RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Real small motor homes; value?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  General Topics

> Real small motor homes; value?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
midnightsadie

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/19 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

X2 had them all now have a sprinter bought new in 2007, won,t go back.worth the money? looked ours up on nada still shows $40k held value better than most other class rv,s

JimBollman

Lost State of Franklin

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/19 07:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went from small popup truck camper to B last year because the wife has bad knees and couldn't get in the overhead bunk anymore. We went older and simple for our B and found one in very good condition with 67K miles. It is 20 years old but runs well and didn't break the bank. No wet bath just a porta potty, has roof AC, frig, sink, microwave and one burner stove, works great and is only 19' long and 8' 8" tall so we can go most anywhere with it. Works as our second vehicle when needed.

Went to a B rally back in May and parked with the high $$ Bs and some older than mine and we all got along great. Different approach to RVing most consider themself travelers not campers.

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/19 08:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimBollman wrote:

Went to a B rally back in May and parked with the high $$ Bs and some older than mine and we all got along great. Different approach to RVing most consider themself travelers not campers.

Good point! If I was going to spend the winter in one place, I'd want my 5th wheel back! Our 28' Class C went everywhere - was a great size other than needing an alternate car for National Park sightseeing. But now that we have a winter condo in FL - our time is spent sightseeing; and the vans are SOOOO nice to drive (car-like) and get in and out of various places

Pawz4me

North Carolina

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/19 05:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JimBollman wrote:

Different approach to RVing most consider themself travelers not campers.

That sums it up exactly.

And I think to a big extent the OP answered his own question by asking if they're a terrible value and then in the next sentence lamenting the high cost of used units. As MidnightSadie said, the Bs hold their value much better than other RVs.

We traded a 35' Class A for our B a little over two years ago. We had the A for ten years and it was great for our needs then--we were traveling with two growing boys and two dogs and usually stayed in one spot for a few days. Now it's just me, DH and a small dog and we enjoy road trips, staying somewhere different each night. The B is absolutely perfect for us now, and we've never once regretted trading the A for it. For us the tradeoff in space and having to spend all of two minutes wiping the bath down after showers is well worth the benefits.

Me, DH and Yogi (Shih Tzu)
2017 Winnebago Travato 59K

pasusan

Northernmost PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/28/19 05:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't disagree with the prices... We bought our B at 12 years old and it cost more than our first house. And *then* we had to build a new garage with high doors so it wouldn't have to sit outside. We are not rich by any means and we couldn't be happier with our B.

Can't really take a shower inside and it doesn't have an oven, but we are happy with the compromises. It has been fun to plan differently and learn to live with the limitations.

As far as traveling versus camping - we do both in ours. Haven't even dewinterized the trailer this year - it just seems so cumbersome once you are used to nimble.

"I'm out here to enjoy nature -- don't talk to me about the environment!" ~Denny Crane

Susan & Ben
2004 Roadtrek 170 for quick getaways
84 Bronco & 90 Award Classic 23 joined with a Hensley Cub for longer trips
Trip Pics

steveh27

Grosse Pointe Woods, MI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/28/19 07:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had my Class B, a 1997 Xplorer 230XL, the best of the B's when it came out, since 2000. I got it for $27,000 and will never sell it. I sleep in it 60-75 nights a year, and full time in FLA for Feb-Mar. I am single & usually travel solo. I usually stay in one spot for 6 days or so.

I do not like the Sprinter vans for several reasons; diesel not gas, seem too narrow and tall, and too expensive.

debandi

Austin

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/19 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We gave up the full time life a year ago due to some health problems, moved into an apartment, sold the 40 ft American Eagle. Now the most of the health problems have left us so we went shopping for our 11th rv and came up with a 2006 Roadtrek Freightliner Sprinter Van that had everything any of our last 10 rvs had and is easier to park and gets better fuel mileage. It also takes less than 2 hours to wax!

We did try a couple motel/restaurant trips but they were not the same.

John Spear RMCS(SW)USN RET '88
Debra is my 'nagagator'! She tells me where to go.
Enjoying our 2006 Roadtrek Adventurs RS

jrobe

Eau Claire, WI

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/19 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

B’s seem expensive at first until you start doing the math. It is hard to build a cheap Sprinter based RV when the bare van starts out at $45k. Then you add all of the same appliances as a bigger RV including a furnace, water heater, 3 tanks, AC, stove, sinks, refrigerator, microwave, TV, etc etc etc.. Then they have to customize it to fit into a very small space like trying to fit a full size computer into a laptop or phone case. Then there are fewer used ones on the market compared to other RV’s so the resale value remains high based on supply and demand. Buyers frequently expect these to be cheap but the math doesn’t add up.

AsheGuy

Raleigh, North Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/19 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Three are many RV types because there are many people with different needs that buy them. If Class Bs don't meet your needs, that's fine. But no need to come to this forum to badmouth them just because they don't meet your needs.

Personally, we are one time RV buyers. When we were both retired and started considering an RV we looked around some, mostly at Class C's (most RV dealers carried few if any Class B's) and we were not moved to purchase. Then we by chance passed a Sprinter Class B on the highway and had to look it up on the Internet to see what it was. It turned out to be a Sprinter based Class B.

We ended up buying a LTV Sprinter-based Class B. We have now had it over 14 years and have 150K miles on it. It has met our needs (travel with few stays more than 2-3 days, compact and can go anywhere, quick to set up camp and to get on the road, all we need inside, etc.) and we would make the same choice again with no hesitation. But that was just our preference and our form of travel/camping.

David & Margaret - 2005 LTV 210B 3S
- Our Blog -

Trekkar

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 08/02/19 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To compare RV types is like comparing RV'ers: No two are going to be just alike. The class B's are currently the largest segment of the RV industry, and many folks want all the bells and whistles. Add to that the YouTube channels about RVLife, and it all helps add fuel to the Class B boom.
What seems to be flying under the radar are the custom shops and components available to add just what you want on a class B van, for a lot less money.

We downsized from a Class A to a B years ago, and never looked back.
(smaller than a Sprinter!) We don't need a toad, can go anywhere, and park anywhere. We like to meander, and I don't know of anything that gives more options than a B.

2001 RoadTrek 190

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  General Topics

> Real small motor homes; value?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS