RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Real small motor homes; value?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  General Topics

> Real small motor homes; value?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Jayco-noslide

Galesburg,Il., USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/19 12:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I enjoy checking out these newer "motor homes" based on the Sprinter, and similar chassis because of their obvious attractions; nice driving, better MPG, park anywhere, etc. But am I the only one who thinks they are a terrible value and a toy for the wealthy? I can't even find used ones for less than $50000 or so. It seems like paying lots extra to go small, have a wet bath, folding bed, little storage and just no room. It's not that I want a big diesel pusher; far from it but can't afford these newer Bs. A small older style class C, new or used, seems way more bang for the buck?

Jayco-noslide

Son of Norway

Denver, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/19 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are not the only one. But there are plenty of people buying them even if they are just a toy. When we looked at out HR my wife said, "It's too big." Now she wouldn't want anything smaller.

Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/19 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Class B’s (IMO) are the most expensive you can buy considering storage space in or out, conveniences, bathroom, kitchen features, sleeping, lounging space, and so on. It is a very large amount of money to be able to park anywhere, and to have the safety features required of vans.

I’m not sure they are “Toys for the wealthy” though. Some use them as daily drivers too which helps justify the buy. I know when I had a 2000 Winnebago / VW Camper I used to to go back and forth to the golf course, and back=k and forth to work.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004

hotjag1

Lake Chelan, Wa/Lake Havasu, Az.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/19 01:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, I've though the same thing myself. $75k to 100k for a fancy van with a wet bath. They are nice but we don't want a wet bath. The Dynamax Isata listed in our sig has a dry bath which is one of the main reasons we bought it.

hotjag1
2003 40' Allegro Bus, 3 slides, 400hp 8.9 liter ISL Cummins

2000 24' Dynamax Isata

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/27/19 01:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, they are expensive in comparison to other RV types. But for some they are worth it.

I ended up going with an old small class C. I first looked at a pickup and TC, but even used that combo was more than I wanted to spend as I didn't already have a pickup. My clipper is 20.5 feet long. It works great for me with the dogs, parrot and now cat. My old boss has a sprinter that he customized himself. He and his wife are fine in it and can carry a kayak easily. But they have no dedicated bathroom and do all their cooking outdoors. The inside is basically a platform bed (kayak underneath) and the cab.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/19 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jayco-noslide wrote:

I enjoy checking out these newer "motor homes" based on the Sprinter, and similar chassis because of their obvious attractions; nice driving, better MPG, park anywhere, etc. But am I the only one who thinks they are a terrible value and a toy for the wealthy? I can't even find used ones for less than $50000 or so. It seems like paying lots extra to go small, have a wet bath, folding bed, little storage and just no room. It's not that I want a big diesel pusher; far from it but can't afford these newer Bs. A small older style class C, new or used, seems way more bang for the buck?

Double ditto. You'll get no argument from me.

First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Bacon is the duct tape of the kitchen.
Magnus

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/19 02:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the true Class B's are expensive because all of the components (bath/kitchen/etc) need to fit inside the skin of a cargo van. There's advantages as mentioned above; but in the case of my TALL husband, none of them offered a bed he would fit in. We ended up taking a Transit cargo van and doing a (simplistic) build-out ourselves. Think "steel tent" with room for a small kitchen and a porta potty.... and an almost King-sized bed....LOL!

I should add another benefit of the really small RVs: the ability to drive on roads in National Parks that are size-restricted, like the Going-To-The-Sun Road in Glacier!

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/19 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's all in what you want. There are economy cars and luxury cars.
Is a Mercedes really worth 80K more than a chevy?
Truck Camper are probably the worst value. They are 30K and don't even have wheels ....LOL.
But it all boils down to camping style. You have a minimalist style, you don't want a 5 slide 5th wheel that I perceive to be a better value simply because I think I'm getting a lot of room for my money.
There are those that prefer motorized simply for the added convenience and ability to just go.
But the truth is none of it is a necessity. RV's in general are a luxury.
Very few use their RV's for survival. In the end we all use it for extracurricular activity.
Singling out Sprinter chassis as though they are the most overpriced is sort of silly. WE generally choose are units to fit are camping style, we buy what we like.
Sure we all have budgets but the best value is a travel trailer, yet we all don't just choose TT's just because they are the best bang for the buck.
Claiming the Sprinter chassis are just overpriced toys, leaves out a lot of other RV's that are just overpriced toys.

* This post was edited 07/27/19 06:55pm by Lantley *

2019 Duramax w/hips,2012 Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
H-head TPMS,BD3,RV safepower,17" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/19 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

Truck Camper are probably the worst value. They are 30K and don't even have wheels ....LOL.

yep
and a large one needs a truck that is almost up in cost with the B van.
bumpy

magicbus

Nantucket Island, MA

View Profile

Posted: 07/27/19 03:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Yes, they are expensive in comparison to other RV types. But for some they are worth it.
. That pretty much sums it up. I’ve had 5 different RVs and have traveled a lot of miles. Our Sprinter is the most fun of them all and now suits our needs perfectly.

As we were closing the deal on our Sprinter my wife pointed to a 34 foot gas class A for the same price. I asked if she wanted to look at it and her response was “no way”.

Different strokes for different folks.

Dave

Current: 2018 Winnebago Era A
Previous: Selene 49 Trawler
Previous: Country Coach Allure 36

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class B - Camping Van Conversions  >  General Topics

> Real small motor homes; value?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS