RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: My new to me camper.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> My new to me camper.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/20 05:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I was told the old Lances were built better than recent ones.

I'll bet that applies to allot of the new campers..My last two Lance truck campers were and are,trouble free with very little maintenance needed...My last Fleetwood Class C needed constant maintenance where my Beaver Class C needed very little..My Jayco units were as good as it gets as well as my old Terri's which were good but not as good as the Jayco's...All older units...

Most all of my travels are on washbordy dirt roads and that's hard on everything,pickups included..I see alot of issues on new units reading the internet and that's sad for the price they want for them..

1994 F-350 DRW /460/k&n intake /415# torque/lance 9.6/Engel compressor fridge/3 gr 27 batteries/Honda 2k/Honda 3K/WH Camo 2250/Reese solid bar extension/Buddy heater/3 inverters//Happi Jack tie downs /Firestone bags/Yamaha Rhino/Winch and Lockers

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/20 06:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimK-NY wrote:

Looks like you got a great old camper. I was told the old Lances were built better than recent ones. In any case it also looks like you have a great place to use it. I have relatives in Mt Pleasant and my father was born in Wales. It has been a while since I visited but still remember some of it.

Thank you. I don't know if they were built better or not. If they were I'll never buy a new Lance. LOL

A good friend was a Lane dealer up until 3-4 years ago when he sold his RV dealership. He did a walk thru with me on the phone and told me what to look for. Other than the generator and a recently replace water heater most everything else was "cosmetic".

I didn't plan on buying such a big camper. It kind of pushes my truck to its limits.

Mt Pleasant is a really nice little town. I've been past Wales but never been there.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
6580 lb truck 10540 fully loaded

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 11/28/20 07:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

I can tell you that I lucked out getting one with a one piece aluminum roof.
My friend that owned the dealership said he wished they had never quit using them.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/20 04:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agreed on the one piece roof...I put roof coating on mine to help with the heat and seal also..

[image]

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/20 06:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

Agreed on the one piece roof...I put roof coating on mine to help with the heat and seal also..

I've been thinking about doing that to mine.

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/20 06:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wouldn’t the aluminum color reflect heat better than white? What did Lance switch to from aluminum in those aluminum campers for the roof?

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Hankook DH-01 225/19.5 Fs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/20 07:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

jaycocreek wrote:

It works at keeping it cooler inside and also fills any unseen pin holes or cracks on the roof..I have put snow roof or something similar on every aluminum roof I have ever had..That is the first thing I do when I buy a used unit,do the roof and I have never had a roof leak doing it this way..

The aluminum roof gets hot,real hot..On a sunny day I swear you could fry an egg on it..LOL

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/20 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

specta wrote:

jaycocreek wrote:

I'm done thinking about it. I'm not going to put a coating on my roof. Just one more thing to "maintain".

jimh425 wrote:

Wouldn’t the aluminum color reflect heat better than white? What did Lance switch to from aluminum in those aluminum campers for the roof?

Not sure which one would reflect the heat better but I think the coating would end up cracking or spitting and need to be redone or touched up periodically.
Besides, if it gets hot inside I just fire up the AC. [emoticon]

I have no idea what they switched to. I just remember Scott telling me that he wished Lance would have kept with the aluminum roof. Probably because its one piece so no seams and its maintenance free.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/20 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

I'm done thinking about it. I'm not going to put a coating on my roof. Just one more thing to "maintain"

What's there to maintain,coat it and forget it..I do check around the vents and hatches but I've never had to reapply around them like you would with other methods..Like that lawyer on TV,one call that's all...lol..Although I have three coats on it,all in one day.

NRALIFR

Truck Camping Out West

View Profile

Posted: 11/29/20 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine’s got an aluminum roof as well, although with the top surface painted white (came that way). I think Lance started using TPO roof membrane about 2005 when they started building the Max models with “Lance Lock” aluminum frames.

I’ve always appreciated it. It’s got some nice hail dents in it. It’s also one of the handful of reasons I just continue to hang on to it, rather than buying a new TC.

[emoticon][emoticon]

2001 Lance 1121 on a 2016 F450

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> My new to me camper.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.