RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: My new to me camper.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> My new to me camper.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 09/17/19 11:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobG wrote:

Your camper looks awesome! You've done a great job cleaning it up.

I'm looking at your weight slip... 8060 on the drive axle. Look at the sidewalls of your new tires and see what the weight rating is. I looked it up on Tire Rack and it's 3415 per tire at 80 psi. That's 6830 lbs for both tires. You're 1200 lbs overweight.

It's one thing to be over your axle weight (I do that every time I load my camper), but I NEVER exceed the tire ratings. I hate to be the one to break the news, but you need a dually or a much smaller/lighter camper. Your tires are overloaded, and despite being Michelins, will eventually blow out even if you keep them at 80 psi. They aren't meant for that kind of weight.

I've weighed the truck empty and with the camper on the truck dry and loaded with water and everything else.

Minus the trailer and ATV I'm only a few hundred pounds over the rear axle GVW.

Certainly not enough to warrant a dually or a different camper.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Lance 9'6" TC on my dually and my rear axle weight is 6000 even, loaded and ready for the hills(No trailer)...By the picture you posted,the ATV is mostly in front of the axle on the trailer putting most of the ATV weight on the truck rear axle..

I haven't weighed with the ATV trailer but because of the hitch extension,I am aware of the tongue weight of the trailer when loading.

Might try moving the ATV farther back on the trailer to lighten up the rear axle/tire weight..

Trailers behind a huge TC can really increase the rear axle weight of the truck and pressure on the rear tires...Tongue weight is everything in doing so...

Nice rig..I sure like my older Lance..Trouble free just like the other two Lances I have owned..

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"few hundreds over" sounds like attempt to cover the problem.
Per given sample it can be 20% over tire ratings, before trailer hook up.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 08:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kayteg1 wrote:

"few hundreds over" sounds like attempt to cover the problem.
Per given sample it can be 20% over tire ratings, before trailer hook up.

What problem?

The trailer and its load is included in the rear axle numbers. Not just the tongue weight.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/19 08:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

.By the picture you posted,the ATV is mostly in front of the axle on the trailer putting most of the ATV weight on the truck rear axle..

I lifted the tongue with my bare hands to hitch it to my truck.

I seriously doubt that I can lift half of what that ATV weighs.

With a full tank of fresh water, both propane tanks filled and no trailer the rear axle weight is 6200 pounds, as per CAT-Scale.

The rear axle is not 1800 lbs over. Like I said, a few hundred pounds.

I've had everything on the scales. I know how much everything weighs.

* This post was edited 09/18/19 08:39pm by specta *

RobG

Mesa, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The little ATV trailer with a quad on it is pretty light... but consider the lever effect of a hitch extension multiplies your otherwise low tongue weight (which I estimate at maybe 300 lbs) to more like 1200. So you're right -- unhook the trailer and you're closer to your proper weight. BUT, that means not towing. I would not want to risk going that far over on my tire ratings; that's one place you don't want to mess around. The last thing you want or need is a blow-out because of it, especially at freeway speeds.

But, it's your stuff... if you want to risk it, that's up to you. BTW if you do have a blowout and it causes an accident, the cops WILL look at that sort of thing.

2019 Arctic Fox 992 Truck Camper
2006 Keystone Raptor 3814SS 5th Wheel Toyhauler (live in it fulltime)
2005 Dodge RAM 3500 Quad Cab Dually 4x4 SLT 6sp
A quad, a few motorcycles, and a dog.

adamis

Northern California

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/19 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RobG wrote:

The little ATV trailer with a quad on it is pretty light... but consider the lever effect of a hitch extension multiplies your otherwise low tongue weight (which I estimate at maybe 300 lbs) to more like 1200. So you're right -- unhook the trailer and you're closer to your proper weight. BUT, that means not towing. I would not want to risk going that far over on my tire ratings; that's one place you don't want to mess around. The last thing you want or need is a blow-out because of it, especially at freeway speeds.

But, it's your stuff... if you want to risk it, that's up to you. BTW if you do have a blowout and it causes an accident, the cops WILL look at that sort of thing.

The moment arm "level effect" as you call it does not increase the weight of the tongue from 300lbs to 1200lbs. The moment arm is the amount of twisting force exerted by the tongue of the trailer to the hitch and transferred to the frame of the truck. This is different than the static load (or dynamic when moving) that the tongue weight will add to the tires themselves. The 300lb tongue weight (likely closer to 150lb if he could lift it by hand) is just 300lbs as far as the rear tires are concerned.

1999 F350 Dually with 7.3 Diesel
2000 Bigfoot 10.6 Camper

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/19 09:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

I took a couple of days and went camping. [emoticon]

[image]

This is why I have a camper. To explore different places on my ATV.

[image]

I am very pleased with my new camper. Its perfect for me.
I love the counter top. Well worth the extra couple of feet.
I was surprised at how quiet the furnace is too.

[image]

And I am very pleased with just how well my truck handles everything. [emoticon]

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/19 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nice pics. Fall is really pretty.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

OkieGene

oklahoma city

View Profile

Posted: 10/09/19 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh! Like! Very much!!!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 9  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> My new to me camper.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2020 CWI, Inc. © 2020 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.