|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Help with water leak

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
MetalGator

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/19 06:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of the windows on our motor home has been leaking. I have taken it back to the dealer twice to have this fixed but it is still leaking. The dinette window will leak and the water is coming out the top of the frame. The leak is delayed as it usually leaks the day after it rains. I believe it is weeping in somewhere but I can't figure out where. I doesn't always leak but it seems to leak when we have had a steady rain. I don't want to take it back to the dealer for a 3rd time for a fix. Especially now since I live in Florida and its our rainy season and I don't want the motorhome sitting on the dealer lot with a leaky window. I have the motorhome stored in a garage so the only time it's in the elements is when its being used. Here is a picture of where the leak is on the window. Any ideas on where to look for this leak? I can sheet water on this window and it doesn't leak so I am guessing the water is coming in elsewhere and getting into the window frame somehow.

[image]

Its kind of hard to see but in the middle of the picture you can see the dark spot where the water is coming in.

2018 Miramar 35.3
2005 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500
4 fur kids (Murphy, Monty, Lola and Pinto)

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/19 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just because that is where the water is coming out does not mean that is where the leak is. Water will run. The leak could be anywhere above that, and running down a strut or wire or something, then just comes out there. Do not only check the window. Check everything above the window at a gradually increasing angle.

Good luck.

Bobbo, Linda and the furry kid (45 pound rescue)
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

IB853347201

Eastern Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/19 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

it's been my experience that the only way to fix a leaky window is to remove it completely, thouroughly clean any sealent off the window and window opening, apply a layer of new Butyl Window Sealant RV Putty Tape, outside and inside, and reinstall the window.
You didn't say whether or not your dealer did this so if they didn't and tried to simply caulk around hte window or just tighten the screws, that is probably why you still have the leak.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/19 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

forget the dealer,, call a rv tech in your area. better than a dealer so called tech. after last week he was a flipper at wendy,s.

MetalGator

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/19 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The valance cover over the window is getting wet as well so I don't think it is the window itself that is leaking. I think something above the window is leaking and somehow getting down into the window frame. I have blasted the window several times and haven't gotten it to leak. I am just scratching my head trying to figure out where the water is getting in.

IB853347201

Eastern Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/19 09:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can blast the area with a hose all you want and that will seldom disclose a leak. One test that you can try is to soap down the outside of the window frame and then have someone on the inside blow pressurized air along the frame with an air compressor. You should see bubbles where there is a leak.
If it's coming from above then you have a roof leak.
I'm confused. You started off this post saying that you had a window leak and then went on to say you had the dealer try to fix it. If you told them it was a window leak too, maybe that's why they couldn't fix it?

MetalGator

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/19 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To clarify, this window is on a slide. When I took it to the dealer (twice for the leak), I showed them where it was leaking on the window and showed him the valance that was getting wet. You could see the stains in the material on the valance. The first time they worked on it, they caulked around the window and took out the screws that hold the slide topper on and put calk on screws and put them back in. The slide topper screws are near the valance. The 2nd time they worked on it they put a piece of tape along the inside top of the slide, but not out at the end where the window is. I didn't understand why because that is not where the leak is. The leak can't be coming from the roof since this is on a slide that sticks out 22 inches or so. I didn't see anyplace on top of the slide where water could be coming in so I am stumped. I hate to keep throwing money at the dealer but I don't want to get water damage due to the leak. It doesn't leak every time it rains and this time the valance over the widow didn't seem wet.

midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/19 10:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

get to it its wet under the frame ,and that is trouble. I,m still for the rv tech.

mike brez

Unknown

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/19 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a leak on a window also. I took the inside trim ring off about 20 small screws and found exactly were it was comming from. This lets you see all around the window.
It takes quite a bit to pop the window out so it will not fall out.
Here is were my leak was this is with the inside trim ring removed

[image]

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

MetalGator

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/19 11:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

midnightsadie wrote:

get to it its wet under the frame ,and that is trouble. I,m still for the rv tech.

I did reach out to a local mobile RV tech.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Help with water leak
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS