|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Correct inflation of trailer tires

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/19 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Optimistic Paranoid wrote:

sgfrye wrote:

drsteve wrote:

Inflate to max inflation as shown on the sidewall.

x2
no need to overthink it. has worked for me. autos, boat trailer tires, and motorcycles

As far as cars, vans, pickups, and motorized RVs go, inflate your tires to maximum and go to a mall before it opens. Use a piece of chalk to put a line across each tire, and drive a couple of hundred yards. Then check your tires. In most cases - depending of course on your vehicle weight - I think you will see that the chalk is worn off in the center, but not at the edges, which indicates that not all of the tire tread is making contact with the road.

It seems self-evident to me that this is NOT optimum for either steering traction or braking in the shortest distance. And I suspect you will also be more prone to hydroplaning in the wet than if your tires were making complete contact with the road.

Both Goodyear and Michelin have downloadable RV tire publications, available here:

Recreational Tire Care Guide

RV Tire Guide

They both warn against overinflating tires because of lessened traction, braking and steering.

BTW, the Michelin Guide also says that an overinflated tire is more prone to impact damage

I am talking only about tires on a towable. Max sidewall inflation has been working for me for 30 years. No tire problems on my TT, ever.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

pitch

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/30/19 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Inflate your ST's to max to get maximum use.
Who the hell weighs each side? What do you do adjust your inflation because the gallon of milk you drank has changed the formula?
Why do some have to make everything an exercise in engineering? Now if you have 7 anvils over the left side maybe you should look at lateral scaling,other than that, eh maybe not all that important.

OMG we are down to less than half fresh water, pull over and adjust the inflation before we burst into flames and die!

Some of you guys could suck the fun out of an Ice Cream Social!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/19 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sgfrye wrote:

drsteve wrote:

x2
no need to overthink it. has worked for me. autos, boat trailer tires, and motorcycles

Fwiw, that’s actually under thinking it by a good margin.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500 deezul
"Obviously I don't want to overload my truck and be unsafe, but the reality is the truck is way more capable than the 10K GVWR they put on the sticker.
KJ"

BillyBob Jim

US

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/19 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pitch wrote:

Some of you guys could suck the fun out of an Ice Cream Social!

That's a good one LOL. [emoticon]

Optimistic Paranoid

East Nowhere NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/19 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

drsteve wrote:

I am talking only about tires on a towable.

I know. That was directed towards the OTHER guy, who apparently runs his CAR tires at max inflation . . .

Planning

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/19 06:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Per Goodyear:

"...it is recommended that trailer tires be inflated to the pressure indicated on the sidewall of the tire. Trailer tires experience significant lateral (side-to-side) loads due to vehicle sway from uneven roads or passing vehicles. Using the inflation pressure engraved on the sidewall will provide optimum load carrying capacity and minimize heat build-up."

Reams of information here by a tire engineer supporting sidewall cold inflation pressure as being optimum to reduce interply shear.

http://www.rvtiresafety.net/search/label/Interply%20Shear

With tires on multi-axle trailers, like RV trailers, the belt (interply) shear forces can be 24% higher than the belt shear forces of identical size, load and inflation tires on a motorized vehicle.

The internal structural forces are different for torque than for high "slip angle" which is the situation in trailer application. Front tires on cars, motorhome or tow vehicles experience slip angle usually in the 1° range while trailer tires are subject to angles in the 10° and greater range. The forces are NOT linear. 10° can generate significantly more shear than 1°.

2016 AF 29-5K; 2016 F350 6.7, 4x4, CCLB DRW

TravelinDog

Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 08/06/19 02:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

sgfrye wrote:

drsteve wrote:

x2

Fwiw, that’s actually under thinking it by a good margin.

Some people just like to overthink and complicate everything.[emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Correct inflation of trailer tires
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS