|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Roof

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
morada

Residence

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/19 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bought 2014 Keystone Alpine 3600 RS new.Sat in lot for 3 years. Maintained and kept up. Wife retires. Tow rig to Arizona via Santa Fe NM. Bought cover for it. Upon covering, noticed separation of roof about 1/4 inch from molding. from front cap.Took to shop. Shop says the roof was cut 2-3 inches too short. Air entered under roof material, causing a large air bubble.

Keystone will not make it right. Have had nothing but trouble with this company. Their product is shoddy, inferior and their customer support is abysmal.

Do not buy Keystone.

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/19 12:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Prepare for lots of people to chastise you for not checking the roof, or having a qualified person check before buying, or doing a good PDI.

It is what it is - if your interested in keeping it, check out Flex Armor.

Good luck

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

sgfrye

north carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/19 12:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2012Coleman wrote:

Prepare for lots of people to chastise you for not checking the roof, or having a qualified person check before buying, or doing a good PDI.

Good luck

x2
sorry you are having problems but an independent rv inspection is worth every penny before buying a used or even new rig unless you know what to look for.

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/19 12:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2012Coleman wrote:

Good luck

EXACTLY CORRECT. I never, never buy a new RV on a lot without looking it over carefully and getting a step ladder and looking at the roof.

Your baby now, time to repair it and move on. Bet you'll know better next time.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/19 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm a little unclear on the actual details. Did you buy it new in 2017 after it has sat on the dealer's lot for 3 years? Or did you buy it new in 2014 and it sat on a site/lot for 3 years, and now you've discovered the issue after towing it to New Mexico?

I would think you'll have lots of issues getting Keystone to correct what the shop says is a problem from the factory, after 5 years. Is the "shop" a Keystone dealer?

My immediate thought would be you need to do a thorough inspection for water intrusion in the area where the roof material is pulled away.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

pcm1959

home

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/19 01:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I so wish I was able to notify those I see on the opposite side of the highway traveling along with a huge bubble in their roof. Late model rigs, too. I passed a guy one day and then looked in my rearview mirror to only see his roof with a huge bubble. I slowed down in hopes he'd catch back up so I could tell him. Maybe he knew as he was only going about 55mph.

2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/19 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How big is the bubble? From what you described there is already a 1/4 gap or so from the front cap to the rubber roof, so I would lift the rubber look for any rotted roof substrate. If the roof is dry and sound I would glue it back down and attach the front of the rubber roof with a 4 in wide strip of eternabond tape or eq to cover the front cap. Once you prepare the rubber and FG cap it will hold the roof in place and keep it from peeling back.

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/17/19 05:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Shoddy, yes but it’s also five years old. Morally you have an issue with the manufacturer but legally you don’t at least in my state.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

HuckleberryHunter

Issaquah, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/19 05:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pcm1959 wrote:

I so wish I was able to notify those I see on the opposite side of the highway traveling along with a huge bubble in their roof. Late model rigs, too. I passed a guy one day and then looked in my rearview mirror to only see his roof with a huge bubble. I slowed down in hopes he'd catch back up so I could tell him. Maybe he knew as he was only going about 55mph.

Man, me too! Saw a lot of them between Yellowstone and Seattle last year. Most were going the opposite direction on the interstate. Looking in my rearview, I realize there isn't anyway to know when you're going down the road unless you put a GoPro up there. Scary stuff. I check my roof frequently for any type of suspect issues.

To the OP, sorry to hear. With the exception of going through your insurance I don't think you'll probably get much help from the manufacturer on a 3-yr old rig. Bummer situation.

2019 Outdoors RV 21DBS
2016 Silverado 2500 Duramax
Equalizer 4-point WDH

yankeecamper

FUQUAY VARINA, NC, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/17/19 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you want to keep your 5er call RV Armor an have them look at it. There will come out and give you an advice and to repair it. You may what them to cover the complete roof. The product is guaranteed for life.

Barb and Rich, Fuquay Varina, NC
2017 Dodge Ram 3500 Tradesmen Quad Cab
Dually 4x2
6.7Liter HO Cummings Turbo Diesel
2017 Bighorn traveler 39MB

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Roof
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS