|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> The verdict is in! DRW vs SRW....real world

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
BradW

Mayor of Flat Rock

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/19 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

emcvay wrote:

Can't say I've tested them out in any hard breaking but the new truck barely seems to notice the camper is up there!

Only ever done one full on hard stop with our TC loaded. About 4 years ago we were coming down the mountain from Silverton, Co to Durango when a big black bear sprinted across the road directly in front of us. We were also pulling a 7,500 lb car hauler with a jeep on it. We were a little over 18,000 lbs total about 60 mph coming down about a 4-5% grade. Had about 3 seconds of HARD breaking (antilock brakes chatter, truck and trailer tires smoking) before we crossed the bears path. Rig stayed straight and we missed him by a few feet. We were in our drw; I would not have wanted to make that same stop in the srw we had previously.

bradw

Wake Up America
2019 Lance 1062 and 2018 F-350 CC PSD 4X4 DRW
Tembrens, Rear Roadmaster Sway Bar, Torklift 48" Extention and 30K Superhitch
Our New Lance 1062 Truck Camper Unloading at Dealer Photos

emcvay

Moses Lake WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/19 05:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Decided to get a set of upper stable loads for the dually. Just to point the lights a little better as it does squat about 3 1/2" before adding water.

Going to take a 1200 mile shakedown trip in it this weekend and into next week to see mom and dad (dad is 89 and not doing well).

That should really tell us how it will do on the 2000 mile trip next month and I'm hopeful I'll get the stable loads first (before this weekend) but am not worried since it handles the camper very well box stock. Again, just want the light to point down a little as the camper lifted the nose 3/4" after squatting the rear.

2019 F350 Lariat FX4 DRW PS6.7
2019 AF990

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/19 06:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was towing in a very strong cross wind with my srw today. I likely would have appreciated a dually today.

2017 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

ticki2

NH

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/19 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

emcvay wrote:

Decided to get a set of upper stable loads for the dually. Just to point the lights a little better as it does squat about 3 1/2" before adding water.

Going to take a 1200 mile shakedown trip in it this weekend and into next week to see mom and dad (dad is 89 and not doing well).

That should really tell us how it will do on the 2000 mile trip next month and I'm hopeful I'll get the stable loads first (before this weekend) but am not worried since it handles the camper very well box stock. Again, just want the light to point down a little as the camper lifted the nose 3/4" after squatting the rear.
If you like the way it handles now why not just adjust the headlights ? I'm thinking of taking out my homemade overload blocks for a better ride . I'm still slightly tail high without them .

'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

towpro

Compass PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/19 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree with Ticki2. Your truck is going to sit high in the back unloaded, then hopefully level when fully loaded, this is the nature of how springs work
I get a kick out people jacking the truck up to unloaded height when fully loaded.

I measured my lights on garage door empty, than loaded camper and adjusted lights to match unloaded condition. used sharpy to mark direction up down on fender with number of turns. I carry torx bit screwdriver in console.

Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz.

Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range

emcvay

Moses Lake WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/19 03:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IT handled well without them so you make good points but it did raise the fronts 3/4" and sagged the rears 3 1/2" and wasn't fully loaded with water and food etc. So, I added the StableLoads (got in today) and gained 1 1/2" back in the rear and lowered the front back down to about normal. In essence the truck now sits level with the stable loads in and drives well (perhaps even better since the overloads are now fully engaged and they were not before.

[image]
Driveway slopes to the nose at about 3" on the camper level/bubble which is the same now as it was on the old truck ready to go [emoticon]

[image]
Full water, full food, 90% on fuel, 70%/99% on LP) just have to add a few clothes and hit the road [emoticon]

Decided to camp one night in a state park on our way south to see Mom and Dad (Dad's not well) which will be our 1200 mile test drive before we hit the road for two weeks and better than 2000 miles in August [emoticon]

emcvay

Moses Lake WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/19 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Probably been asked a lot here, but what are you running on tire pressures? Seems like 80PSI in the back is right as it gives max cap but the fronts shouldn't need 80psi. I noticed at 75psi they climb over 80 in normal driving conditions so found that interesting but planning on leaving the fronts at 70 or 75 for now which seems close to Ford recommended settings and the back at 80 as above.

Grodyman

Southern California

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/19 05:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, really no comparison. 990 is a beast.
Gman

2017 F150 CC/5.5' 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost/3.55
2018 Passport Ultra-Lite 153ML

S Davis

Western WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/19 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats on the new truck, I am jealous of you guys that have the room to park a DRW truck. My parking at my house is so tight I wouldn't be able to get it into my parking spot, and I don't want to park on the street as a neighbor just had their three week old car totaled when some crack head came around the corner and plowed into it. Now if they had a crew cab short bed DRW available that would just fit.

mountainkowboy

Socal > NE Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/19 06:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks good....we're still up in the air on what direction to go in.

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
1990 F350 S/C Lariat Dually (Red)
1990 S&S 11SC Cabover
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> The verdict is in! DRW vs SRW....real world
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS