RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Things to do in Alaska?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Things to do in Alaska?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All of the places in Alaska worth visiting "are out of the way." That is the whole point of visiting Alaska in the first place. Most people get near Alaska and get nervous and go someplace where they feel safe. That is why cruise ships are so popular. I have worked up there and taken more than 10 trips.

All of my worthwhile experiences in Alaska have been in the bush. Meeting natives smoking fish over a fire. Meeting gold miners. Seeing wolves, wolverines, Dall sheep, moose, mountain goats, 100 bears up close, the Northern Lights, climbing the Golden Stairs, herding salmon with the prop wash on the helicopter. Most people only see Alaska from a distance.

There is a famous saying Up North:
"Los Anchorage is only about 40 minutes from Alaska."

* This post was edited 07/18/19 07:56am by ppine *

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 09:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Forgot to ask. How have the "bugs" been?
We saw all the jokes 3 years ago, about buying mosquito hunting licenses, and so on, but never saw any swarms of them at all. I think we were there late enough that the worst was over. It was late August, early September.
Just curious, as we're thinking of heading up late summer again.

Mike.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MDKMDK wrote:

We saw all the jokes 3 years ago, about buying mosquito hunting licenses, and so on, but never saw any swarms of them at all. I think we were there late enough that the worst was over. It was late August, early September.

FWIW, based on my experience, bugs are always an issue once one is off the beaten (or quasi-beaten path). That being said, this has been (at least in an around Los Anchorage, although I think most of the state) a pretty dry summer. Bugs therefore aren't too bad around roads, campgrounds, etc.....always an exception where there is standing water (mosquitoes) and "blooms" of gnats seem to appear at the strangest times.

...but overall this doesn't seem like a terribly buggy year.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 09:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PA12DRVR wrote:

MDKMDK wrote:

FWIW, based on my experience, bugs are always an issue once one is off the beaten (or quasi-beaten path). That being said, this has been (at least in an around Los Anchorage, although I think most of the state) a pretty dry summer. Bugs therefore aren't too bad around roads, campgrounds, etc.....always an exception where there is standing water (mosquitoes) and "blooms" of gnats seem to appear at the strangest times.

...but overall this doesn't seem like a terribly buggy year.

Thanks for the reply and perspective on the overall situation. All makes sense to me. Good news.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/19 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

.but overall this doesn't seem like a terribly buggy year.

That's awesome news for me! Hopefully that holds true on Kodiak as well. We fly out in just over two weeks. 5 1/2 days on Kodiak then about 6 1/2 between Anchorage, Homer and Whittier. It's been 2 years in the making (had to cancel last year) and now I am getting nervous that something will go wrong and we'll have to cancel again.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

DonP

N-E-Where-USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 11:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Haven't been there since 2005 but spent the summer and went anywhere that we wanted. If it is still available get The Alaska Tour Saver book, it around $100 and it's a 2 for 1 deal. We took advantage of it and it really enticed us to do much more touristy things than we may have at twice the price. Saved the price of the book on the first 2 attractions.
Take your time and have fun, whats and extra 200 miles to see something that you may never get back to. Your total trip may be 10,000 miles so whats a few hundred more
Don

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Crowe wrote:

.but overall this doesn't seem like a terribly buggy year.

That's awesome news for me! Hopefully that holds true on Kodiak as well. We fly out in just over two weeks. 5 1/2 days on Kodiak then about 6 1/2 between Anchorage, Homer and Whittier. It's been 2 years in the making (had to cancel last year) and now I am getting nervous that something will go wrong and we'll have to cancel again.

Kodiak has had a bit more moisture than SC Alaska and has not had the record heat (IIRC) that Los Anchorage has....so the bugs might be at par for this year, but much of coastal Kodiak gets sea breezes which really helps.

Anch/Whittier/Homer should have a lower bug incidence than usual...again, at least in the somewhat developed areas: Was out on the boat last weekend out of Seward and pulled nearshore just because and got swarmed with gnats until a breeze took them away. Strange, but I don't think that will be the usual. Of course, it may hit 1-August and start raining everyday..who knows.

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/19 03:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

. Of course, it may hit 1-August and start raining everyday..who knows.

Of course it will-I leave 8/3! [emoticon] Been to Kodiak and the weather was interesting. In the town it was 70 and sunny. Drove down to Fossil Beach and we were wearing winter coats! I'm hoping for a few less bugs at least on the mainland. Have bug netting, will travel!

Charles2222

Cochran

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/18/19 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go up on Flat Top at Anchorage for the view.Don’t miss Ships Creek to watch Combat Fishing as the locals told me.

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 07/18/19 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is OP.
I made it to Homer spit and it was stunning drive regardless smoke and road construction.
But even on Thursday Homer is a ZOO.
100's of RVs, 1000's of cars park everywhere.
Than on 1/4 mile walk on spit tip, we counted about 20 restaurants. All have good number of patrons even before dinner hr.
Will see what that place turn into on Friday night.
If you plan to come here for few days - bring bigger checkbook.
Mosquitos are not a problem here. I still have bites from Washington state.
Than we do have good weather, with 73F today, what I heard is uncommon.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Things to do in Alaska?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.