|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Bicyclist/RV Death

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev
Sponsored By:
TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/19 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some bike riders are a problem and break the laws. But most state have a law that bikes abide by the same traffic laws as a vehicle. Motorist are also require to keep 3 foot minimum clearance when passing a bike. Texas requires commercial vehicles to keep 5 foot clearance.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/19 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Three (3) feet, got it. So, sometimes I might need to slow way down (with my emergency lights on).

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/07/19 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kansas has a 3 feet law for bike right of way as well. I personally give a minimum of 6 feet just in case a gust of wind or rider error that might bring the rider into my path. Most main roads in Kansas have a full lane for the shoulder that bicyclists use. Some scenic secondary roads do not have a shoulder but usually not much traffic.

JohnG3

Morro Bay, California, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/07/19 11:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ductape wrote:

There’s no excuse for running down a cyclist in your lane traveling the same direction. Vehicular homicide open and shut case.

So when we were leaving a favorite place there was a mob of bicyclists clustered on the stopped on the narrow shoulder. As I slowed to a crawl as I approached cyclists. The gaggle of riders decided it was a good d time to start peddling. Well one older rider just started riding and fell over onto the road. He was lucky as I saw how wobbly he was and there was no oncoming vehicles. I was able to avoid the cyclist. Scared the **** out of us.

John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 05:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

camperdave wrote:

Driving 101. Don't outdrive your sight lines. Could be a bicyclist, a deer, a homeless drunk sitting in the street, a pool of oil, you don't know what's around the next corner. As a life long motorcyclist and ex-road bicyclist, I'm quite aware of the dangers around me.

I don't pass a bicycle if I don't have the room. Sometimes that means going REAL slow and getting honked at for a while until either a) space opens up to make the pass or b) the bicycle pulls off and lets me by.

There are a whole lot of impatient drivers out on the road these days, I gave up road cycling about 15 years ago and stick with mountain biking now. I'm a good cyclist, but I don't trust people. Seems like every few months there's another cyclist killed by a car around here. Road riding does not pass the sanity test for me anymore.
You could be describing me - I used to cycle on the road, but now only use the trails because drivers these days are ignorant and impatient when it comes to cyclists.

In my area, in a residential area with no sidewalks, the cyclist is allowed to take the entire lane - lots of signs and graphics painted on the road surface. Most cyclists in these areas are actually riding at the 20 mph posted speed limit and will ride to the right to allow cars to pass.

But you get these impatient drivers who just don't give a hoot and get angry at some guy on a bike making their commute 5 minutes longer. You even have to watch it when coming from the opposite direction because these geniuses pull into oncoming traffic to get around the cyclist.

If both groups respected each others rights, it wouldn't be dangerous - but you go ahead and be responsible for another persons death regardless of the cyclist breaking the law. Many times they aren't - your just ignorant of what the laws actually state.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

colliehauler

Mc Pherson KS USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/09/19 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2012Coleman wrote:

camperdave wrote:

Driving 101. Don't outdrive your sight lines. Could be a bicyclist, a deer, a homeless drunk sitting in the street, a pool of oil, you don't know what's around the next corner. As a life long motorcyclist and ex-road bicyclist, I'm quite aware of the dangers around me.

I don't pass a bicycle if I don't have the room. Sometimes that means going REAL slow and getting honked at for a while until either a) space opens up to make the pass or b) the bicycle pulls off and lets me by.

There are a whole lot of impatient drivers out on the road these days, I gave up road cycling about 15 years ago and stick with mountain biking now. I'm a good cyclist, but I don't trust people. Seems like every few months there's another cyclist killed by a car around here. Road riding does not pass the sanity test for me anymore.
You could be describing me - I used to cycle on the road, but now only use the trails because drivers these days are ignorant and impatient when it comes to cyclists.

In my area, in a residential area with no sidewalks, the cyclist is allowed to take the entire lane - lots of signs and graphics painted on the road surface. Most cyclists in these areas are actually riding at the 20 mph posted speed limit and will ride to the right to allow cars to pass.

But you get these impatient drivers who just don't give a hoot and get angry at some guy on a bike making their commute 5 minutes longer. You even have to watch it when coming from the opposite direction because these geniuses pull into oncoming traffic to get around the cyclist.

If both groups respected each others rights, it wouldn't be dangerous - but you go ahead and be responsible for another persons death regardless of the cyclist breaking the law. Many times they aren't - your just ignorant of what the laws actually state.
Very poignant, on the news they were just talking about the numbers of distracted drivers on the road accounting for more accidents then drunk or speeding drivers. I know riding a motorcycle that you have to be a extremely defensive driver.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Bicyclist/RV Death
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS