|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 6.4l 8 speed towing review

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
hvac

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/19 08:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm in the market to replace our eco diesel. Its exceeded expectations as a tow vehicle,but after the AEM, its not the same truck. I know a tune will solve the problem but I have personal issues with violating the federal clean air act.

So, looking for reviews from fellow rvers on the new 8 speed/6.4l ram hd series, and if you have the 4.10 gears.This combo or the new Ford with a 10 speed is on the short list.

kellem

Shenandoah valley,VA

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/19 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can also browse through some threads at www.ramsforum.com for user impressions of the 6.4.

Like you,I can understand the desire for clean air but the additional responsibilities of owning a new diesel is chasing me towards a gasser as well and the 6.4 is appealing as is an 8spd auto.....I've been looking as we speak.

Just be aware that no gas burner will compete with the low end Torque of a diesel but that doesn't mean we can't own a competant tow vehicle.

SidecarFlip

SE Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/19 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I own 3 diesels and they all smoke.... No smoke, no fire, no fire, no power. It's smoking, you just don't see it because the smoke 'soot' is contained in the DPF, cremated with Urea.

All for Obama's clean air initative. Not me.

2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

mtofell1

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/19 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's getting great reviews on the Ram forums. The 8spd tranny sounds like a whole new world compared to the 6spd. Guys are talking about hauling up to 15,000# trailers with no problems. Aside from the terrible 6spd my Ram 2500 is a great truck. The 6.4 Hemi is a beast of an engine that, up to this point, has been somewhat wasted in the HD trucks. The 8spd sounds like a total game changer.

ShinerBock

SATX

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/19 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can guarantee that a 6.4L Hemi will put out way more CO2 than a tuned Ecodiesel if your personal reason is to be environmentally friendly. In fact, all gas engines emit more environmentally harmful CO2 than a diesel equivalent. The only thing a tuned diesel with a DPF puts out is a lot of NOx which is only bad if you are in a highly populated with high temps, but will do nothing to you in lightly populated areas with cool temps where it has a chance to dissipate into the stratosphere to become good ozone.

hvac

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/19 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 6.4l seemed to struggle on ike gauntlet, disappointing the ancient 6.0l GM outperformed it.

Ram will have to answer to Ford new Godzilla/ 10 spd. 500lbft or greater is the new goal.Ford is slow on release of this vital number. It could be much higher.

VernDiesel

Dayton OH

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/19 09:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suspect Ram will eventually answer the Ford 7.3 / GM 6.6 with opening up the 6.4 to the full 7.0L. (426ci) And 500 foot pounds of torque seems attainable. Buick made up to 510 TQ from 7.4 (455ci) back in the day.

You might also consider waiting until October when both the new 480 TQ Ecodiesel & 3.0 GM diesels should hit dealerships both supporting new dramatically improved emissions systems that should make current emissions ills largely a thing of the past much like early gasoline cat converters compared to today. Obviously enough power to tow your TT only with dramatically less fuel and a quieter smoother ride.

* This post was edited 07/23/19 09:28am by VernDiesel *

Transportr TT & boats RAM EconoDiesel Factory TBC, Tow mirrors, Hitch camera, Axle to frame air bags, Tune w turbo brake, Max tow 9,200 CGAR 7,800 CVWR 15,950 axle weights 3,340 steer 2,260 drive Truck pushed head gasket at 371k has original trans at 500k

mtofell1

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/19 09:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hvac wrote:

The 6.4l seemed to struggle on ike gauntlet, disappointing the ancient 6.0l GM outperformed it.

Ram will have to answer to Ford new Godzilla/ 10 spd. 500lbft or greater is the new goal.Ford is slow on release of this vital number. It could be much higher.

Wasn't this with a pre-2019 6spd tranny? Worlds of difference being reported with the 8spd.

Bionic Man

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/19 11:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’m surprised that the AEM is that much of a issue for you. I don’t even notice a difference vs pre update.

2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

hvac

Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/19 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bionic Man wrote:

I’m surprised that the AEM is that much of a issue for you. I don’t even notice a difference vs pre update.

I'm not the only one. Its has complaints to FCA and NHTSA for safety and drivability issues.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> 6.4l 8 speed towing review
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS