RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Renting out your RV nightmares.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Renting out your RV nightmares.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/19 06:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hope you made enough money to make it worth it.

westernrvparkowner

montana

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/19 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe the shop doesn't want to repair the tank because there is absolutely no upside for them. If they repair it and the repairs fail down the road, they are going to be blamed. Best option may be to have the shop remove the tank, the customer take it and get it repaired by someone other than the shop and have the shop reinstall it. They would probably have to sign a disclosure that relieved the shop of any liability. Realistically, a plastic tank that is not pressurized should be a fairly easy repair, especially if aesthetics are not a consideration. However, if it was shattered and major sections are missing, forget everything I just wrote.

souraider

Rogue Valley, OR

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/19 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I find it very hard to believe that there is not a replacement tank available for your RV. With a simple google search I found tons of black tank replacements in every configuration,and size conceivable. The price ranged from $75 on up. I cannot imagine it would be cheaper to take it to a specialty shop that would charge shop rates to remove-assess-repair-reinstall.

I would suggest you become familiar with simple fixes so you save some money. Nowadays you can Youtube just about any type of repair, and go from there.

'17 F350 STX 6.7
'15 Stealth WA2313

opnspaces

San Diego Ca

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/19 11:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

roadtrek_in_DC, If you can describe or post pictures of the "damaged" tank we might be able to give a better suggestion. If you tank is made out of black ABS plastic take a look at the Plastimend web site. The stuff isn't cheap, but I can tell you from experience that it works and it works well. I did something stupid to my black tank and put a three inch slit into it. Plastimend and some fiberglass (only use fiberglass not aluminum screen) window screening sealed the tank. The patch basically melts itself into the tank and then dries and makes the tank whole again. If the repair shop isn't sure if the tank is ABS have them scrape some shavings off the outside of the tank and drop the shavings into acetone. If the shavings melt the plastimend should work.

Plastimend

1996 Suburban 4x4. 350, 4.10 3/4 ton
2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH
1986 Coleman Columbia Popup.

MWJones

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/20/19 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Roadtrek,
Your tank CAN BE REPAIRED!! I have repaired mine twice. Take the tank out or have it taken out. Take it to a boat repair place.
PS: It takes different risen than fiberglass or clear poly. They will know that. Your tank is ABS material NOT fiberglass.

M Jones
American and Texan by birth
Christian by the Grace of God
Retired and enjoying Traveling and Camping
Spending part of summers in South Fork, Co

steelhunter

North Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/19 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just cut a hole in the bottom.
Chances are the renters won't notice.

BobsYourUncle

Calgary Alberta Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/19 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In an old TT I was rebuilding, I needed the black tank due to a fracture around the neck at the toilet attachment point.
Old trailer, no parts available.

I went to my local RV service / parts store. People there were always helpful and great to deal with.

They had a catalog of generic tanks, made by some aftermarket company. I removed my old tank, took some careful measurements of the exact size, location of toilet flange, vent pipe and drain along with the desired sizes of all that and took this info to them.

They handed me the catalog to browse and I found a tank that was close to the same size. I gave them the diagram of where the holes needed to be and ordered the tank.

They took a generic off the shelf size tank and custom made it for my application. When it came back, it fit perfectly.

And it didn't break the bank to order. Don't remember what I paid for it but it was quite reasonable.

2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ
Dmax/Allison

1997 Triple E Topaz 27' Bunkhouse TT

I do
Precision Guesswork
based on
Vague Assumptions
&
Unreliable Data of Dubious Accuracy
provided by persons of
Questionable Intellectual Capacity

Now, What would you like done?

Lwiddis

Los Angeles area :(

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/20/19 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look, Gulfcoast, I’m sure...positive...OP has insurance that covers him for loss, major damage, liability etc. and that he/she factored that all into his price to make the big bucks.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL pole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560)

et2

MI.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/20/19 08:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I find it hard to understand an insurance company will even cover you if your renting it out. Most insurance will drop you or your rates will go thru the roof.

Why aren't you just charging the people who rented and broke your stuff instead of claiming on your insurance.

Do you keep a substantial security deposit until you can get a look at any damage?

Sounds like owning a RV isn't something that fits your lifestyle. Why not just sell it and forget about all the worries.

navegator

San Diego CA.

View Profile

Posted: 07/20/19 09:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wold like to know the ratio of proffit versus the expenses of the repairs? And that includes the deductibles and insurance premiums.

I will not lend the RV to anyone even my brother is a NO, NO.

navegator

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Renting out your RV nightmares.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS