|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Bike rack on Motorhome ladder

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Timothy2001

Full Timing for Now

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/19 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Considering purchasing a bike rack that attaches to the rear ladder on the motorhome.

Anyone have experiences with these good and/or bad? It's two adult bikes and my concern is that the bikes bounce up and down and the ladder separates from the coach and that would not be fun.

Hitch will be utilized so that's out.

2008 Itasca Meridian 39z

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/19 10:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

People do it, I wouldn't. As a cyclist my bikes can be fairly expensive. I would think they would end up scratched up, not to mention the wear and tear and possible separation of the ladder from the MH.

You mention your receiver is in use, but we tow a car and use a dual hitch receiver with a hitch mounted swagman bike rack.

Been using this setup for years with no issues.

dual hitch receiver.

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/19 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not sure which bikes we're talking about, but my three mountain bikes cost more than my 5th wheel, I would definitely want a secure attachment point for them at all costs.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/19 12:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Negative!
If you are towing a car you can get a double hitch receiver attachment so you can put the bike rack in the upper and the tow bar in the lower. They sell them in different rises and drops. Or put a hitch on the back of the car, if that’s what you are towing.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

moebedick

Worcester,Ma

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/19 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I carried two bikes on my Btouring Cruiser’s ladder. Big mistake! Developed a massive leak where the ladder connected to roof. Switched to a truck camper with a front mounted hitch. No problems other than buggy bikes. Now that I’m older and smarter (despite what my wife thinks), I carry two,folding Blix Vika+ electric bikes inside my Super Cab pickup. They stay clean and I don’t get a heart attack when I peddle up hill.

RobWNY

Jamestown, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/22/19 01:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have this model Bike Rack It works but barely. The rack tubes need to be about 3 inches longer. I can't get both adult bike frames into the mounting cradles because they're too close together so I have to wrap a rag around the tubes. I also can't use the cradle tie downs so I have to use bungee cords. Although the bikes seem rock solid back there they do rub against each other and I've lost paint on my $700 bike. My ladder is plenty strong enough and I'm sure yours is too but I now take the front wheel and pedals off and keep our bikes inside when traveling.

If God didn't want us to eat cows, he wouldn't have made them out of Steak and Cheese.

Life is a lot like a baseball pitch. Sometimes you get a fast ball down the middle of the plate and sometimes you get a curve ball in the dirt.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/19 03:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get the Swagman with a 2" female tube that fits over a 2" receiver. You may/may not need a slightly longer receiver.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/22/19 06:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA Traveler wrote:

Get the Swagman with a 2" female tube that fits over a 2" receiver. You may/may not need a slightly longer receiver.

Yep, I forgot about those. They work well also.

Timothy2001

Full Timing for Now

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/19 05:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

People do it, I wouldn't. As a cyclist my bikes can be fairly expensive. I would think they would end up scratched up, not to mention the wear and tear and possible separation of the ladder from the MH.

You mention your receiver is in use, but we tow a car and use a dual hitch receiver with a hitch mounted swagman bike rack.

dual hitch receiver.

Thanks for all,of the input and I have ruled out the ladder rack.

That dual receiver has a capacity of 4000 lbs, your toad or trailer must be lighter?

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/19 05:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timothy2001 wrote:

way2roll wrote:

dual hitch receiver.

Thanks for all,of the input and I have ruled out the ladder rack.

That dual receiver has a capacity of 4000 lbs, your toad or trailer must be lighter?

What are you towing?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  All

> Bike rack on Motorhome ladder
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS