RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Do I need to replace converter? What is the issue?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Do I need to replace converter? What is the issue?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/19 12:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Get your own load tester. About $60.for a decent one. Saves having to remove & lug battery anywhere. It will tell you if battery is at fault very quickly.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/19 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Analysis via derivatives is extremely risky. Get a volt panel meter that has been certified accurate by testing and user comments and reviews and that will improve diagnostic accuracy by 90%. The risk implied is arriving at an incorrect diagnosis wasting time and money.

Include battery VOLTAGE readings along with derivative comments and you are sure to get comments that are light-years more on-point and accurate. [emoticon]

myredracer

Langley B.C.

View Profile

Posted: 07/29/19 01:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our WFCO died in it's 3rd season. It tripped the 120 volt breaker and I could smell overheating wire. It also killed the battery. I *think* the WFCO never did charge the battery properly from new as it never seemed to keep a charge very long at all. They are known to overcharge and boil out batteries and often don't go into bulk charging mode. You can read the stories about them being garbage but may not believe them until it happens to you. If you were to see a PD unit beside a WFCO, you'd be amazed at just the physical difference alone.

You might also try checking the ground and positive connections between battery and charger/converter including mini-circuit breaker. Using a voltmeter and with battery disconnected, what voltage is the charger showing and same with battery?

After replacing our WFCO converter with a PD unit and upgrading to an AGM battery, I also installed an LED voltmeter so I can regularly keep tabs on the voltage.

Gil, Deb & Dougal a 15 year old Springer Spaniel
2014 KZ Spree 262RKS, Reese DC WDH, shocks and Endurance LRE tires
2012 GMC Sierra 2500HD crew cab, Bilstein shocks, heavy duty trailering option

rrupert

NW PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/19 06:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It wasn't mentioned but if the campground power wasn't up to par there could have been a low voltage condition that may have contributed to the 120-volt breaker tripping when the microwave was operated. I don't know what effect that could have on the converter.

Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch
Amateur Radio K3EXU

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 07/30/19 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

THere are many ways Converters fail. the WFCO's have a favorite mode and you have NOT described it at all. Just so you know but other failures are possible.

OPNspaces did a good job of covering most of them.. And I do not think the only one left is possible with your WFCO But It is with my Progressive Dynamics
(It is a plug in model with a cord and plug that plugs into an outlet.. I suspect you can guess that from time to time I snag the cord and unplug it).

If the unit needs to be replaced.. Progressive Dynamics is the way to go in my opinion They are simply the best. Period.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Do I need to replace converter? What is the issue?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS