RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Things to do in Alaska?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Things to do in Alaska?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mike-uswest

Central Point, OR, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 06:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fish !!!!

2003 Dodge 2500 CTD, 4X4,
Arctic Fox 25Y

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thunder Bird falls north of anchorage if you are stuck in staying there.

Restaurants make sure to hit Humpys. Great Alaska Ale Company and 49th State Brewery are nice.

I like the Kenai.

Portage Glacier
Whittier and Seward are good. Really liked the Kenai Fjords boat trip.

I have a fried in Homer who takes me fishing. And a customer in Soldotna I’m going dip netting with next week.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 07:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No one goes to Alaska to tour Los Anchorage. Get out of town and start looking around.

Scottiemom

South Dakota/Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We enjoyed Homer and while there we took the excursion over to Seldovia. Neat little village. Not a lot of people. We stopped into a shop. The proprietor's husband was the police chief and she talked all about life on the peninsula. Only way in is by boat or plane. Really enjoyed our visit and not too big, so you can walk around the entire place.

Dale

Dale Pace
Wife to Terry (Teacher's Pet)
2006 Tiffin Phaeton 40'(Phaeton Place)
2014 Ford Flex
2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltiming since 2005

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 08:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mike-uswest wrote:

Fish !!!!

Unfortunately I don't do fishing. Used to spear-gun fish in my scuba years, but that is past. Back in Prince Rupert my friend was calling Salmon fishermen for 2 days and they come back with no fish. How about that?
I talk to campground clerk and she got really exited describing Homer drive. Even the small city might not qualify as designated destination, I figure out that after driving 3900 miles here, it would be shame to turn around 200 miles from the end of Alaskan Highway #1.
Beside, the diesel here at $2.69 is the cheapest I have seen in last 2 years, what adds motivation to drive.
Been to Earthquake Park in Anchorage today and it is nice park.
Will check other suggestions for next 2 days in Anchorage and then "Homer, here I come".
Russian is my 2nd language BTW and I get some kicks reading the village names here [emoticon]
Thanks for all the feedback.

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 09:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If heading to Homer:

- Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center at Portage...see moose, bears, etc. A Canned setting, but possibly interesting anyway
- The drive on the spur road to the Begich-Boggs visitor center at Portage Glacier is fairly scenic (and short) even if one doesn't stop at the center or take the boat trip to see the Glacier
- If time and convenience permits, swing in to Anchor Point / Deep Creek / Ninilchik to watch the tractor boat launching...Interesting
- If Homer is definitely on the agenda, a trip on the Danny J is a fun excursion.
- Also if Homer is definitely on the agenda, if one finds the right bar (I can't remember the name of it right now and it's been at least 2 years) you can see one of the younger Kilcher's (related to Jewel, part of the "Alaska the Last Frontier very quasi-reality show) playing on weekends
- Great martini's at the Lands End

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/16/19 09:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go to Homer and get to the end of the highway.
[image] [image]Click For Full-Size Image.]Land's End

* This post was edited 07/17/19 11:26am by MDKMDK *

Mike.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/19 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No one goes to Alaska to tour Los Anchorage. Get out of town and start looking around.

Wrong. BIG wrong. The farmer's markets in the city are excellent sources of local items and a great place to putter for a few hours. The Alaska Native Heritage Center is a wonderful place to learn about Alaskan culture. Earthquake Park gives a good narrative on what happened during the 1964 earthquake. Walk or bike the Tony Knowles Coastal Trail. Explore the Potter Marsh Bird Sanctuary. Anchorage is FULL of things to do. The state is not just about nature-it's about history and culture as well.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/19 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For history and culture I like Fairbanks.
The best way to learn about native culture is to go meet some natives.
History is everywhere. I found it on the Chilkoot Trail, around Denali and north of Fairbanks in the mining country. You can find it in the old road houses, and all over the bush.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/19 11:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fairbanks is too much out of the way.
Went to Native Heritage Center and Anchorage Museum.
The Center had some nice displays how the native used to live here, and sod houses build with no steel fasteners are impressive, but coming from construction, I had hard time to believe they cut presented 36" dia logs with tools made from bones. Expensive admission to see lot of stands with "Native souvenirs", often "Made in China". Sorry, but I am too realistic for this stuff.
Museum had a bonus of "FRANKLIN EXPEDITION" display. Lot of things to play with, especially if you have children with you (we did not).
So after spending about $200 on souvenirs, I am driving to Tram and Homer tomorrow.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Things to do in Alaska?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.