|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Grand Design purchase

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
fly4fun

Keller Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/19 08:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for all the info guys. Today I started contacting dealers within a 600 mile radius for pricing. I am willing to travel for the right deal.I am sure a good deal will come along and I am very patient.

laknox

Arizona

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/19 09:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fly4fun wrote:

Thanks for all the info guys. Today I started contacting dealers within a 600 mile radius for pricing. I am willing to travel for the right deal.I am sure a good deal will come along and I am very patient.

One thing I found during my 2 year search for a new FW, was that a lot of dealers are using Craigslist, RVTrader and RVT. With Craigslist, there is a nice tool that will search =every= CL listing, including Canada and Mexico. It's called Searchtempest and is very flexible on search filters. If you've got enough RAM in your computer, you can open every location at once, search through any results, then close each tab as you finish it. It will also search evil-bay, too. One thing that helps is knowledge of Boolean search logic as that will cut down on a lot false hits.

False hits are one of my biggest complaints with RVTrader. You search for a specific model and it will return many other results. RVT, OTOH, almost never returns falses, though it's much smaller.

Lyle

2002 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4x4 6.5' Bed
Banks Bullet Tuner and Monster Exhaust
B&W Turnover Ball with 5th Wheel Companion
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 61 Year Member

dryfly

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/19 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DallasSteve wrote:

An additional thought:

Grand Design seems to be different that most travel trailer brands. They seem to have a contract with the dealers that they are not allowed to advertised discount prices. We can assume this is so Grand Design can rip off their customers as much as possible. In the travel trailer market discounts of 25% to 35% off MSRP is normal. I think this is also true for Grand Design, but I'm not sure.

Steve

Please explain why not advertising discount pricing is a way for GD to rip off customers as much as possible?

Any buyer can contact any dealer and receive a discounted price off MSRP. Different dealers equal different discounts. I can't see how a manufacturer would make any more off a trailer that is eventually sold to the customer at MSRP or heavily discounted.

BillyBob Jim

US

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/19 02:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DallasSteve wrote:

An additional thought:

Grand Design seems to be different that most travel trailer brands. They seem to have a contract with the dealers that they are not allowed to advertised discount prices. We can assume this is so Grand Design can rip off their customers as much as possible. In the travel trailer market discounts of 25% to 35% off MSRP is normal. I think this is also true for Grand Design, but I'm not sure.

Steve

If a dealer is telling you that or posting it in their ads they're just lying. It's dealer BS.

[image]

garyp4951

TN

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/19 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just got a quote for 30% off a 2019 Reflection FW, is this a decent discount, since the 2020's are out.

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/19 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DallasSteve wrote:

I went to McClains in Denton last year and looked at some models. They didn't seem eager to negotiate, but I never got that far. I decided to postpone the purchase. My suggestion is browse the models you can see around the country on websites like RV Trader. I think you can see discounted prices on new 2019 Grand Design models that are still in stock. Then call or visit McClains and tell them you are ready to buy at X dollars, or be willing to travel to another dealer hours or days away to get a better deal.

BillyBob Jim

The ad you posted was for a 2019. As I said in my earlier post (quoted above) I see discounts on 2019 models, but not 2020 models. You may also be able to get a discounted price on 2020 models if you call or write the dealers, but I haven't seen any advertised discounted prices on 2020. Have you?

dryfly

If GD dealers were allowed to post discounted prices it would make it easier to search for the most discounted price across the nation and then bargain against that with you local dealer. By taking that option away from the consumer it makes it more likely they will overpay (what I call "rip off").

garyp

Yes, I expect that if you call or write a GD dealer (especially call) they will start negotiating the price, even for 2020 models. My earlier comment is directed towards dealers' advertised prices on new models. As to your question, I think a 30% discount on a GD is very good, but I wouldn't take it without doing a little more comparison shopping.

Steve

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/19 05:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DallasSteve wrote:

DallasSteve wrote:

I went to McClains in Denton last year and looked at some models. They didn't seem eager to negotiate, but I never got that far. I decided to postpone the purchase. My suggestion is browse the models you can see around the country on websites like RV Trader. I think you can see discounted prices on new 2019 Grand Design models that are still in stock. Then call or visit McClains and tell them you are ready to buy at X dollars, or be willing to travel to another dealer hours or days away to get a better deal.

BillyBob Jim

The ad you posted was for a 2019. As I said in my earlier post (quoted above) I see discounts on 2019 models, but not 2020 models. You may also be able to get a discounted price on 2020 models if you call or write the dealers, but I haven't seen any advertised discounted prices on 2020. Have you?

dryfly

If GD dealers were allowed to post discounted prices it would make it easier to search for the most discounted price across the nation and then bargain against that with you local dealer. By taking that option away from the consumer it makes it more likely they will overpay (what I call "rip off").

garyp

Yes, I expect that if you call or write a GD dealer (especially call) they will start negotiating the price, even for 2020 models. My earlier comment is directed towards dealers' advertised prices on new models. As to your question, I think a 30% discount on a GD is very good, but I wouldn't take it without doing a little more comparison shopping.

Steve

x2

WTP-GC

FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/26/19 07:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DallasSteve wrote:

If GD dealers were allowed to post discounted prices it would make it easier to search for the most discounted price across the nation and then bargain against that with you local dealer. By taking that option away from the consumer it makes it more likely they will overpay (what I call "rip off)

You are missing a very important point:
If the consumer overpays...that’s the consumer’s fault.

Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

goducks10

There

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/19 07:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WTP-GC wrote:

DallasSteve wrote:

If GD dealers were allowed to post discounted prices it would make it easier to search for the most discounted price across the nation and then bargain against that with you local dealer. By taking that option away from the consumer it makes it more likely they will overpay (what I call "rip off)

How do you know you over paid?

DallasSteve

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/26/19 08:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WTP-GC wrote:

DallasSteve wrote:

I don't think I'm missing that point. But you make it sound like it's 100% the consumer's fault. I disagree. It's 50/50. GD is trying to get the consumer to overpay and that is their fault. That is normal. That's business. I'm just pointing out that they are using that trick to try to get the consumer to overpay. Buyer beware.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Grand Design purchase
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS