RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: 10 days in Michigan

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/19 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Geoboy recommended Henry Ford and Greenfield Village. That can now be had with a factory tour (I have never done). I will suggest (as I do with any guests we get) that you plan two full days, one for the museum and one for the village. Parking an RV near there is problematic at best. The TV will do OK.

If you choose to do this, There are three close by campgrounds but only two are full hookup. That is the Wayne County Fair Ground and other is called "Detroit Greenfield" or such and is farther west. I know little of either as they are real close and we never stop that close to home.

I also strongly suggest that you get online and read about what they offer as it is a lot and it is not cheap. It also should not be missed if you have any interest at all.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

GeoBoy

Bennington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/19 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We stayed at the Wayne County Fairgrounds, then have full hookups, the showers are atrocious, but they are close and easy to get to the museum/village. Yes, plan on a day for each venue, don’t miss it.

Addy15

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/19 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Would have responded sooner, but we have just returned today from a 9-day tour of northern Michigan. In the Traverse City area, I would highly recommend Indigo Bluffs RV Park and Resort. We just stayed there for two nights earlier in the week. They have an RV Park/Campground side, many sites with FHU. They also have a luxury RV resort side, which does have nightly rates (higher than the other side, but they are VERY nice sites). Well maintained grounds, restrooms were always clean, dry and fresh smelling. They even pick up your trash for you. There is a pool too. It's about 15-20 miles west of Traverse City in the Sleeping Bear Dunes area. Fun area, lots to do there.

fdwt994

Indianapolis, IN

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/19 03:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Michigan state park campgrounds are a little too crowded and disorganized for us. Still pretty, but the sites tend to be an "area" which means campers will sometimes be positioned sideways, backwards, etc. I highly recommend Platte River Campground at Sleeping Bear Dunes. You're extremely unlikely to get reservations on short notice, but they have quiet a few walk-up only sites. I would call them and see if they have specific days / times when your chances are best to get a site. Also, in the Petoskey area is the Petoskey KOA. Although typical crowded sites like at most KOA's, this particular location is spotless, has all kinds of nice amenities, and is in a nice location.

* This post was edited 08/03/19 08:57am by fdwt994 *

2018 F250 6.2 Crew Cab
2018 Salem Hemisphere GLX 312QBUD
A family who loves to camp!

Addy15

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/19 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fdwt994 wrote:

Michigan state park campgrounds are a little too crowded and disorganized for us. Still pretty, but the sites tend to be an "area" which means campers will sometimes be positioned sideways, backwards, etc.

Definitely noticed that at Straits State Park...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.