|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
henleyd

missouri

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/19 07:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

22k miles on a 2013 built 2014 Winnebago. 22k lb. chassis. Keep tires at 90psi (recommended) and service checks before long trips. Have seen comments that tires generally need replacement if years of service come before mileage. Mine appear good with inspection showing no/minor crack. What’s the norm/general replacement advice on these? I’ve had it since new. Now 6 years. Never towing or exceeding 65-70 mph. Advice please since thinking about replacement next year or two.

IB853347201

Eastern Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/19 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Personally I would not exceed 7 yrs on a MH tire based on the manufacturer's date.
How old are your tires actually? If you haven't checked, look for the manufacturer date on each tire. It is on the sidewall of each tire, a 4 digit number following DOT, like 2313. In this case, "2313" means the tire was made on the 23rd week of 2013.
Also, how did you determine that the recommended tire pressure is 90 lbs? If you look on the wall below your drivers side window, the manufacturer's recommended tire inflation for front and rear tires will be listed on the manufacturers sticker. Often is different for front and rear tires.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/19 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We had a former MH with tires about 6 yrs old. Showed no signs of cracking - until we had it inspected to sell. Turns out there were major cracks between the treads that we couldn't see. We replaced them. Better safe than sorry if you ask me. A MH blowout can be catastrophic not only to the body and components of the MH but to people.

As far as PSI rating, without loading the MH for travel and weighing then comparing to the tire manufacture's chart for proper inflation, the stickers in the MH are only a guide.

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 07/24/19 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Manufacturers recommend INSIDE inspection yearly after 7 years. This means the tire has to be dismounted to check for separation 'issues'. Given the hassle and cost of dismounting etc. I simply budget for replacements every 7 years. YMMV..Dennis

A Simple Act of Caring Creates an Endless Ripple
Dennis and Debi Ten Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

10forty2

North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/19 12:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

22K miles divided by 6 years is only about 3,600 miles per year.....most of the time sitting with some degree of UV sunlight hitting them. If you covered your tires every minute that it sat still, you might kick the can down the road another 6-8 months, IMHO. The chemical compounds in tires are meant to be heated up often through use, and as a result distributed evenly in the tire itself. 3,600 miles per year ain't a lot of miles, and several collective months of sitting in the UV rays of sunlight takes a significant toll on the tires' integrity. Others will argue that they are fine, and chances are.... that absolutely nothing will happen. However, chances are also greater now, with each passing year...that you will experience a failure. Best case, they start to slowly leak air....worst case, you have a blowout, tear up the fender well and side of the RV, and/or possibly lose control causing an accident.

Me? I'm budgeted to replace at year 7........personal preference......

1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

phil-t

Ogdensburg, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/24/19 01:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We bought a 2010 F53 with original tires and took off on a 2k mile round trip. Had an inside dual blowout. No damage to the MH. Pulled into a nearby rest stop and called Roadside Assist. We had a spare on board and were back moving in less than an hour. Those miles were the last that set of tires saw. There was some minor cracking in the base of the tread grooves.
If youk now the history, and upkeep (air pressure) of your tires from day one, (I DID NOT) I believe it can be a totally different deal. Close inspection and proper air pressure and I'm looking to get 10 yras. from my new Toyos.

2010 Winnebago Vista 32k on a 2009 Ford F53 22k chassis

IB853347201

Eastern Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/19 07:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

phil-t wrote:

If youk know the history, and upkeep (air pressure) of your tires from day one, I believe it can be a totally different deal. Close inspection and proper air pressure and I'm looking to get 10 yras. from my new Toyos.

Best Wishes with that! I tried that on our first MH. 8 I/2 years in blew an outside tire on the rear. Took out the tailpipe, fender, baggage compartment door, wheel well, associated plumbing above and around. Not including tires, cost me in the neighborhood of $8,000 to repair.
I'm not looking to do that again....

willald

GA

View Profile

Posted: 07/25/19 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mine is a 2012 (see signature), one year older than yours. I just replaced my tires a few months ago. I'm definitely in the camp with 'replace them after 7 years regardless'. As several have indicated, yes, you might get more than 7 years, but IMO the price for a tire failure with these rigs is just too great, and not worth the risk.

Also, when you put new tires on, have them check the alignment! When I replaced my tires a few months ago, I had noticed fronts were wearing excessively on outside edges. They found the toe-in was waaaaay off, had been that way from the factory! Had them correct that, Motorhome drives muuuch better now, much more straight! All those years I drove thing thing and thought its wandering was just the way it was with these rigs, didn't realize all it needed was an alignment. Now, its much less effort to drive, not near as much steering input needed. [emoticon]

Will and Cheryl
2012 FR Georgetown 351DS on F53 (V10) Chassis
See it here

henleyd

missouri

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/25/19 11:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All good comments and info Thanks. I like this forum and will heed the recommendations by experienced travelers. Now. What about tire Brands?

crawford

Dandridge Tenn.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/19 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Remember all F 53 don't have the same rim size my friends has 19.5 mine have 22.5 in rims and same chassis so go figure LOL

Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS