|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> The verdict is in! DRW vs SRW....real world

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Jackathan

Nebraska

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/19 08:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Love my 2012 ram crew cab long bed dually. It's my daily driver, no problems fitting anywhere I need to. Yes, It sticks out sometimes. I back into all tight spots. If it's a large lot, I park out where no one else is. Fits no problem in the parking garage in Estes Park, also downtown Estes Park, backed in. Parked in the airport parking garage last week, backed in. Width was fine, length stuck out. Be careful and have an exit strategy, no problems. I have a picture of the airport parking garage, but can't figure out how to embed it. I'm not afraid to drive it anywhere. If it don't fit, I'll find a spot for it.

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/19 08:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jimh425 wrote:

Many of us had SRWs first. In my case, the limitations of the DRW were too much to overcome when it was my daily driver. I still miss the SRW when the TC isn’t on.

100%. Sometimes you got to do what you got to do.

bradw

Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

#1Flyboy

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/19 08:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I read a lot of posts and although I WANTED a SRW I got what I needed, a DRW.... Got a 2019 AF865 ( lightest AF TC by the way ) & I’m 1500 over the GVWR.....Please don’t fool yourself with your thoughts...

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/19/19 08:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't work for me, we camp primarily off road. Too wide.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

zcookiemonstar

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/19 01:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey new rig looks great. As for not being able to take my dually through a drive through for me that is a good thing!

wanderingaimlessly

SOBOVA

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/19 05:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

With the changes in trucks capabilities in the last 10 years, it's not really a fair comparasion.
But glad your happy with the new truck, now ,,,,, enjoy.

Sorry, but will disagree the difference in stability between a SRW and DRW is very noticeable!
Many refuse to a DRW when the load demands, and throwing band-aids at their SRW 350/3500's and even some with 250/2500's, having those 2 extra tires make a huge difference in stability.
Yes, they are wide at the hips, mine is 8', but will fit most places I want or need to go.

My point was simply that in both the srw and drw. the 10 year change is over a 1000 pound increase in payload capacity. The trucks are all getting more capable every year.

emcvay

Moses Lake WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/19 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2010 F350 SRW had a GVWR of 11,500lbs and weighed in at just under 8000lbs without the tailgate. It had about 43000 miles on it when I put the AF990 on it and I sold it with 56500 miles though only 5000 of those were with the camper (roughly) so the truck was basically still new. I had upper and lower stable loads, 4080# rated tires, HellWig BigWig rear sway bar, Rancho 9000 shocks, front hitch receiver, FireStone Airbags and possibly something I'm forgetting. It was nearly as good as you could make it and it was very good. My wife says today that it was darn near as stable as the DRW going down the road but the difference is very noticable under certain conditions.

Driving in a straight line on the interstate at 70mph? Not much difference at all though there is some.

When a sidewind hits? THe DRW beats it hands down. Passing? DRW wins. Cornering? DRW. Coming out of a parking lot? DRW ....I could go on.

I hate to admit it, I do! But the 5400lbs payload on my DRW beats the heck out of the ~4270lbs payload of the SRW which had a snowplow package and camper sheet (which I thought only came with the camper package but it didn't have that).

The new truck is actually all set up for towing and doesn't have a camper recommendation though it tells you how to load one etc. It has the max GVWR package though and the tow package.

ANyway, I'm not saying my old SRW couldn't have carried this camper for a million miles without issue, I'm just saying the new DRW is better all around and I haven't done a thing to it. Is it more expensive? Sure! I paid $32k for a used SRW with 32,000 miles on it and added about $5k in add ons vs $60.9k for a new DRW with 16 miles on it so I dumped $24k more to get this truck but on my 2000 mile trip this summer I'll be much more relaxed [emoticon]

I'm no longer going to worry about the dredded rear tire blow out! [emoticon]

2019 F350 Lariat FX4 DRW PS6.7
2019 AF990

emcvay

Moses Lake WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/19 07:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

oh and the new truck is rated at 14,000gvwr [emoticon] and I will be under that. Just.

BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/19 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rhagfo wrote:

...................the difference in stability between a SRW and DRW is very noticeable!

Agreed. I went from a 2001 F350 SRW to a 2006 F350 DRW. They were basically the same truck except SRW vs DRW. The DRW was night and day difference vs the SRW. I would actually forget the camper was back there with the DRW. I ALWAYS knew it was back there with the SRW truck.

Having said that; I hauled that same camper for 10 years on two different SRW trucks. That worked for me at the time, but it wasn't that fun to drive.

bradw

otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/20/19 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe it's a forgone conclusion that a DRW will be more stable than the same (year/make/model) truck in a SRW configuration when carrying the same load. I mean, how could it not be--lol! However, certainly get the impression that a lot of the comparisons being made here are based on overloaded SRW's---some significantly. Comparisons made under these conditions would tend the exaggerate the actual effectiveness of a DRW. I believe if you compared a SRW carrying its maximum rated load vs. a DRW carrying its maximum rated load, the difference in handling would be much less dramatic.

Bottom line, you can make any truck (including a DRW) feel and drive like a wet noodle if you overload it enough.

* This post was edited 07/20/19 10:35am by otrfun *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> The verdict is in! DRW vs SRW....real world
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.