|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Curb weight

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
concord 05

Van Buren

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/19 07:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are trading our class A for a 2016 Forest River 2401w with the Mercedes Diesel engine. We tow a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4wd which has a curb weight of around 4600. Our new rig is rated to tow at 4200/350. Do I really have to get rid of my Jeep? I know that I am going to have to trim down what we put in there as these rigs can’t carry a lot. We have never had a diesel RV. Our advancing age is pushing us to go smaller in hopes we can continue this for many more years and share the driving more. I like the freedom a toad vehicle provides us for exploring but may just do without if I can’t tow my Jeep.

Lwiddis

Near USFS Glass Creek CG, Inyo County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/19 07:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you love having a toad weighing more than your new MH will handle, why would you buy that MH? This “getting older” stuff is mental, not physical. So it takes longer to hook up? So it takes more concentration? So what?

The Jeep is toooo heavy...trimming won’t help.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2019 Chevy Silverado LTZ Z71, 300 watts solar-parallel & MPPT, Trojan T-125s. TALL flagpole for flags. Prefer USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, USF&WS, state & county camps. Bicyclist! 14 year Army vet - 11B40 then 11A - old MOS 1542 & 1560.

MDKMDK

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/19 08:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's a Cherokee. It's a Chrysler SUV with a Jeep badge.
Get rid of it, and get a Wrangler, if you want to tow a Jeep.
However, it sounds like you're GVWR/GCWR challenged, so do the towing math before you decide what path to follow.

Lwiddis

Near USFS Glass Creek CG, Inyo County, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/19 08:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“do the towing math before you decide what path to follow.”

x2

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/23/19 08:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

At 24 ft I would try it without the toad first to see if you are OK with it. I am used to a toad and it is convenient, especially with a Class A or larger C, but several on here just park their short C anywhere that you would park a big truck or SUV.

ron.dittmer

North-East Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 07/23/19 11:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

See if the dealer/seller of the 2016 rig will include in the deal, changing the 4200/350 pound hitch to a 5000/500 pound rated one. Many 2016 MB chassis rigs have a 5000 pound hitch. They should be available. Tell the dealer what you learned about the towing problem with your Cherokee. If he includes the 5k hitch in the deal, then you are good to go ahead with the deal again. The cost of a new 5000 pound hitch to a dealer will be around $100, and his own labor cost even less so I think he would agree to that.

If your GCWR is overweight thereafter, then adjust your load accordingly by carrying less on-board water and such.

* This post was last edited 07/24/19 07:55am by ron.dittmer *   View edit history

2007 Phoenix Cruiser model 2350, with 2006 Jeep Liberty in-tow

PartyOf Five

Wheaton, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/19 04:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

5k tow rating should be no problem with a sprinter chassis

Da Moose - 2001 Dutchman 31' on E450

lane hog

Tucson, AZ & NW Chicago Burbs, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/19 06:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’d think upgrading the hitch receiver would certainly be less than buying a new toad.

• 2005 Winnebago "Minnie" 31C (was a three-time Jayco owner)
  • 2012 MasterTow Dolly pulling a Honda Odyssey or Insight (had Ram 2500 CTD, Durango, Liberty...)
  • Onan Microquiet 4000, plus 130W solar and Honda EU2000i twins for backup

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/19 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The capacity to tow is the lesser of the hitch rating or what's left in the GCWR of the MH after doing the math of GCWR less the weight of the MH how it's loaded for travel. Simply adding a hitch of 5000 if the MH can only handle 4200 won't get you anywhere. You have to load the MH for travel, weigh it, do the math and then see what - if any - capacity you have left. THAT is what you can safely tow. You may find it's well short of the 4200.

But you are starting off knowing you are already overweight without a drop of water, food, fuel or people with the toad you have. So it's a moot point. You need a smaller TOAD or a MH with more capacity.

You can't just add a hitch and expect the MH's capacity to increase like magic, there are constraints on the chassis, drivetrain, brakes etc that engineers use to calculate the capacity to start with. Adding a hitch doesn't change any of that. If I am not mistaken, FR adds the frame members to the MB chassis and rates it at 4200 lbs. So unless you are going to beef up the frame members on the chassis at a minimum, adding a 20k hitch does nothing and still leaves you with 4200 to tow and a pack of crackers in the mh.

* This post was last edited 07/24/19 08:20am by way2roll *   View edit history

FunTwoDrv

NC

View Profile

Posted: 08/01/19 06:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless I'm mistaken on this, towing capacity is stated as "Up to" 4200lbs. So, based on how your C is loaded, you may have all of that capacity, or you may have some reduced amount of capacity. For reference, our stock Wrangler 4dr weighs 4520 with the base plate installed.

Gary

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Curb weight
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS