RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C rear end sag and banging!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Class C rear end sag and banging!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
pushtoy 2

texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/19 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgnprof wrote:

Thanks for all the quick replies!

I ran the air bags at about 80 lbs - this typically raises my coach only about 1 1'2" - maybe 2"...

My shocks are Bilsteins - I installed them around 2011, 2012 and about 30k miles ago.

I have called 3 different online places, the last being Deaver (thanks bear). They were very helpful and to confirm Drew, they said that it's hard to just look at the springs and see a problem and that most likely the problems with these springs are the bushings! They said from new they have little "curve" to them...

He actually suggested adding a leaf - they have a kit specific to my application. Replace the bushings if needed, but he said they frequently don't because they're ok. The factory tapered 3-leaf spring is rated at 3450 lbs, so it's likely the coach has always been 'under springed'...

I'm strongly considering this route.

I would like to find some replacement rear frame rubber bump stops - mine have clearly taken some punishment. But, I'm having trouble finding these - my Ford dealers around are pretty much a waste when it comes to parts for this old coach.
a company called sumo makes heavy duty bump stops

DREAMER ">

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/19 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem with buying/using/replacing your springs with "used springs" is that they fatigue over time. For the most part, IMO, you have no way of knowing the condition of used springs without trying them out on your rig. (unless you KNOW the condition for sure) Class C E350's are real tough on springs because they are almost always overloaded or close to it. Age is another factor. Adding "helper" springs to already worn springs may be of little long term help but that's your choice. There's nothing like the ride of a new vehicle which usually comes from replacing ALL the worn suspension/steering parts. IMO, making the suspension "too stiff" is something you'll probably regret later. You all ready know what it's like when it's too soft.

Chum lee

rgnprof

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 10/20/19 07:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Finally had a chance this fall break to try out the RV with the new add-a-leaf spring. I went with an add-a-leaf that I bought from ATS out of the Philadelphia area (they are great to work with and I can highly recommend them).

Anyway, added a new leaf to each side, about 1100 lbs additional support per side...installation was pretty straightforward and we drove the rig this weekend about 500 miles. Definitely made a difference - ride is better and sits a little higher in the rear, which was very noticeably with my Subaru connected and when I pulled out of backed in to my slightly inclined driveway.

I still get a "BANG" sometimes on pretty abrupt transitions in the highway, but seems better. Not sure how to address that problem.

Overall, I'm pretty satisfied.

ryan

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/19 12:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgnprof wrote:

added a new leaf to each side, about 1100 lbs additional support per side

ryan
1100 pounds per side is significant. Good for you!

I do wonder what the actual load is on your 4 rear tires. If you get the rig weighed and discover they are over-loaded, there are available E-rated tires designed to handle 600 extra pounds (per tire) over the typical E-rated RV tires most of us have.

Keep that in mind, just in case.

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 03:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

This morning I took my ride into a spring shop. They suggested the best route was to add a leaf or two on both sides. I had weight measurements for them--and they will "beef up" the driver's side to compensate.

They were not happy with the 11.5 foot overhang which is increased by my generator cage (offset to the passengers side to try to shift some weight). But there is no way practical way to fix this. Fortunately the wheel base to length ratio is about 53%, so driveablity is not too horrible.

They will be welding the broken air bag brackets on both sides.

Thanks to this thread for making me rethink just going to E-550 springs.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp hours of AGM in two battery banks 12 volt batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/19 10:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hi,

This morning I took my ride into a spring shop. They suggested the best route was to add a leaf or two on both sides. I had weight measurements for them--and they will "beef up" the driver's side to compensate.

They were not happy with the 11.5 foot overhang which is increased by my generator cage (offset to the passengers side to try to shift some weight). But there is no way practical way to fix this. Fortunately the wheel base to length ratio is about 53%, so driveablity is not too horrible.

They will be welding the broken air bag brackets on both sides.

Thanks to this thread for making me rethink just going to E-550 springs.

Don ... what happened to your built-in generator ... or is that what you meant by "generator cage"?

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/19 11:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Phil,

I've never owned an RV with a built in generator.

77rollalong

Brighton Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/19 06:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our 1977 26 foot e-class ford had firestone 5000lb air bags in the back to help.. due to there age I replaced them with a set of PacBrake and it makes a big difference in the ride and the ride level as well

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Class C rear end sag and banging!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.