RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C rear end sag and banging!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Class C rear end sag and banging!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
pushtoy 2

texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/19 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rgnprof wrote:

Thanks for all the quick replies!

I ran the air bags at about 80 lbs - this typically raises my coach only about 1 1'2" - maybe 2"...

My shocks are Bilsteins - I installed them around 2011, 2012 and about 30k miles ago.

I have called 3 different online places, the last being Deaver (thanks bear). They were very helpful and to confirm Drew, they said that it's hard to just look at the springs and see a problem and that most likely the problems with these springs are the bushings! They said from new they have little "curve" to them...

He actually suggested adding a leaf - they have a kit specific to my application. Replace the bushings if needed, but he said they frequently don't because they're ok. The factory tapered 3-leaf spring is rated at 3450 lbs, so it's likely the coach has always been 'under springed'...

I'm strongly considering this route.

I would like to find some replacement rear frame rubber bump stops - mine have clearly taken some punishment. But, I'm having trouble finding these - my Ford dealers around are pretty much a waste when it comes to parts for this old coach.
a company called sumo makes heavy duty bump stops

DREAMER ">

Chum lee

Albuquerque, NM

View Profile

Posted: 09/08/19 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem with buying/using/replacing your springs with "used springs" is that they fatigue over time. For the most part, IMO, you have no way of knowing the condition of used springs without trying them out on your rig. (unless you KNOW the condition for sure) Class C E350's are real tough on springs because they are almost always overloaded or close to it. Age is another factor. Adding "helper" springs to already worn springs may be of little long term help but that's your choice. There's nothing like the ride of a new vehicle which usually comes from replacing ALL the worn suspension/steering parts. IMO, making the suspension "too stiff" is something you'll probably regret later. You all ready know what it's like when it's too soft.

Chum lee

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Class C rear end sag and banging!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS