RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Roads and Routes: I10 Fl. to Ca.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> I10 Fl. to Ca.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
otrfun

Desert SW

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/19 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bob213 wrote:

You will be too busy getting beat to death by the the terrible I10 road conditions to worry about the weather. After a 5 week trip that included a lot of I10 I would find another route if it were me, even if it meant driving more miles.
IMO, the road conditions on I10 are no better or worse than any other interstate----except in LA. There's a 30-40 mi. stretch of I10 in LA where the concrete slabs are off-level from each other to the tune of 2-4". Every 40-50 ft. your rig is slammed up and down. I've driven this same, messed-up stretch of I10 since the 80's. Find it mind-boggling they've never taken the time to repair it after all these years.

one_strange_texan

New Caney, TX (when not on the road)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/01/19 09:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Lake Charles I-10 bridge was built in 1952 by Earl Long's administration. Earl was the younger brother of Huey P. Long. It is narrow and steep and not built to interstate highway standards. I would suggest going around it due to the those conditions as well as the general curviness of I-10 going through Lake Charles proper. However, the alternate, I-210, is disadvantaged by widening on the Calcasieu River bridge, which has it down to 1 lane each way. Highway construction in Louisiana proceeds at its own pace, which I liken to the movement of a glacier.

one_strange_texan
2015 Montana 3402RL
2015 Ram Diesel 3500 4WD single axle

yr2017

Montana/Panama

View Profile

Posted: 08/03/19 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ppine wrote:

It is a matter of luck. North Texas and NM can have some cold weather and snow in December. Timing is everything on a trip like that. Watch the weather and be ready to layover for a day or two if necessary.

I-10 doesn't go that way. You're referring to I-40

Big AL -
1977 Skookum 53, DD453, slps 6, 2 heads in Panama - cruising the Pearl Islands

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Roads and Routes

> I10 Fl. to Ca.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Roads and Routes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS