante

Plumas Lake, CA, (near Yuba City) USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/16/19 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I added roadmaster sway bars front and rear, safe t plus steering stabilizer and kelderman air bags in front. Am very pleased with everything except the air bags. The air bags do help with harsh bumps, but do tend to bounce. I understand that the new liquid springs system is very good, but pretty pricey.

Dave & Brenda
Shadow (Sheltie), and Zoe (Shih Tzu)Faithful Companions
2008 Itasca Sunrise 35L

baldwinh

Mt Gilead, OH

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a link to a post I wrote on our upgrades. The steering stabilizer made the biggest improvement and I recommend it to anyone. It makes such a difference.
Here is the link to the post about suspension upgrades

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Projects & Upgrades

> Looking to upgrade suspension and add a steering stabilizer
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS