|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> New-to-me truck and camper

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mbloof

Beaverton, OR

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/19 06:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only upgrade I'd consider doing right off the bat is if the inside lights are LED or not. Upgrading the lighting to LED's will save a bunch of power.

twodownzero

NM

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/19 07:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doing a bunch of quick math it looks like you should have no problem staying within capacity on your truck. I'm sure it'll do great.

You may want to add a little more solar, it just depends on if you get good sun every day. If you do, the 150 watts probably will be enough. As someone stated above, LEDs will reduce your daily use quite a bit.

Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/19 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your F350 has the camper package, you already have the OEM rear stabilizer bar. Aftermarket ones are better, but my OEM bar was enough for my Arctic Fox. Add a Hellwig BigWig if you you don't have one.

I used Torklift upper StableLoad pads and lower wedges on the rear to keep my F250 level. Your F350 sits 2" taller in the rear due to the axle blocks, so I would suggest the lower wedges first and add the upper pads later if the suspension still needs help with sag.

Your F350 came with 18" wheels which were optional on my F250. The 275/70R18 LRE tire is good for about 7500 lbs on the rear axle which should be enough for your camper. The axle is a Visteon Sterling 10.5" rated by them at 9750 lbs. Ford puts lower rated suspension and wheels on the truck which reflects in the axle assembly rating on the door sticker. Upgrading rims, tires and springs will allow you use of the actual axle rating if you require it.

FYI: Your published weights are close to my actual '05 F250 weights. Mine was a short bed extended cab with 4wd, diesel and automatic and weighed 4500 lbs up front and 2750 lbs in the rear. You may find your truck weighs slightly more.

Chevy Sonic 1.8-Honda Passport C70B-Host Mammoth 11.5-Interstate Car Carrier 20-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX 8.75-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW TransBuggy 1200

northshore

northshore

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/19 01:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't want to turn this into a Ford 6.0 liter discussion, however I have 2006 f350 with the 6.0 it is completely stock and with no chipping. I got 68K on mine and have had the same thoughts as you about doing the preemptive "bullet proofing" I have updated and completed all the little things, like coolant, blue spring, trans pan upgrade etc. and figure Ill drive it until we get to the point that the oil temp and coolant temperature differential is greater than recommended and go from there.
My camper is a Lance 1130 and have done a few tweaks to the suspension like upgraded sway bars that help significantly and so far I am happy with the performance and handling
good luck with yours

MG1912

World

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/19 07:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bedlam wrote:

FYI: Your published weights are close to my actual '05 F250 weights. Mine was a short bed extended cab with 4wd, diesel and automatic and weighed 4500 lbs up front and 2750 lbs in the rear. You may find your truck weighs slightly more.

I went to the CAT scale today. The tailgate was removed and there was a full tank of diesel.

Front axle: 4,560 lbs.
Rear axle: 2,960 lbs.
total: 7,520 lbs.

[image]

mountainkowboy

Socal > NE Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/19 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ur gonna be close loaded and ready to camp, but should be ok.

Chuck & Ruth with 4-legged Molly
1990 F350 S/C Lariat Dually (Red)
1990 S&S 11SC Cabover
2011 Ford Ranger
1987 HD FLHTP

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/19 10:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Again not turning this into a 6.0 thread, but that's where I'd concentrate my efforts if your intention is to have the truck a long time and of its a significant expense to you.
Plenty of them running around with a lot of miles and not bulletproofed and plenty of them that dont make it past low miles without serious work. Idk what the odds are. 50/50?, better?, worse?
The rest of the truck is as good as they get, so take care of it and it'll take care of you, IMO.

"Yes Sir, Oct 10 1888, Those poor school children froze to death in their tracks. They did not even find them until Spring. Especially hard hit were the ones who had to trek uphill to school both ways, with no shoes." -Bert A.

whizbang

Kenmore, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/29/19 06:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats on the new truck and camper set-up.

Your weights are about right. At the end of the day, you will be right at, or a couple hundred pounds over your GVWR.

Add the fluids, propane, diesel, spouse, dogs, sporting equipment, pots and pans, clothing, food, and beer, etc, and you will be about #4200 pounds.

Good luck and have fun.

Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

MG1912

World

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/19 10:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, in the weeks since my last post, we’ve been busy preparing for the camper. We installed a Bluetooth head unit in the dash, Rancho 7000 shocks in the front and 9000 adjustables in the rear. We will install the rubber bed mat and upper StableLoads later this week (basically right before we pick up the camper). The dealership will install the tie down system. Truck actually has stock sway bar, which we will try out first. If needed, I will install a Hellwig later.

The truck was in very good shape, but the radiator was corroded, so I had the entire cooling system replaced (new radiator, degas bottle, hoses, engine oil cooler, BPD EGR cooler), as the cooling system is the pivotal failure point on the 6.0 (and is responsible for the EGR failures and, ultimately, the famous head gasket issues). FICM was weak (reading 40 volts or lower), so that got replaced. Injectors were in good shape, practically like new. Metal air inlet connections, turbo got cleaned and rebuilt with new unison ring, new glow plug harness, connectors, O-rings, any hoses that were getting soft got replaced, new batteries (the old ones were 7 years old), new fluids and filters, etc.

Besides the cooling system replacements/upgrades and FICM, the most critical work was the new O-ringed heads, ARP head studs, and the tuner. The tuner was a “need.” The O-ringed heads and the studs were a “want” that I decided to go ahead and do while the cab was off. The custom tune deletes the EGR cooler without having to remove it or weld it, and it interacts with the truck’s computer to stop it from throwing codes due to the delete. If I ever want to go stock again (for emissions testing or for resale), I can set the tuner back to “stock” mode and open the EGR valve. Note that I am *not* running any “performance” tunes, adding HP, etc. The tuner also has a very good gauge displays. I’ve got EGT, TFT, EOT, and ECT on the screen. Those temps are set to give me an alarm when they start approaching critical temps (I know what those are and why they are important). Brakes are in good shape, as is the suspension system. Ball joints are good. Tie rod on driver’s side is a tad loose, but still good for another year or so. Shocks were replaced, as I mentioned above. I want to replace the spare tire with the same tire as my current Nitto Terra Grappler G2’s (which are larger than the stock 275’s), but I’m not sure if it will fit in the space allotted under the bed.

I’m having the camper dealership install a Froli sleep system and a Cirrus foam mattress, as well as an updated charge controller and a 170 watt panel (for a total of 320 watts on the roof to match with the 300 amps of batteries). Oh, I forgot to mention that last time – the batteries are in very good shape, two Lifeline 150 amp 12v batteries.

We couldn’t find any high-quality jumper cables, so we made our own with 1/0 gauge pure copper wire and clamps. Now I know why we couldn’t find the jumpers we wanted – just the components themselves were rather pricey since we bought quality. It is seriously heavy-duty, I’ll probably have them for life. I also have a 4000 amp lithium jump starter. I will be prepared to start my 6.0 diesel if I ever run the batteries down… or to start a Mack truck.

I’ve still got to get my road kit, generator, recovery straps, come-a-longs, air compressor, camp chairs, etc., etc. But the actual truck is pretty much ready to receive the camper, and the actual camper will be pretty much ready to use once I pick it up. So lots of progress made. I’ll post another update (hopefully with pics) once the camper is on the truck and I start living in it, and I’ll go back to the CAT scale and weigh the truck and camper “wet” (with 40 gallons of water and 40 pounds of propane) and post my weights here.

[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 08/26/19 10:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sweet setup!
Truck's bulletproofed now and ready to rock! 6.0s rip with a small tune.
Just keep up with good oil and coolant.
Nice camper too. Have a blast.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> New-to-me truck and camper
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS